On holiday in Johannesburg and desperate about what to do with the kids? There is no cause for concern. Despite being a concrete jungle, there are plenty of things to do with children:
• Gold Reef City – themed around the Johannesburg gold rush in the late 1800s, Gold Reef City is an entertainment complex that comprises a theme park.
• Johannesburg Botanical Gardens and Emmarentia Dam, just 6km from the city centre, provide a great open space and recreational area and a popular weekend picnicking site. (See nature reserves)
• Johannesburg Zoo – home to more than 2 000 animals, among them the rare white lion.
• Reefsteamers Train Tours to Magaliesburg – for a day trip with a difference, travel to the picturesque town of Magaliesburg and back on a classic old steam train.
• Sci-Bono Discovery Centre is the largest science centre in Southern Africa and offers more than 300 world-class science exhibits, which are all interactive and contemporary.
• South African Air Force Museum for those who love all things aviation and who have a passion for military history. (See museums)
• Zoo Lake is located off Jan Smuts Avenue across the road from the Johannesburg Zoo and offers one of the city’s best daytime picnic spots with an assortment of activities for visitors of every age.
• Croc City Crocodile Farm provides the opportunity to observe one of the world’s most spectacular predators at close range and to hold a hatchling.
For more info contact Joburg Tourism.