Genadendal (Valley of Grace) is approximately 90 minutes drive east of Cape Town in the Riviersonderend Mountains.
Genadendal has a rich spiritual history and was the first mission station in southern Africa. It was founded by Georg Schmidt, a German missionary of the Moravian Church, who settled on 23 April 1738 in Baviaans Kloof in the Riviersonderend Valley and began to evangelise among the Khoi people.
At one stage Genadendal was the largest settlement in the Colony after Cape Town and the mission station developed into a self- sufficient community. Home industries flourished, including amongst others the forging of knives (the well known herneuters) and Genadendal became an important educational centre.
The first Teachers' Training College in South Africa, now the Museum building was erected in 1838.
The old church buildings, the manse, the Memorial Garden, tannery, printing works, the store and a water mill all take visitors back into the Capes earliest origins.