Truly the most amazing beachfront property in Vilanculos, Mozambique.
Archipelago Resort has 18 casas, restaurant and bar with magnificent views
of the constantly changing vistas of the Bazaruto Archipelago. A crystal clear pool set in lush gardens is perfect for cooling off or even for a spot of exercise!
Archipelago Resort boasts safe coconut fringed beaches in front of the ever changing tides of the Ancient Channel. The Vista Do Mar restaurant serves crab, lobster and prawns - night and day cocktails from the bar are our specialty.
The casa verandas have breath-taking sea views. The restaurant specialises in seafood and Portuguese cuisine, whilst the bar is renowned for its exotic cocktails.
There is a swimming pool, slipway, boating and dive facilities.
Accommodation at Archipelago Resort
There are 18 beautiful Indonesian styled casas which offer exquisite views of the Indian Ocean.
They are fully equipped and sleep 6 comfortably.
Each casa offers:
2 bedrooms (1 double bed and 2 single beds)
2 bathrooms (one en suite) and a mezzanine bedroom with 2 single beds.
Large living and dining area, an open plan kitchen (fridge and freezer combo unit), walk in pantry and a separate store room. Ceiling fans throughout.
- Light cotton tops and cotton trousers/shorts in summer, light shoes, hat/ cap a must.
- Long-sleeved blouses/shirts for boat cruises, which will protect you from the sun.
- Safari trousers, jeans or casual pants for evenings and cooler days. A fleece or sweater is required for those cool winter evening and mornings.
- Swimwear, snorkel, mask, fins (we have these for hire - if you have you own you are more than welcome to bring them).
- Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen (a tanning lotion and a high factor sunscreen for your face, neck, feet and hands).
- Sandals, to protect ones feet from the coral.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Camera film, extra memory cards and batteries, these are difficult to find in Mozambique and should they be available they will be expensive.
It is imperative that you obtain malaria prophylactics before entering Mozambique. When purchasing these, please tell your doctor or pharmacist that you intend visiting Mozambique.
Whatever prophylactics you use, remember to complete the course as directed after leaving the malaria area. If you suffer from side effects, try taking your malaria prophylactics at night after dinner. Resistance to prophylactics is widespread so the best way to avoid getting malaria is to avoid being bitten.
Take precautionary measures to prevent contact with mosquitoes like:
Sleeping under a bed net or in a room/tent with mosquito proofing remember to keep the flaps zipped at all times.
Spraying your accommodation with insecticide.
Making use of a mosquito repelling lotion or stick; and wearing long sleeved clothing, trousers and socks when outside at night.
April to September:
Cool warm and dry, a little rain is received in these months (less than 50mm a month for Maputo) and daytime temperatures on the coast range around 20° - 29° C, while in the interior temperatures are generally cooler (around 5° C lower).
You can expect around 8 hours of sunshine a day. The further north you travel you can expect these figures to increase. This is the best time to visit Mozambique.
December to March:
Hot, sticky and rainy with storms usually in the afternoons, preceded by humid build-ups in the mornings. Rainfall of well over 200mm a month can be received. Temperatures generally range from 27° - 31° C while again it's less humid and cooler in the interior.
Best months to visit:
The cooler dry months, April to September, have excellent weather. November to December is normally best for birding activities. Remember summers are humid to very humid (tropical) in the north.
When travelling in Mozambique what to pack in your suitcase can be quite confusing, below are the basics. Generally, casual comfortable clothing is suitable throughout the year.
* Beach Sports
* Wind Surfing
* Horse Riding
* Water Taxi
* Dhow Booze Cruise
* Whale & Dolphin Watching
Failure of the guest to arrive, or cancellations made 0 to 14 days prior to the agreed arrival date forfeit 100% of the deposit.
Cancellations made 15 to 28 days prior to the agreed arrival date forfeit 75% of the deposit or 25% of the booking quote value whichever is the greater.
Cancellations made 29 days or more prior to the agreed arrival date forfeit 50% of the deposit or 25% of the booking quote value whichever is the greater.
Directions from the South - (South Africa (Nelspruit) to Vilankulos):
- Vilanculos is 750km by road from Maputo. The distance from Nelsruit to Vilankulos is 910kms.
- Follow the main toll road from Komatipoort to Maputo. Just before entering Maputo, you turn left onto the National road EN1 to the North
(Xai-Xai, Inhambane, Vilanculos, Beira).
- From this point the turn-off to Vilanculos is approximately 780 km and you will travel through Xai-Xai, Maxixe and Massinga.
- At Pambarra you will find the Vilanculos turn-off (to the right). Vilanculos is 20 km from the Pambarra turn-off.
- Our signs in the village will lead you to the Lodge, which lies approximately 5km north of the village.
- Driving Recommendations Obey speed limits, carry your drivers license and make sure your lights on your vehicle are all working.