After the mission station Toverberg was closed in 1818, Dr John Phillip, superindent of South Africa, gave his name to this new missionary outpost in 1823, making it the Free State's oldest town.
Adam Kok, a Griqua leader, settled here with his people in 1826, and was established as a protector of the mission. When the government of the Orange Free State agreed to sell the land to Britain for 400 pounds, Kok left with his people, and migrated 500km to Griqualand east.
Mixed farming is the town's principal industry.
Philippolis is a town rich in history: Bushman, Griqua, Englishmen, Boer and Jew - each one of them made sure to leave their mark.
The Transgariep MuseumThe museum exhibitions portray the Griqua history, Emily Hobhouses Spinning and Weaving Schools, a horse mill and an open-air oven.
Adam Kok HouseHome of the famouse Griqua leader.
Dutch Reformed ChurchA elegant church, whose pulpit is hand-carved from wild olive wood.
Historic CannonsLocated on a hillock behind the Transgariep Museum are two cannons once used for the defence of the Griqua people by Adam Kok.
Horse MillA historical former horsedriven mill.
Van der Post Memorial GardenLaurens Jan van der Post born in Philippolis, December 13, 1906, the thirteenth of fifteen children - led an extraordinary and eventful life and one of great significance for our time; both in peacetime and in war.
Van der Posts relatives believed that no other place on earth was better suited as the final resting place for him than Philippolis.