Nestled amidst the lush vegetation in the South-Western corner of the majestic beauty that is the Kruger National Park. Jock Safari Lodge
emerges at the pinnacle where the Mitomeni and Biyamiti rivers flow as one – a space for breath-taking wildlife sightings. The lodge with a natural wildlife terrain of 6000 hectares and exclusive riverbed traversing rights, offers guests one of the best Big 5 game viewing experiences in the country.
Rich in historical heritage, Jock is the first private game lodge within South Africa’s largest national park and was inspired by the well-known tale of Jock of the Bushveld by Sir Percy Fitzpatrick, a story of courage and loyalty set during South Africa’s first gold rush era.
Traverse through this exceptional landscape on twice-daily game drives as well as wilderness walks with highly experienced game rangers and witness an abundance of bird life and a staggering diversity of wildlife, including the endangered wild dog.
Rates are inclusive of two game drives per day, one in the late afternoon and one early in the morning, guided wilderness walks, all meals including High Tea before the late afternoon game drive and a unique Boma dinner experience, a selection of house beverages and game drives beverages.
Rooms:Accommodation at Jock Safari Lodge:
This colonial-styled safari lodge offers guests a unique stay, showcasing elements of history, fauna and flora, tranquility, conservation and fine cuisine in the 12 individual thatched suites at the Main Lodge or 3 luxurious suites at the nearby Fitzpatrick Lodge.
The suites at the Main Lodge are screened by lush trees and reed walls, assuring guests of a serene and secluded stay. Each suite leads onto a private deck with plunge pool, sala, an outdoor day bed, all with a spectacular view of the riverbed.
Each suite at the main lodge can sleep a maximum of two adults and features a full en-suite bathroom complete with an outdoor shower and luxurious modern amenities such as air-conditioning, private mini bar, hairdryer, bathrobes and slippers, electronic safe, and tea and coffee making facilities.
Fitzpatrick`s Lodge is the perfect haven for small groups, families and individuals seeking to unwind amidst the natural surroundings offering three perfectly appointed rooms that cater for children. Room 1 is completely private with its own deck and plunge pool while Room 2 and 3 have been enclosed to create a family unit with two luxury suites with bathrooms, sharing a private foyer, deck and plunge pool. This new lodge can either be booked as a whole lodge with its own personal chef & game ranger or as individual suites.
Each luxurious suites features a full en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning, a private mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, bathrobes and slippers, and an electronic safe.
Jock Safari Lodge Activities: Game Drives and Walks
Traversing through the reserve, the wildlife is sometimes staggering in its diversity. Enthralling sightings of elephants, a sea of buffalo horns rising from the grass as they lie resting in the growing heat as well as prides of lions, awaits one.
Pilgrims Rest Spa
The Pilgrims Rest Retreat offers an escape to enjoy some pampering. Awaken your senses and allow us to rejuvenate body, mind and soul.
For the avid birdwatcher, abundant species of bird are regularly seen on the concession.
Throughout the concession, rock art sites dating back more than 3 000 years are found depicting the spiritual beliefs and lives of the San.
With the absence of artificial light, the stargazing at Jock Safari Lodge is phenomenal and amongst the best in Southern Africa.
Kids on Safari
Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is a 3 room stand-alone lodge offering families personal service in an intimate atmosphere. Each child will receive a gift pack containing small gifts, most of which they can use during their stay at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock.
Click to display the map
Clothing & Accessories:
Generally, casual comfortable clothing is suitable throughout the year but you may want to include items such as:
- Light cotton tops and cotton trousers / shorts in summer
- Long-sleeved blouses / shirts for game drives or safaris (even in summer, they will protect you from the sun and from mosquitoes)
- Safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- Shorts or a light skirt
- Jeans or safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- Khaki, brown, and beige colours - for game hikes and safaris. White is not a suitable colour for most game viewing or hiking safaris. Firstly it increases your visibility quotient to the animals you want to get a closer look at and secondly, it will get dirty very quickly.
- Fleece or sweater and a windbreaker for game drives, because it is highly possible that you may go out on a hot day, but be faced with a chill evening on your return. Some areas have a steep temperature gradient. ie: Hot days and very cool nights.
- Sunblock, sunglasses, hat, insect repellent, moisturiser, lip salve - these are essentials. The African sun is harsh most of the year.
- Comfortable walking shoes or sturdy hiking boots. Sneakers and trainer type footwear is not suitable for game or safari hikes, especially white footwear.
- Layers are most practical for the fluctuating day / night temperatures of Africa. Dull and / or neutral colours are more suitable for safari.
- Cotton clothing is recommended for summer. It is best to pack hardy, durable clothing.
- Anti- Malaria medication is optional.
Health & Climate:
Kruger experiences winter and summer at the opposite times as Europe and North America and they correspond to the dry and wet season, respectively. The wet summer months (October to April) are hot and often humid. Dry winters (May to September) are warm and mild although it cools off considerably at night. It is advisable to take warm clothing for early morning and evening game drives. During the wet season it rarely rains all day, but afternoon thundershowers are common.
South Africa has world-class medical facilities, with a large network of hospitals that offer excellent services. However, please ensure that you have adequate health insurance as a safety precaution.
Jock Safari Lodge Guest Review
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 1
An enjoyable experience with a lovely setting, good service and food. The ranger however may want to sharpen his people skills.
Rating: Reviewed by M. Alfadl over a year ago