Shakati Private Game Reserve is hidden away on the lush banks of the Mokolo river in the heart of the Waterberg Bushveld paradise. Waterberg is registered as an internationally protected UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Shakati Private Game Reserve is located 20 km west of the town Vaalwater, only 3 hours drive from Johannesburg.
Shakati offers a spectacular private game reserve with a small luxurious safari lodge. The main complex has separate guest lounge, dining area, large braai/barbeque area, swimming pool and a beautiful, lush garden. The lodge has 3 fully equipped self-catering chalets (each sleeping 4-6 persons) communal and private braai/barbeque facilities. The lodge accommodates 12 people comfortably and 18 at maximum. We also sell firewood.
Shakati Private Game Reserve boasts:
River frontage, rocks and ridges, spectacular views and large indigenous bush and savannah areas.
Plenty of wildlife - Giraffe, Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Eland, Waterbok, Blesbok, Warthog, Impala, leopard, Jackal, Porcupine etc. Due to the absence of Elephant and Lion it is safe to walk around in the reserve. Elephant and Lion you can see in the close-by Marakele national park.
Prolific bird life one of the highest bird diversities in the Waterberg with 270 bird species on the list. Waterberg is internationally registered as Important Bird Area (IBA). Shakati is member of BirdLife South Africa and listed as Birder Friendly Establishment.
Sleep at waterhole - The hide at the waterhole is equipped with benches and 2 beds. Overnight here and follow the night activity and sounds of the African bush.
Hunting camp with hunting at neighbouring areas.
Cell phone reception in the reserve/at the lodge, internet cafe in Vaalwater town 20 km away.
Accommodation at Shakati Private Game Reserve:
Safari lounge, main kitchen, lapa with bar and dining area, boma with braai/barbeque facilities, swimming pool and large, lush garden.
The 3 Chalets/guest houses
The chalets are identical and consist of 2 bedrooms (twin and double beds), spacious lounge with 2 couches and dining area, self-catering kitchen with freezer/fridge, bathroom and outdoor romantic shower. Private braai/barbecue facilities. All chalets have excellent view to the garden and the reserve. Sleeps 4 persons comfortably and 6 at a maximum.
Catering All types of catering are done such as B&B, lunch, full board, day visitor package and arrangements for small weddings, corporates, special interest groups etc.
Game drives/walks Go on drives or walks with our reserve manager.
Tours outside Shakati:
Shakati is also ideally located for day trips to other areas and attractions. Go on day trips to:
- Marakele National park,
- Pilanesberg National park,
- D`Nyala nature reserve,
- Nylsvley international Ramsar birding reserve,
- Makapansgat World Heritage Site etc.
- The town Vaalwater is only 20 km away
- Larger towns in the area: Lephalale, Thabazimbi, Modimolle, Bela-Bela.
- Pretoria with its historical buildings and vibrant life is only 2 hours away.
More nearby attractions:
- Mama Tau lion breeding centre
- Masebe rock art
- Elephant-back rides
- Horse-back rides
- Several curio, crafts ad bead shops
- Butchers with various game meat
- Eventiria Private Zoo
- Gelucksfontein Goat Cheese Farm
- Orange-, Fruit- and Vegetable farms with road side shops
- Tobacco farms
- St. John the Baptist Church
- Auctions and wild life activities
* Birding - one of the bird richest areas in Waterberg with 270 bird species on the list. Shakati is approved/registered as Birder Friendly Establishment (BirdLife South Africa)
* Fishing - enjoy fishing in the reserve river
* Game drives - morning or evening/night drive in a open safari vehicle. 1 free daily drive with manager
* Star gazing - the clear, unpolluted sky of Waterberg provides some of the finest and brightest star watching opportunities
* Bush walks - go on a self guided or guided bush walk and feel and touch the wild life and flora. 1 free daily walk with manager
* Hide at waterhole -view the wildlife and birds drinking, or sleep in the hide while listening to the night sounds of the African bush
* With Shakati as base you can visit i.e. the nearby Marakele National park, the Nylsvley RAMSAR flood plain, the UNESCO Cradle of Humankind and all the other listed activities
Clothing and Accessories:
Suitable for safari/game viewing visits all year round. Informal clothing, Green and khaki colours in the bush are best.
Bring binoculars, camera, practical shoes, sun screen and hat. A warm sweater/wind breaker for winter evenings and morning game drives.
Health and Climate:
Malaria free area.
- If cancelled less than 30 days before arrival forfeit deposit
- If cancelled 15 days or less before arrival, liable for full cost
- Contact Shakati office (082-410-1808) re. arrival time as the manager must let you in to the reserve
- Please note: note that a refundable R600 breakage/security deposit is payable in cash at arrival
- Request transfer/tour needs at booking time as well and we will refer you to a tour company. We do not do transfers ourselves.
- Shakati reserves the right to amend all tariffs at any time. Confirmed bookings shall be honoured at original rates.
- Shakati reserves the right to terminate the accommodation arrangements of a guest who behaves in such a manner that is deemed to be unacceptable, or is detrimental to the enjoyment of other guests or the reputation of Shakati.
- Shakati reserves the right to claim back from the guest any costs or charges incurred due to damage to the property whether accidentally caused or not.
- It is a condition that all guests have adequate insurance and medical cover.
- Complaints by guests - In spite of Shakati's best efforts, very occasionally a problem may arise. If you are unhappy about any aspect of Shakati's arrangements, please address your complaint immediately to the Manager, who will make every effort to resolve any problems there and then.
Facilities & Services available:
Children under 12
Airport Shuttle Service
Limited Room Service
Special Meals on Request
Self-Braai / Barbecue
Fireplace on the Premises
Parking (off-street - covered)
Hiking / Walking Trails