Petrusburg, a rich agricultural centre, is situated 80km west of Bloemfontein on the R48.
Petrusburg was named after Petrus Albertus Venter whose estate provided the money to buy the farm Diepfontein, on which the town was laid out in 1891 as a church and commercial centre for an extensive farming area.
Mixed farming is practised in the 3000 square km which was excised from the Fauresmith district in 1863. The main activity is sheep farming. The main crops are maize and potatoes.
Modest quantities of wheat are harvested in the rare season when enough rain falls in winter and early spring.
There are numerous salt pans in the district.
Emmaus The centre point of South Africa- 20 km from the town.
Poplar Grove BattleWhere in Christiaan de Wet tried unsuccessfully to prevent British advancement into Bloemfontein.
Paardeberg Anglo-Boer War Monument 23 km Outside of the town.
Historic BattlefieldsThe Battle of Poplar River, wherein Christiaan de Wet tried unsuccessfully to prevent British advancement into Bloemfontein, is one of many battles that were fought in the area.
RondavelsBuilt with beer bottles next to the country lodge.
Two Block housesAt the entrance of the town, it is the Van Riebeeckfeespark (1652 - 1952)
Two MonumentsAt the entrance of the town, a tribute to the citizens past and present.