Named after Lord Charles Somerset in 1819, Somerset West has thrived and is now the commercial and residential capital of the Helderberg Basin whilst maintaining its village atmosphere.
Lying on the slopes of the Helderberg, the town is 6km inland from the False Bay coast and the resort towns of Strand and Gordons Bay, is 20km from Stellenbosch and its wine route, a mere 35 minutes' drive to Paarl, Wellington and Franschoek and forms an integral part of the Winelands Region.
The entire region is renowned for its scenic beauty, flora and fauna, wine and fruit, gastronomic experiences, friendly hospitality and historical heritage.
Somerset West caters for all sport lovers with 3 golf courses (including the renowned Erinvale), a country club, soccer, croquet, bowls, squash, tennis, cricket, hockey, a pistol shooting range and golf driving range.
The Helderberg wine route wine route is part of the greater Stellenbosch wine route and incorporates wine estates from 10km out of town, the oldest wine co-operative in the country, a brewery and wine estates bordering on the town.
About 15km from Somerset West on the N2 is the fruit route which starts at Elgin and the coastal Cape whale route to Hermanus.
* Historic Vergelegen
established in 1700 with its beautifully restored homestead and its unique underground winery.
* The old bridge over the Lourens River built in 1845
* The old NG Church around which the village originated in 1819;
* The old Pastorie dated 1819;
* The Firlands Farm Stall with its art and crafts, steam train, farmyard, pub, bakery/coffee shop and mini-golf course.
* The Country Craft Market with 150 unique handcraft stalls is renowned
* Somerset West caters for all sport lovers with 3 golf courses, a country club, soccer, croquet, bowls, squash, tennis, cricket, hockey, a pistol shooting range and golf driving range.
Walks and Trails
* Helderberg Nature Reserve - a bird lovers paradise, covering 245 hectares with fynbos and walks and trails which would suit easy walkers and serious hikers, with breath-taking views over False Bay to Cape Point;
* Boland Hiking Trail - a two or three day walk along the Hottentos Holland Mountain Range to Stellenbosch or Franschoek.
* Helderberg Farm Trail - on the R44 from Stellenbosch with splendid views across the valley and as far as Cape Town;
* Dick Dent Bird Sanctuary - Lower Victoria Street to Strand - a wetland with waterfowl, migrant waders and Ethiopian Snipe.