River Lodge - Lion Sands Game Reserve
is the origin of the Lion Sands safari – our soul safari. Here guests can expect a sophisticated interpretation of the traditional safari lodge, with an emphasis on clean lines, optimised natural light and contemporary décor.
Living spaces include a Safari Lounge and Bar, Barista’s Station with artisanal coffees, Gallery (showcasing the works of renowned local artists), and OneLife MORE boutique.
The dining experience includes the traditional Boma ‘with a twist’, the signature Riverbed dinners and deck dining, in the shade of the trees and overlooking the Sabie River. Breakfast is a home-styled experience.Lodge facilities include:
- a Spa
- a main swimming pool area
- a ‘Memory Lab’, where guests will be able to print their photographs on canvas
- a Firepit for sociable nocturnal gatherings beneath the stars. Accommodation at River Lodge - Lion Sands Game Reserve:
River Lodge’s accommodation comprises 8 Luxury Rooms, 6 Superior Luxury Rooms and 4 River Suites (each with its own plunge pool). One of the River Suites has 2 bedrooms.Game drives:
Game drives, in open safari vehicles, head out each day at sunrise and again in the late afternoon. Lion Sand’s natural animal population includes the Big Five, and the reserve is especially renowned for the quality of its leopard viewing – the most elusive of predators. With exclusive traversing rights on both Lion Sands’ Sabi Sand and Kruger Park sections, guests are assured a truly intimate safari experience. A maximum of 16 vehicles are allowed out on the reserve at any one time, and the number per sighting is also limited. This ensures the animals feel at ease and guests are able to spend more time with them, observing their natural behaviour.
- Duration: ±3 hours
- Includes: a hot beverage or sundowner stop in a scenic spot to purely appreciate being in the bush and in the moment
- Children 10 years and older are welcome on the twice-daily game drives
- Children of all ages are welcome on private game drives*Walks:
These are our after-breakfast walks on the wild side. Guests are immersed in the bush, rather than just observing it. All five senses are engaged, as they feel scrub crunch beneath their feet, touch the velvety acacia seed pod, hear the crack of a branch indicating they are not alone, and spot big game at eye level – exhilarating! Our expert guides will tailor walks to each of our guest’s area/s of interest, focusing on mammals, birds, insects, plants, geology, etc.
- Duration: 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on guests’ fitness levels
- Children under 16 years are not permitted on the bush walks
- Guests over 60 years must present a medical certificate of good health
- Guests should wear: neutral-coloured clothing; comfortable walking shoes; a hat; sunglasses; and sunscreen
- Guests should bring along: a lightweight dry mac jacket; camera/smartphone; and binocularsAccess to Lion Sands Game Reserve:
The driving time from Johannesburg to Ivory Lodge and River Lodge is approximately 5 hours. Should you choose to drive, we recommend
staying over a night at any of the mountain or country lodges along the Panorama Route to ensure you arrive at us fresh the next morning and
ready for a spectacular safari experience.
Excellent, but the pools need cleaning, if you plan to swim, it's not the place. Otherwise, the food is excellent, service is great.. overall fantastic.