A true South African culinary adventure.
Join us at African relish for a culinary adventure of the senses. Nestled at the bottom of the Swartberg Pass, Prince Albert is home to the seasonal produce we highlight in the cooking courses. We take you foraging in the veld and towns organic vegetable gardens or in our Tuk Tuk on a foodie tour. Guests get to meet artisans and farmers and harvest ingredients for the cooking lessons.
The cooking school with its cottages was established 12 years ago. We highlight the tastes of the area through its seasonal produce, local artisans and farmers. Join us to meet these producers and use their ingredients in your class.
Our accommodation provides self-catering, air-con and private gardens plus use of the African Relish pool. Activities include botanical and town based walks, cycling and olive and cheese tastings.
Wedding & Events
African Relish offers an exclusive wedding service to match the budget for small weddings. Prince Albert has both church and courthouse and the wedding party is able to bring their own minister or officiant.
A reception of up to 70 seated guests can be held at African Relish. We have the capacity for 100 seated guests in a party tent. We are not limited to catering and venue hire, we offer flexible packages including decor, flowers, staffing and bar facilities.
- Lunch and dinner served in our Chef’s Cafe
- Half day cooking courses
- Full day cooking courses
- Weekend Masterclasses
- Visit our Deli for foodie items, ready-made meals and gifts
- Ghost walk and village ramble
- Botanical walk, 2 hours
For cooking courses and excursions please bring comfortable shoes. Sun hat and sunscreen recommended during summer for outdoor excursions
Accommodation is provided in our own and select Prince Albert guesthouses that offer spacious bedrooms, air conditioning, heating and private gardens. Our accommodation consists of handpicked and renovated cottages in this charming Karoo town.
Deurdrift Cottage 1:
1 bedroom air-conditioned with King size bed or 2 singles with en-suite bathroom, 1 library room with single bed/couch and fan. Lounge, Wi-fi. Fully equipped kitchen with fireplace. Covered stoep with outdoor furniture. Large private garden. Off street parking.
Deurdrift Cottage 2:
1 bedroom air-conditioned with King size bed or 2 singles with en suite bathroom, lounge. Wi-fi. Fully equipped kitchen with fireplace. Guest toilet. Covered stoep with outdoor furniture. Large private garden. Off street parking.
1 bedroom with Queen size bed with en suite bathroom. 1 bedroom with King size bed or 2 singles with en suite bathroom. Air conditioned with fans, lounge. Wi-fi. Dining room with fireplace, Fully equipped kitchen, Covered stoep with braai and outdoor furniture. Large private succulent garden. Off street parking.
1 bedroom air-conditioned with King size bed or 2 singles en suite bathroom. Wi-fi. Large family room with open fireplace. Fully equipped kitchen. Private garden. Off street parking.
A 50% deposit is required upon booking to confirm the reservation. Balance of payment is required 30 days prior to arrival. Please note that if the deposit is not received by the required date, your reservation will be regarded as cancelled.
- 25% of fee if cancelled 30 to 15 days prior to arrival.
- 50% of fee if cancelled 14 to 08 days prior to arrival
- 100% of fee if cancelled 7 to 0 days prior to arrival.
- 20% single supplement applies.
From Cape Town:
- Drive north along the N1 towards Hugenote Tunnel towards Worcester. Proceed to De Doorns, Touws Tiver and on to Laingsburg. 89 km north of Laingsburg you will reach Prince Albert Road.
- Turn right onto the R407 towards the mountains and Prince Albert. After 45 km you will enter the village. Pass the BP Garage, drive approx 2 km along the main road until you reach African Relish on your left.
From Oudtshoorn via Meiringspoort:
- Take the N12 to De Rust and then drive through Meiringspoort. Pass the village of Klaarstroom on your left and approximately 5 km further turn left onto the R410 to Prince Albert.
- The 45 km drive takes you through the Prince Albert valley towards the village. When you enter the village you will pass Albert’s Mill on your right, approx 2km from this point you will reach African Relish on your right.