Karoo National Park
| Karoo National Park Outdoor Activities
| Nuweveld 4x4 Eco Trail
| Karoo National Park Wildlife
Karoo National Park is dominated by the lofty Nuweveld mountains and rolling plains, where many species which originally occurred here now occupy their former ranges.Karoo National Park
has a wide variety of endemic wildlife. Many species have been relocated to their former ranges - such as black rhino and buffalo, as well as Cape mountain zebra. Over 20 breeding pairs of black eagle find sanctuary within the park.
The Great Karoo is a vast and unforgiving landscape and being the largest ecosystem in South Africa, it is home to a fascinating diversity of life, all having adapted to survive in these harsh conditions.
There is also a wide diversity of succulent plants and small reptiles at Karoo National Park.
Karoo National Park is a convenient stopover on the N1 route between Cape Town and Johannesburg. Facilities at Karoo National Park
- Fully licensed a la carte restaurant which is open for breakfast and dinner from 07:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 18:00 p.m. to 21:00 p.m. respectively.
- Shop where curios and basic commodities may be purchased between 07:30 a.m. and 20:00 p.m.
- Interpretive Centre
- Washing machine and tumble drier in the camping site. Tokens are available at reception for R10.
- Picnic, braai and ablution facilities for day visitors at Bulkraal picnic site.
- Doornhoek picnic site in the game viewing area.
- Swimming pool for resident guests only.
- Public telephone
The town of Beaufort West
is 12 kilometres away from the rest camp, with shops, a golf course, pharmacy, fuel station, hospital, bowling green, and the Chris Barnard Museum. Accommodation at Karoo National Park
All accommodation is serviced daily and equipped with bedding, towels and soap. Breakfast in included in the accommodation costs, with the exception of camp sites. View Room Types and RatesCamping at Karoo National Park:
24 Award-winning camping and caravan campsites amidst a veritable green oasis in the rugged Karoo environment .
All caravan sites equipped with 220V power points. A maximum of six persons, one caravan with a side tent and one vehicle, or one tent and one vehicle, or one auto villa or one motorised caravan will be permitted per site.
Laundry with a washing machine and tumble drier is available. Important Notice
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees
which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations
of National Parks before making a booking.
Entrance to the Park is from the N1 and the restcamp is approximately 12 km south from the town of Beaufort West.Gate Hours:
• 05:00 – 22:00
• Arrivals after 22:00 are not permitted without prior arrangement.
• The reception office is open from 07:00 to 19:00.
• Visitors with reserved accommodation who will arrive after 19:00 must make prior arrangements to collect the keys to their accommodation at the entrance gate. Internal Road Network:
All internal roads are tarred, with the exception of the 4x4 Trail. Coaches and buses cannot access all roads in the Park – drivers should contact Park Reception for more information.
Please note that the Park’s Klipplaatsfontein 4x4 route has been temporarily closed. We apologise for any inconvenience and will advise once it has been re-opened.
Karoo National Park Activities: Karoo National Park Outdoor Activities
include a variety of activities such as hiking, game viewing, scenic drives and more. The Nuweveld 4x4 EcoTrail
(90km) and Afsaal EcoTrail (13km) are available to visitors in 4x4 vehicles. Karoo National Park Wildlife
is comfortably viewed on game drives because of the sparse vegetation.
Important: Please note that the Game drive vehicles are not operational and we are unable to offer night and morning drives with the Parks vehicles. We await our new vehicles as the repairs are too costly on the old ones. We apologise for the inconvenience caused by this.
Click to display the map
Health & Climate:
Annual rainfall totals 260mm, with the plains being hot in summer, and the mountain areas relatively cool throughout the year.
During mid-winter snow occurs regularly on the peaks of the Nuweveld Mountains.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The cottage was very comfortable, clean and neat. The breakfasts that were included were satisfactory and tasty. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The resort is in excellent condition. What stood out especially was the kitchen facilities with stoves, hot coffee water and freezing facilities.
Beautiful place. Loved our stay here.