Umkhumbi Lodge is perfectly positioned to experience the best of the region, being very close to several wildlife reserves: Hluhluwe/Umfolozi, Mkhuze, Isimangaliso Wetland Park, Ndumo and Tembe Elephant Reserve.
Umkhumbi is the Zulu name for the Red Duiker, a shy small red antelope, which is our favourite and can commonly be seen picking its way across the forest floor. Nyala and Suni are regularly spotted.
Umkhumbi is also a good birding spot with unspoilt sand forest and a great species list.
Begin your evening by sipping sundowners with a view over the bushveld and enjoy swapping stories in the cosy Lapa area. The sunset is stunning from the restaurant deck and not to be missed!
Umkhumbi Lodge is easily accessible by road. We are about one and a half hours from Richards Bay Airport or two and a half hours from the King Shaka International Airport in Durban.
Onsite facilities include:
* Swimming pool
* Laundry service
* WiFi internet and guest computer at the office
* Safe for locking away valuables
* Private Restaurant and Bar for guests change to lower case restaurant, bar
* Walking trails
* Travel information
* Shuttle service to and from any location
Umkhumbi Lodge offers luxury accommodation in comfortable air-conditioned lodges, all nestled in the bush. We have 12 twin-bedded rooms.
Each lodge has 2 rooms with each it’s own en-suite bathroom. An inter-leading door makes these units perfect for families, as kids can easily sleep close by, while you still enjoy your privacy.
Each bathroom has a bath and shower.
All guest rooms are fitted with a fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, private veranda and aircon.
Umkhumbi Lodge Activities:
- Hluhluwe Imfolozi Park – full day safari in this big 5 park
- Hluhluwe Imfolozi Park – half day safari in this big 5 park
- Mkhuze game drives – a great bird and wildlife combo
- Ndumo day trips – excellent safari for bird watching
- Sodwana Bay – full day trip with snorkelling
- False Bay – guided walk with drinks
- Birding – guided walks
- Day trip to lake Jozini with boat cruise and picnic lunch
- Day trip to St Lucia with boat cruise or kayaking on the lake
- Cheetah and Serval rehabilitation centre – talk and feeding
- Elephant interaction – get up close and personal
- Turtle Tour – night beach walk to view turtle nesting/hatching
- Cultural walk – guided walk through a modern Zulu village
- Zulu Croc – guided tour of a snake and crocodile centre
- Scenic flights – a stunning area to fly over in light aircraft
Umkhumbi Lodge Map:
Clothing & Accessories:
Walking shoes and binoculars recommended!
Umkhumbi Lodge Guest Review
Average Guest Rating:
out of 5
based on 1
Comfortable and friendly. The staff were all very accommodating and Anton and Emma are great! We felt a "part of the family". Sipping wine and watching the sun set - what a combination!
Rating: Reviewed by Deirdre Larkan over a year ago
Other Accommodation near Umkhumbi Lodge:
Accommodation options within 8km from Umkhumbi Lodge include:
Guest Rating: (2 reviews)
Chumbi Bush House is the place to do some serious relaxation. A Holiday home set within a private nature reserve. The house is an easy drive to St Lucia World Heritage site, Sodwana Bay and Hluhluwe National Park.
Guest Rating: (3 reviews)
Situated near False Bay, 1km from False Bay entrance gate, 3 bedroom house divided into 2 units each with own entrance. Plenty living space, outside braai area and splash pool.
Guest Rating: (20 reviews)
Enjoy nature at it's best at our intimate, exclusive 10 bed Safari lodge in environs of World Natural Heritage Site, with abundant wildlife and over 340 bird species. Close to big five Hluhluwe and Mkuze Game Reserves, cultural venues and Sodwana Bay.
Located 20km north of the little town of Hluhluwe, Amorello provides both an ideal hideaway for a relaxing break or active family getaway. Mountain biking, quad tours, 9 hole golf course with driving range, swimming pool, etc.
per person sharing
Zululand Lodge is a tented safari camp, offering en-suite accommodation on the private uKuwela wildlife conservancy, with beautiful views over the northern KwaZulu Natal bushveld.
per person sharing