The perfect weekend destination from Cape Town, Mount Ceder offers visitors a host of relaxing accommodation options and exciting activities in the Cederberg Mountains. Nestled in a valley of the Grootrivier, surrounded by rugged and dramatic mountains, Mount Ceder lies within easy reach along the main route through the Cederberg mountain range. It is a great wilderness area with majestic views, amazing spring flowers, rugged mountain bike rides, walks and hikes – perfect for the young and not-so young.
How you enjoy the beauty of Mount Ceder is up to you. Walk in the mountains with no one around, clamber over the unique rock formations or swim in the perennial river with the kids. Of course, you could also simply relax in this piece of unspoiled paradise in the luxury of your house. At the end of an activity-filled day settle down with a relaxing drink on your veranda, or enjoy a wholesome 3-course meal at the Old Mill House restaurant, accompanied by superb wines from the region.
Mount Ceder Self Catering Accommodation in Cederberg:
Mount Ceder offers guests a host of accommodation options to suit every budget and family!
- 3 Eco houses in the valley, each sleeping 2 people.
- 3 houses closer together, each sleeping 4 people. Ideal for family groups wanting to stay together.(3* ungraded).
- 3 campsites each with own ablution facilities, sleeping 6.
- 5 larger cottages spread along the valley and river, each sleeping 6-8 with lovely loft rooms. (4* graded).
- 1 luxury cottage with a Jacuzzi, air-conditioning, stunning views and loft, sleeping 6. (4* graded).
Please note no pets are allowed at Mount Ceder.
Old Millhouse Restaurant:
Serving sumptuous, home-cooked meals, the Old Millhouse is the ideal place to begin your day with a hearty breakfast, or to relax at the end of the day with a glass of fine wine and a wholesome, three-course meal.
The Old Millhouse is a licensed restaurant, serving breakfasts, light lunches and dinners. The meals are served on a fixed menu basis and cater for most dietary requirements. Evening meals do need to be pre-booked 24 hrs in advance and any special dietary requirements made known when booking. Kiddies meals will be prepared with pleasure. NB: Breakfasts, dinners and formal meals need to be booked in advance.
- Full Mount Ceder Breakfast includes Cereal, Fruit Salad, Yoghurt, 2 slices of Toast, Egg, Bacon, Tomato, Mushrooms and Sausage. A fresh pot of Coffee/Tea and Fruit juice supplied with all breakfasts.
- Thinking of taking a drive or a hike, why don’t we pack a lunch for you? Lunch Packs include sandwiches, fruit juice, fruit and snacks.
- Dinners (19:00) includes a home cooked three course meal on a fixed menu (specific dietary requirements must be requested). Fully licensed with a selection of Boland Cellar and Cederberg Cellar wines, the Old Millhouse restaurant is the perfect spot to unwind and enjoy Cederberg hospitality.
- Braai packs can also be ordered from reception and include a selection of meats and some salad. Remember to pick up some firewood at reception.
Breakfasts are served from 08h00 to 10h00, light lunch is available after breakfast until 16h00 (after this time the staff are preparing for dinner). The Restaurant is open from 08h00 until 17h00. If there are guests for dinner, it will open again at 19h00 until 21h00.
Dinners must be pre-booked 24 hours in advance and breakfast must be pre-booked by 17h00 the night before.
A small country shop allows guests to purchase cooldrinks, fruit juices and various homemade preserves. Olives are grown on the farm and a selection of olive products are for sale in the shop. Kiddies treats abound. Mount Ceder is proud to be bottling fresh spring water under their own label which is available to guests.
Don’t forget to pick up some olives, dried pomegranates and blueberries: all grown on the farm! For more information on our olives, visit In Our Greenhouse.
Secret Cederberg Sundowner
Easy guided walk to two rock art sites. Plus 30 minute hike to Rietrivier canyon viewpoint and back for sundowners.
Duration: 2,5-3 hours
Secret Cederberg half day hike
Introduction to fynbos; learn about ancient rock art on a short wilderness walk to iconic rock art and rock formations; ending at the Rietrivier canyon viewpoint. Packed meal included (brunch, lunch or sundowner).
Duration: 3-4 hours.
Secret Cederberg Full day hike
This 6 hour hike is for those with a sense of exploration. Clamber through caves, crevasses and otherworldly arches to discover the fascinating and unique rock formation and rock art that has been kept a secret for many years. Packed meal included (brunch, lunch or sundowner).
Tuinskloof Rock Pool Nature walk
Guided hike down to rockpool with seasonal waterfall; followed by an easy but lively trail through rugged unspoilt mountain vistas leading back to Mount Ceder; climb over boulders or follow the river back to your accommodation. Snacks included (**camping 1 night can be arranged)
Olive oil tasting
Learn about olive oil making and taste up to four different olive oils at our Tasting Room.
Duration: 45 min.
Olive grove tour & olive oil tasting
Tour of the olive grove and working farm; olive oil making and tasting. End with a Sundowner.
Duration: 2 hours
In the event of a confirmed booking not being amended in writing, the following cancellation policy will apply:
• 10% Cancellation Fee applies to all confirmed bookings which are cancelled before 61 days prior to arrival
• 31 – 60 days prior to arrival - 30%
• 15 – 30 days prior to arrival - 50%
• 0 – 14 days prior to arrival - 100%
• All bookings require a 50% deposit at time of booking to confirm the reservation. • Payment of the full accommodation account is required 14 days prior to arrival. • A 10% non-refundable cancellation fee will be charged on all bookings cancelled before cancellation fee period applies.
Mount Ceder is an easy 3 hour drive from Cape Town.
* From Cape Town - travel along the N1, through the Huguenot tunnel towards Worcester.
* At Worcester turn left onto the R43 towards Ceres.
* Take the R303 to Ceres and Prince Alfred’s Hamlet.
* At Op-die-Berg turn right onto the road to Kagga Kamma.
* Where the tarmac ends take a left onto the road to Algeria and Clanwilliam. This is a gravel road but is in good condition. Follow this road for approx 34km and your will see Mount Ceder on your right.
32 38’ 58"S I 19 24’ 31"E