Shakati Private Game Reserve
is hidden away on the lush banks of the Mokolo river in the heart of the Waterberg bushveld paradise. Waterberg is registered as an internationally protected UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Shakati Private Game Reserve is located 20 km west of the town Vaalwater, only 3 hours drive from Johannesburg.
Time spent at Shakati Game Reserve is about getting away from city life, work, traffic and stress. It is about peace and tranquility, clean fresh air and clear skies. It is about being quiet and listen to the jackal calling at night, to the paradise flycatcher singing in the morning. It is about viewing wild animals and birds, touching the fruits of the bush willow -and wonder about nature.
Shakati offers a spectacular private game reserve with a small luxurious safari lodge. The main complex has separate guest lounge, dining area, large braai/barbeque area, swimming pool and a beautiful, lush garden. The lodge has 3 fully equipped self-catering chalets (each sleeping 4-6 persons) and own braai/barbeque facility. The lodge accommodates 12 people comfortably and 18 at maximum.
Shakati Game Reserve boasts:
River frontage, rocks and ridges, spectacular views and large indigenous bush and savannah areas.
Plenty of wildlife - Giraffe, Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Eland, Waterbok, Blesbok, Warthog, Impala, leopard, Jackal, Porcupine etc. Due to the absence of Elephant and Lion it is safe to walk around in the reserve. Elephant and Lion you can see in the close-by Marakele national park.
Prolific bird life – one of the highest bird diversities in the Waterberg with 270 bird species on the list. Waterberg is internationally registered as Important Bird Area (IBA). Shakati is member of BirdLife South Africa and listed as Birder Friendly Establishment.
Sleep at waterhole - The hide at the waterhole is equipped with benches and 2 beds. Overnight here and follow the night activity and sounds of the African bush.
Hunting camp with hunting at neighbouring areas.
Cell phone reception in the reserve/at the lodge, internet cafe in Vaalwater town 20 km away.
Accommodation at Shakati Private Game Reserve:
Safari lounge, main kitchen, lapa with bar and dining area, boma with braai/barbeque facilities, swimming pool and large, lush garden.
The 3 Chalets/guest houses
The chalets are identical and consist of 2 bedrooms (twin and double beds), spacious lounge with 2 couches and dining area, self-catering kitchen with freezer/fridge, bathroom and outdoor romantic shower. Private braai/barbeque facilities. All chalets have excellent view to the garden and the reserve. Sleeps 4 persons comfortably and 6 at a maximum.
1 daily game drive plus 1 game walk with the reserve manager.
Tours outside Shakati:
Shakati is also ideally located for day trips to other areas and attractions. Go on day trips to:
- Marakele National park,
- Pilanesberg National park,
- D`Nyala nature reserve,
- Nylsvley international Ramsar birding reserve,
- Makapansgat World Heritage Site etc.
- The town Vaalwater is only 20 km away
- Larger towns in the area: Lephalale, Thabazimbi, Modimolle, Bela-Bela.
- Pretoria with its historical buildings and vibrant life is only 2½ hours away.
More nearby attractions:
- Mama Tau lion breeding centre
- Masebe rock art
- Elephant-back rides
- Horse-back rides
- Several curio, crafts ad bead shops
- Butchers with various game meat
- Eventiria Private Zoo
- Gelucksfontein Goat Cheese Farm
- Orange-, Fruit- and Vegetable farms with road side shops
- Tobacco farms
- St. John the Baptist Church
- Auctions and wild life activities
Shakati Game Reserve Activities:
* Birding - one of the bird richest areas in Waterberg with 270 bird species on the list. Shakati is approved/registered as Birder Friendly Establishment (BirdLife South Africa)
* Fishing - enjoy fishing in the reserve river
* Game drives - morning or evening/night drive in a open safari vehicle. 1 free daily drive with manager
* Star gazing - the clear, unpolluted sky of Waterberg provides some of the finest and brightest star watching opportunities
* Bush walks - go on a self guided or guided bush walk and feel and touch the wild life and flora. 1 free daily walk with manager
* Hide at waterhole -view the wildlife and birds drinking, or sleep in the hide while listening to the night sounds of the African bush
* With Shakati as base you can visit i.e. the nearby Marakele National park, the Nylsvley RAMSAR flood plain, the UNESCO Cradle of Humankind and all the other listed activities
Shakati Game Reserve Map:
Clothing & Accessories:
Suitable for safari/game viewing visits all year round. Informal clothing, Green and khaki colours in the bush are best.
Bring binoculars, camera, practical shoes, sun screen and hat. A warm sweater/wind breaker for winter evenings and morning game drives.
Health & Climate:
Malaria free area.
Baie lekker plek. Dis gesellig geriewe is uit stekend bestuurder Otto Is baie behulp saam. Sal weer soontoe gaan . Sal die plek vir enige iemand aan beveel wat lief is vir die bos. Julle is tops.