Step into the welcoming arms of a luxury lodge with character, people with heart and the bushveld alive with possibility. Welcome to Jock Safari Lodge
Jock Safari Lodge is situated in the Big Five area of the Kruger National Park with its southern boundary being the old wagon route from Delgoa Bay into the gold fields of the interior.
The wilderness experience Jock Safari Lodge offers is unchanged from these early times. It is in an area noted for its diversity in game, particularly the BIG FIVE.
Jock Safari Lodge incorporates the romance and elegance of the past colonial era, and reflects in its unique style the indigenous Zulu and Shangaan cultures. It is approximately 35 km from the Skukuza airstrip and 50 km from the Kruger International Mpumulanga airport in Nelspruit.
Magnificent trees and an abundance of bird life surround the Lodge. Jock is located in a malaria area, but incidents are very low. Guests are advised to take precaution though.
Accommodation at Jock Safari Lodge:
Main Jock Safari Lodge
Twelve individual thatched suites, screened by lush trees and reed walls, offer guests utmost luxurious privacy, creating a unique experience of gracious old world elegance surrounded by unspoilt wilderness. All the suites are named after places of interest in the tale of “Jock of the Bushveld” - the treacherous Pettigrew’s Road, the trading posts of Delagoa Bay and Komatipoort.
Each suite, with queen or twin beds enveloped in a canopy of voluptuous white netting, has its own personal “sala” (thatched viewing deck), plunge pool, romantic Victorian ball and claw bath, his and her vanities and outdoor shower. The suites have been built overlooking the rivers and offer breathtaking river bed frontage, bushveld vistas and game viewing. Each suite is also fully equipped with 5 star amenities such as air-conditioning, fans, tea and coffee making facilities, mini bar and safe.
Fitzpatrick’s at Jock
With only 3 suites, Fitzpatrick’s at Jock will ensure that personal service is always a priority for the lodge’s friendly staff. Each of the 3 luxurious suites are equipped with their own viewing deck, indoor or outdoor showers and guest amenities. While the dining and entertainment area offers both alfresco and indoor dining facilities allowing guests the unique opportunity to experience the gracious style of old world elegance surrounded by unspoilt wilderness.
Fitzpatrick’s at Jock suites boast beautiful views into the unspoilt Kruger bushveld and guests can also relax in the comforts of the central lounge overlooking the banks of the Biyamiti River. This lodge can either be booked as a whole lodge with its own personal chef and game ranger or as individual suites.
Children are welcomes - all ages. Upon arrival the host and/or ranger will discuss activity options with the family taking the family’s size, children’s ages and the weather into consideration.
Jock Safari Lodge Activities: Game Drives and Walks
Traversing through the reserve, the wildlife is sometimes staggering in its diversity. Enthralling sightings of elephants, a sea of buffalo horns rising from the grass as they lie resting in the growing heat as well as prides of lions, awaits one.
Pilgrims Rest Spa
The Pilgrims Rest Retreat offers an escape to enjoy some pampering. Awaken your senses and allow us to rejuvenate body, mind and soul.
For the avid birdwatcher, abundant species of bird are regularly seen on the concession.
Throughout the concession, rock art sites dating back more than 3 000 years are found depicting the spiritual beliefs and lives of the San.
With the absence of artificial light, the stargazing at Jock Safari Lodge is phenomenal and amongst the best in Southern Africa.
Kids on Safari
Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is a 3 room stand-alone lodge offering families personal service in an intimate atmosphere. Each child will receive a gift pack containing small gifts, most of which they can use during their stay at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock.
Jock Safari Lodge Map:
Clothing & Accessories:
Generally, casual comfortable clothing is suitable throughout the year but you may want to include items such as:
- Light cotton tops and cotton trousers / shorts in summer
- Long-sleeved blouses / shirts for game drives or safaris (even in summer, they will protect you from the sun and from mosquitoes)
- Safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- Shorts or a light skirt
- Jeans or safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- Khaki, brown, and beige colours - for game hikes and safaris. White is not a suitable colour for most game viewing or hiking safaris. Firstly it increases your visibility quotient to the animals you want to get a closer look at and secondly, it will get dirty very quickly.
- Fleece or sweater and a windbreaker for game drives, because it is highly possible that you may go out on a hot day, but be faced with a chill evening on your return. Some areas have a steep temperature gradient. ie: Hot days and very cool nights.
- Sunblock, sunglasses, hat, insect repellent, moisturiser, lip salve - these are essentials. The African sun is harsh most of the year.
- Comfortable walking shoes or sturdy hiking boots. Sneakers and trainer type footwear is not suitable for game or safari hikes, especially white footwear.
- Layers are most practical for the fluctuating day / night temperatures of Africa. Dull and / or neutral colours are more suitable for safari.
- Cotton clothing is recommended for summer. It is best to pack hardy, durable clothing.
- Anti- Malaria medication is optional.
Health & Climate:
Kruger experiences winter and summer at the opposite times as Europe and North America and they correspond to the dry and wet season, respectively. The wet summer months (October to April) are hot and often humid. Dry winters (May to September) are warm and mild although it cools off considerably at night. It is advisable to take warm clothing for early morning and evening game drives. During the wet season it rarely rains all day, but afternoon thundershowers are common.
South Africa has world-class medical facilities, with a large network of hospitals that offer excellent services. However, please ensure that you have adequate health insurance as a safety precaution.
An enjoyable experience with a lovely setting, good service and food. The ranger however may want to sharpen his people skills.