What can you do if you have a day spare in Port Elizabeth? The city offers a diverse mix of attractions as a family and adventure holiday destination. From scenic nature; long golden beaches; historical heritage; popular surfing-spots and many more.
We suggest you spend your day:
- Visiting Bayworld which offers a variety of live animal displays, including dolphins, seals, penguins, fish, snakes and crocodiles
- Visit any of the Port Elizabeth Museums – The Castle Hill Museum, the King George VI Art Museum and Gallery and the St. Croix Motor Museum are a few of the many museums in Port Elizabeth.
- Take the Apple Express – the famous narrow gauge steam train running regularly to Thornhill Village.
- Visit the Boardwalk on the Humewood beachfront and / or Brooke’s Pavillion Entertainment Complex
- Visit Historical Beacons such as Dias Cross (a replica of a cross for St Gregory donated by the Portuguese Government) and the Donkin Lighthouse Building (the city’s original lighthouse, located on Donkin Reserve and built in 1861.)
- Enjoy the Beaches
- Visit an Art Gallery such as the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum, Arts Journey, Fisher’s Art Gallery or Ron Belling Art Gallery
- Hike or walk the Cape Recife Nature Reserve
Port Elizabeth has something to offer for everyone and if you do not know what to do, call Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism at +27 (0) 41 582 2575. They’ll make sure that you will not be bored.