Balule Satellite Camp - Kruger Park is situated on the southern bank of the Olifants River in central Kruger Park, approximately 11 km south of Olifants Restcamp and 87 km from Phalaborwa Gate.
It has a high, protective fence because of the lushness of the area and animals that sneak into the camp.
Without shops or restaurants, the camp is ideal for persons seeking solitude.
Named ‘Balule’ after the Tsonga word for the Olifants River, this camp is one of the best places for guests to experience nature first hand. Situated more or less in the centre of the Park, just south of Olifants Camp, Balule lies close to the mighty Olifants River.
With only the most basic of facilities and no electricity, a low fence is the only barrier that separates you from the wilderness, resulting in a true back to basics experience. It is this unique wilderness feel of the camp that makes it a firm favourite with backpackers, the caravanning community and other visitors who want to get away from it all.
Areas of special interest out of camp are:
Baobab Tree on Gravel Road to Letaba
Accommodation at Balule Satellite Camp - Kruger Park
15 x tent or caravan sites, without power points. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities. Maximum of 6 people per site.
6 x rustic 3-bed huts with communal ablution facilities. The huts have no windows - only vents. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and gas stoves is available. Limited space is available in a communal freezer.
Balule Camp is managed from Olifants Camp. Guests are required to report to Orpen, Satara, Olifants or Letaba camps for check-in. Accommodation at Balule camp is ideal for backpacking, camping and caravanning communities looking for a self-catering bushveld experience.
A daily conservation is payable at all National Parks.
- There is no electricity in the camp, however, lanterns are provided.
- There is a communal kitchen with scullery and gas stoves, and a communal freezer.
- One ablution block is provided.
- There are no shop, restaurant or ATM facilities available.
- No reception office at camp.
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations of National Parks before making a booking.
Kruger Park Access Information:
It is important to read more about the upgrade on the access control system for the Kruger National Park.
Regulations when Exiting the Park:
In order to improve overall controls some changes have been made to the check-out process at camps in the Kruger National Park and your assistance and co-operation is kindly requested in this regard.
Guests are reminded that only guests with valid exit permits will be allowed to exit the park. For day visitors these are issued upon entry at gates and for overnight guests these are issued by the last camp on the guest itinerary.
Camp Site (CK6): Check in allowed from Olifants or Satara camps, Extra vehicles are charged a fee per night, No power, No restaurant facilities available in this camp.
Hut (EH3): 3 single beds, Basin, Check in allowed from Olifants or Satara camps, Communal ablutions, Communal Kitchen, No restaurant facilities available in this camp, No smoking, No utensils.
- No cancellation fee will be incurred for cancellations made after payment of first deposit up to and including 46 days prior to arrival.
- Cancellation fees equal to 50% of the total reservation cost is payable in a case of cancellation made between 45 days and 30 days prior to arrival.
- Cancellation fee equal to 100% of the total reservation cost is payable in a case of a cancellation made between 29 days prior to and date of arrival
- 100% of the total cost for any non-arrival/no-shows
Reservation made within 45 days prior to arrival is payable within 24 hours from the day reservation is made.
- Conservation levy is always excluded from the booking amount and needs to be settled on arrival.
It is your responsibility to check if the reservation is correct. Should the reservation be incorrect, please contact our office immediately.
If the arrival date of the itinerary is postponed prior to or on date of arrival and then cancelled at a later stage, the fees that applied at the time of amendment will be enforced if the amount is greater than the new cancellation fees.
Cancelling or downgrading of a reservation 45 days prior to or on arrival will result in cancellation fees according to a sliding scale (based on the total reservation cost) which varies between 50% and 100%.
Should the reservation not be taken up on the arrival date the accommodation will be held until 09:00 the following day after which the reservation will be cancelled and the deposit, where applicable, forfeited.
Take the N1 toll-road to Polokwane (Pietersburg). 40 km before Polokwane turn right onto the R71 and head for Tzaneen. After Tzaneen head towards Phalaborwa and the gate.
Allow between 6 to 7 hours for the trip to the gate. Balule Satellite Camp is 85 km away from the gate.
Allow about 3 hours for the drive to the camp; however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!