In the heart of the Blyde River Canyon, you will find umVangati House
, an intimate owner-run retreat that offers contemporary luxury, personal service, privacy and exclusivity.
Whether you are exploring the Panorama route, the Lowveld of Mpumalanga and the jewels of Limpopo, or getting acquainted with African Wildlife at Kruger National Park, our centrally located guesthouse is an ideal base to discover the area.
Understated elegance greets visitors to umVangati House, where the wraparound views of the majestic Mountains and African bush will take your breath away.
umVangati House immediately cuts you off from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. This is the ideal haven for those seeking to slow down, de-stress and repose. umVangati House is an adult (16+) only establishment.
Accommodation at umVangati House:
Wooden walkways lead to the three separate and spacious air-conditioned Mountain View Suites, positioned for privacy and dramatic Mountain views.
The 77 m2 suite has superb uninterrupted views of the Majestic Mountains, the lush indigenous bush, as well as the waterhole that is frequented by wildlife.
A Suite offers an extra length king size bed, en-suite bathroom with corner bath, dual vanity, walk-in shower and luxury bathroom amenities. The air-conditioned suite comes with fine Percale linen, business desks, free Wi-Fi and telephone to ensure you have a comfortable stay. For your entertainment, HD Dstv, tea and coffee nook and mini bar have been added to the suite. At dusk, a sun downer can be enjoyed on your private deck while being entranced by the ever changing colours of the sky.
The rooms and suites have been designed to embody the mountain and the decor echoes the simple tranquility only nature can offer.
Luxury King room
This luxury room comes with a private entrance from the wooden walkway, and is situated next to the Queen room at the main buiding. These suites have views of the indigenous bush. This 30 m2 air-conditioned room comes with an extra length king size bed, fine percale linen, and en-suite bathroom with single vanity bath and walk-in shower. The unit also has luxury bathroom amenities, HD DSTv and business desk. To ensure you have a comfortable stay, free Wi-Fi, telephone, mini bar and coffee station are included.
Luxury Queen room
This luxury room, with a private entrance from the wooden walkway is situated next to the King room and has views of the indigenous bush. The 26 m2 room comes with a queen size bed, en-suite bathroom with single vanity, walk-in shower and luxury bathroom amenities. This unit has air-conditioning, fine percale linen, business desk, free Wi-Fi and telephone. For your entertainment, we have added HD Dstv and a mini bar to the room.
All rooms are non smoking rooms. A scrumptious breakfast is served at the Main house on the patio where you can feast on both the food and the breathtaking view. umVangati House`s impressive walk-in domed wine cellar, is available for romantic private dinners on request.
umVangati House Activities:
umVangati House is perfectly situated in a beautiful setting close to numerous attractions like the fascinating Kruger National Park, the spectacular Panorama Route as well as interesting animal rehabilitation.
Guests can make the most of the host of activities that the lowveld has to offer, or simply escape to soak up the mountain air at umVangati House. Stargazing at umVangati House is phenomenal. How better to end a blissful day in Africa, but to sit reflecting under the star studded-canopy of African skies, the vastness of infinite galaxies stretching before one. The nourishing silences of nature will restore your heart and feed your soul.
Day Trips: Kruger National Park
- The Kruger National Park is well established as one of the foremost wildlife sanctuaries in the world. Measuring up at an impressive 18,989 square kilometers, the park is the largest in South Africa and is considered a must-see safari destination. The extensive and varied ecosystems, a wider selection of mammal species than anywhere else in Africa, many game viewing opportunities and optimum positioning amidst the attractive bushveld of the Limpopo and Mpumalanga provinces, the Greater Kruger Park is a complete safari destination. The nearest entrance gate, Orpen gate is 70 km from umVangati House.
Bourke's Luck - Panorama Route
- Blyde River Canyon Reserve is situated against the Greater Drakensberg escarpment and includes natural wonders such as the Bourke's Luck Potholes, the Three Rondavels, Pinnacle Rock and God's Window. Many visitors to this region enjoy the visual splendour of the Panorama Route and all the spectacular waterfalls. These unique geological features are all easily accessible on tarred roads.
Activities within 20 km: Hot Air Ballooning
- This excursion which leaves before sunrise is a stunning way to view both scenery and game while floating over the African bush.
Blyde Dam - Blyde dam boat trip
- This trip takes you into the heart of the Blyde Canyon. With the Three Rondawels standing guard, looking over the Canyon and the Kadishi Tufa Waterfall you can relax and just take up the wonder and beauty of the third largest Canyon in the world.
Rafting, Blyde River Canyon - Adrenalin Junkies
- If you are an adrenaline junkie then being bored here will be your own fault. If you want to get your adrenalin pumping, there's no better way than to visit the nearby Blyde Canyon Adventure Centre and tackle white water rafting on the Upper Blyde River. Because the Blyde River has steep gradients, the rafting is fast and furious, ranging from steep drops to long rapids. If you feel like taking it easy and viewing the scenery from a slower moving craft, then opt for tubing down the Lower Blyde River. Prefer leaping over waterfalls, scaling cliffs and then jumping into the crystal-clear waters at the canyon bottom? Then go kloofing. Fancy abseiling? Then put on your harness and take to the sides of the dam wall. Whatever your adventure fancy, the Blyde Canyon Adventure Centre is sure to fulfill it.
Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre
- This educational centre provides the home for many of South Africa's abandoned, injured and poisoned wildlife.Wherever possible, rehabilitated birds and animals are returned to the wild and those who are not so fortunate due to the nature and extent of their problems are used for educational talks to the many people who visit this centre from across South Africa and abroad.
Activities within 40 km:
The Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre focuses on the conservation of rare, vulnerable or endangered animals. Cheetah Conservation is one of their core disciplines. Following an introductory presentation on HESC, day visitors are treated to an in-depth tour of the Centre. Open safari vehicles with experienced guides depart on the hour. Moving between the various enclosures, guests can view cheetah, wild dog, lions, black-footed cats, African wild cats, ground hornbills, Sable antelope and much more in an up close and personal manner. Visitors are also given the chance to go on elephant-back safaris. Conducted in the early morning, the safari offers close contact game viewing from a magnificent vantage point. The Camp Jabulani herd of elephants are renowed for their beautiful temperaments and outstanding physical condition. This is truly a memorable and humbling experience.
Camp Jabulani - Elephant-Encounters - Nothing quite tops the first introduction to the Camp Jabulani elephants! Their sheer size and presence are humbling. You will have the chance to learn how these special animals were rescued and given a new home in the natural paradise that is the Kapama Private Game Reserve, together with their handlers who give them all the love and care that they need. An educational and entertaining presentation will give you the chance to learn interesting facts about the elephants' anatomy and their personalities. During this session you will be allowed to get up close and personal with our friendly herd, giving you the chance to take photograps of you standing next to these massive animals.
Hoedspruit Town - The small, tourism and agriculturally orientated town nestled between the Kruger National Park and the Blyde River Canyon is just 30 km away.
Click to display the map
Health & Climate:
Low Malaria risk area.