is a rustic, peaceful, organic permaculture farm in the Botrivier valley.
What to expect:
- peaceful surrounds - the only noise you’ll hear will be your own, the birds, insects and the cows next door.
- Rustic setting - this is a farm, and uses dam water for the farmhouse and irrigation, a septic tank for black water, and grey water gets recycled into the surrounding garden. Drinking water is filtered and UV purified rain water collected from the roof. Hot water comes from gas, and solar panels provide the property’s electricity needs . There are Eskom backups. The cottage tap water is filtered and drinkable, but is slightly brown due to fynbos discoloration.
- Drinking water is supplied in each units kitchen. This is filtered and purified rain water, please bring your own if needed.
- The farm is blessed with plentiful water supplies from a private dam up the valley that supplies a dozen private farms. Irrigation of the farm and gardens are carefully managed to maintain the supply, and monitored by auditors and local farmers to ensure sustainability.
- organic permaculture farming - there is an established olive grove, fruit trees, and a vegetable garden.
- your own space - whilst the farm is small, each unit is self sufficient with its own private views, gardens and spaces.
- reusability and recycling - each unit has been built from reclaimed, up cycled, and local materials as far as possible to reduce the impact on the planet. All rubbish and waste is recycled to reduce the impact on rubbish heaps.
What not to expect:
- crystal clear water (the water is filtered and purified, but slightly discolored by the fynbos). 20 litre of drinking water is supplied per booking, please bring extra if this is not sufficient.
- nearby shops, restaurants or nightlife (except for the stars on clear nights). The nearest town with a restaurant is Botrivier, and there is a Spar in Villiersdorp, and Peregrine’s at the N2 turnoff. All are about 17 km from the farm.
- a bug free environment. There are bugs at night and some flies in summer. Tabbard spray is provided, please bring anything else you wish.
- no recycling - sustainability needs everyone’s help, and guests are asked to recycle rubbish in the bins provided, and separate waste, and rinse and recycle food packaging as much as possible. Also due to the septic tank, please do not flush any foreign material down the toilet or sinks. Please also don’t use any harsh chemicals or cleaners.
- Television - there are no television or television reception on the farm, but there is limited Wifi reception to keep in contact.
- Abuse of plants or animals on or around the farm - the farm is dog friendly, but there are resident cats and animals on the neighboring farms. Please clean up dog droppings, and be respectful of the environment. Each unit has its own enclosed garden for dogs to roam free. When using the public areas please ensure your dogs are able to get along with other guests dogs and animals on and around the farm.
Accommodation at UnderHill Farm:
There are two cottages on the farm:
UnderHill Farm house – sleeps 4 to 6
UnderHill Farm house was the existing Farmhouse on the property built from materials from renovated houses in the Cape Town area. Sash windows with shutters, mahogany doors and parquet floors provide an old world charm with modern amenities such as 5 plate gas hob, built in fridge, bar fridge and dishwasher. There is a large master bedroom with king size bed overlooking the stream along with indoor and outdoor bathrooms. A smaller en suite second bedroom with a queen sized bed and double doors leading to stoep and garden. A loft area above the main lounge has two single beds with a picture window framing the ancient oak tree.
Rivendell Cottage sleeps up to 4:
Rivendell is on the banks of the stream close to Bag End, but completely separate with no shared facilities, garden or views. There is a small enclosed garden to keep your dogs separate and for privacy along with a plunge pool, braai overlooking the stream, and large stoep with ample seating for lounging.
Inside is a large bedroom with a king sized bed / 2 single beds (if requested), along with a sunken lounge with two single beds.
Each cottage has its own:
- enclosed garden
- covered stoep and braai
- swiming pool
UnderHill Farm is set up as a guest farm for your relaxation and enjoyment, with each unit is carefully designed so you have your own views, privacy and space.
There are many things to do on and around the farm and including:
- relaxing by one of the streams under the oak and poplar trees on hot days
- hiking the Botrivier trail
- cycling the Van der Stel pass to Botrivier
- watersports at Theewaterskloof dam
- The hiking trail goes along the Botrivier from the corner of the farm joining with the roads to the left and right of the farm.