Anford Country House and Restaurant is ideally situated between Johannesburg and Nelspruit and the Kruger National Park just off the N4 highway and offer accommodation and bed and breakfast facilities to travelers.
The first house on the site of Anford was initially built in 1872 by the Coetzee brothers Fanie and Andries on the farm that was then known as Hartebeesspruit. The old trading route between Pretoria and that time Lourenzo Marques now Maputo in Mozambique ran through the farm.
Post and trading wagons went by delivering and collecting post on these old routes. Many old outspan areas are located in the area. The old traders planted the many willow trees next to the rivers for shade when they next come that way.
The first house on the site of Anford was burned down by the English in their scorched earth policy during the second Boer war in 1901, and the Coetzee women and children was taken to the concentration camps in Belfast. The old Anford house was rebuild a couple of years later as a raw brick and mud building with corrugated roof.
It is also an ideal venue for a weekend get away with some excellent fly fishing only 2 hours from Gauteng. Anford House and Restaurant also caters for small conferences and weddings.
The restaurant has a well equipped kitchen and with the qualified staff, we cater for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We will also do catering for special occasions.
The style is fresh and healthy country food from the region like trout dishes as well as traditional meals like Bobotie and Oxtail. Enjoy fine food in the dining room that seats up to 40 people with a log fireplace, wooden floors and a panoramic view over the front garden and Elands river valley.
A good bottle of wine will complement your meal and you can round it off afterwards with a drink in the fly fishing pub with its cozy atmosphere.
- Follow the N4 towards Nelspruit past Witbank, Middelburg and Belfast.
- Continue on the N4 past Belfast and the Engen Garage towards Machadodorp for + 12 kilometers.
- You will see the St Micheils white rocks on the hill on your left above the first dam.
- Slow down as just past the white rocks before the road turns to your right, you will see the Anford turnoff on your left.
- Turn in and drive over the dam wall and follow the road through the forest for about 1 kilometer and you will arrive at Anford house.