Leshiba Wilderness lies in a hidden valley on top of the Soutpansberg mountains in Limpopo Province, one of the countrys most unique bio-diverse environments.
Transcending expectations, this private reserve is something special, family-run, offering a uniquely African experience with luxury touches, warm hospitality and rich memories. Leshiba offers a unique, authentic and holistic African experience.
Climb above clouds and walk with rhino in a diverse mountaintop environment. Stay at the Venda Village Lodge, unlike anything else in Africa; a hand sculpted, luxurious, artistic wonderland. Activity trails, horse riding, rock art, game viewing, astronomy, and more.
Leshiba is a unique reserve with an abundance of wildlife, including white rhino, giraffe, the rare brown hyena, porcupines, pangolins and the elusive leopard.
Excellent birding with over 250 species, including Verreux and Crowned Eagle, Cape Vulture, Purple Crested Turaco. Be treated to an African Eden as all the animals gather in the vleis in the early mornings and evenings.
For an experience which reflects the soul of Africa, visit ancient rock art sites, walk along the marked trails over open plains or under dense canopies of indigenous forest or hike down rocky gorges, join a game drive, or guided walk within our hidden valley.
Leshiba offers horse riding for experience riders by prior arrangement. Bring your mountain bike and explore our wilderness. Rejuvenate the soul with holistic healing in the form of massage using an indigenous range of local massage oils, Reiki or crystal healing treatments (by prior arrangement only).
- Take the M1 North out of JHB. Get onto the N1 North to Polokwane (Pietersburg). At Polokwane follow signs N1 to Makhado (Louis Trichardt). Take the N1 to Makhado (Louis Trichardt).
- At Makhado (Louis Trichardt), the first main 4-way stop that you come to is Rissik Street or the R522 to Vivo. *NOTE* If you put your speedometer to 0 at this first four way stop it is 36.1km to our turn off.
- Turn left into Rissik Street. The BP garage that you will come to on the left is the last fill up spot. Take Rissik Street all the way out of Makhado (Louis Trichardt) and +- 31km outside of town you will cross over a railway line.
- Carry on over the railway line for +- 4.7km and you will cross over the SAND RIVER Bridge. After the bridge +- 300m down the road you will see our sign on the right hand side. Turn right onto the gravel road.
- *NOTE* There are a number of gates along the road, which may or may not be closed. Please leave these the way you find them. Follow all signs to Leshiba. Carry on along the dirt road. After +- 3km's, you will come to a farmhouse on your left.
If you have pre-arranged a transfer and have called to inform the Lode of your time of arrival, please Park your car in the Parking Bays Provided. Someone from Leshiba will meet you here.
- After the farmhouse, a few hundred metres up ahead, the road forks and you keep to the right. Continue following the signs that say Leshiba. Follow the road up the mountain to our gate and from there stay on the main road and go past the first sign that says RECEPTION.
- At the second RECEPTION sign, turn right and follow all signs to THE VENDA VILLAGE, where you will be checked in. NB. Please ignore the signs that say 'gate locked' and ensure that you close the gate properly.
IMPORTANT TIPS WHEN DRIVING UP THE MOUNTAIN:
- Keep the car in first gear the whole way up.
- Try not to use your clutch too much.
- Try to take the drainage bumps at an angle rather than driving straight over them.
- If you travel very slowly you should have no difficulties. When you reach Makhado and if at any time you would rather we came and fetched you, please don't hesitate to let us know.
The Venda Village Lodge is an authentic traditional village re-created by internationally renowned artist Noria Mabasa. This artistic wonderland of sculpted walls, seating areas, figures and entrances breathes the mystical spirit of Venda.
Sculpted sun-baked courtyards open up to en-suite African style huts in our Venda Village Lodge, see Standard Rooms. Luxury suites, Mwedzi and Duvha, offer a romantic and secluded stay with private plunge pools and patios overlooking the animals grazing on the plain below.
Hamasha Bush Camp offers self catering accommodation for 8 people and is nestled in an amphitheatre of high cliffs, with magnificent views through the gorge to the north.