Thendele is situated in the Royal Natal National Park in one of the most picturesque settings in the country with a view of the world famous amphitheater from every chalet.
Thendele, one of the most beautiful, popular and scenic resorts, has the distinction of being the closest of the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife resorts to the high Drakensberg escarpment.
The resort nestles below colorful sandstone cliffs close to forests of rare yellowwood trees and stretches of Protea savannah. It provides easy and quick access to some of the most splendid mountain hikes, trails and scenic settings in Africa.
It is located close to the foot of the massive and iconic Amphitheatre flanked by the Sentinel and the Eastern Buttress.
The ribbon-like Tugela Falls, headwaters of KwaZulu-Natal’s biggest river, is the 2nd highest waterfall in the world, and is a stunning backdrop to any picnic.
Home to the Bearded Vulture (Lammergeyer) and Black Eagle who often disport themselves for visitors in the thermals that rise above the Mont aux Sources plateau, the surrounding valleys and ridges offer superb walks through an ever changing landscape with many upland birds and flowers.
The camp shop sells basic groceries and supplies for visitors convenience. The nearest town which has a full range of services is Bergville which is 50 kms away.
Accommodation at Thendele:
The camp is split into upper and lower sections. Thendele Lower Camp is the original accommodation that was built within the Royal Natal National Park and is older, the units smaller and the design of the 2 bed chalets quite different from those in the upper camp.
There is very little difference in the view between the two camps.
Thendele - Lower Camp:
Accommodation in 8 x 2-Bedded Chalets, 5 x 4-Bedded Chalets and 2 x 6-Bedded Chalets.
The self-catering chalets are fully equipped with linen, crockery, cutlery, stove, refrigerator and cooking utensils. Visitors must bring their own food supplies and wash their own dishes.
Thendele - Upper Camp:
Accommodation in 6 x 2-Bedded Chalets and 7 x 4-Bedded Chalets.
The self-catering chalets are fully equipped with linen, crockery, cutlery, stove, refrigerator and cooking utensils. Visitors must bring their own provisions and wash their own dishes.
Thendele Lodge, situated in the Royal Natal Park in the Drakensberg, is a tranquil, exclusive lodge with magnificent views of the Amphitheatre from every window within its own secluded garden.
Accommodation in 1 x 6-Bedded Lodge.
Thendele Lodge in its own special space well away from the main camp. Secluded fully equipped, self-catering lodge that comprises of a lounge, dining room, kitchen and three en-suite bedrooms. A cook is in attendance.
The lodge also has a fireplace inside and a barbeque area outside. The lodge is only available for a single group at a time. It is not booked per room, but by unit.
Services at Thendele:
- Chalets are serviced daily
- Hiking/ walking tour guides
- Office facilities including internet
- Cell phone reception ( Vodacom, Cell C)
- Child- minding services
- Thendele shop with curios, firewood and basic amenities
ACTIVITIES AND FACILITIES AT THENDELE:
WALKS AND HIKES
- The main attraction of the Park is the mountain scenery, which is best seen from the many kilometers of hiking and bridle paths.
- Please enquire at the Office for details and maps of these walks.
- Wildlife abounds, but is not very apparent except in the very early mornings.
- The bird and plant life is best studied on walks.
- A summary of the walks is included in this Service Directory.
- The Park has many well-known peaks and climbing routes.
- Anyone intending to proceed to the top of the Berg or to undertake any of the more difficult climbs must first obtain permission from the Officer-in-Charge of the Park and fill in the mountain Rescue Register.
- Roadside picnic and parking areas are available for the use of day visitors and fires may be lit in designated fireplaces.
- Visitors are encouraged to get away from their cars and into the hills, but fires are not permitted there.
- All rubbish, of whatever kind, must be carried back for disposal.
HORSE RIDING RUGGED GLEN
- Horse riding is available from Rugged Glen.
- Please enquire at reception with regards to the fees payable and to make bookings or contact the Rugged Glen Stables directly on 036 - 438 6422.
- Times and durations of the rides available are as follows:
09:00 - 15:00 Full Day Ride
09:00 -12:00 & 14:00 - 17:00 3 Hour Rides
10:00 - 12:00 & 14:00 - 16:00 2 Hour Rides
09:15 & 13:15 Pony Rides for children
- Swimming and paddling in the rivers and streams is safe from bilharzia, and a very popular activity.
- Drinking water for the main developed area is drawn from the Mahai stream above the campground, so do not swim in the Mahai between the intake weir and the Tiger Falls/Gudu Bush path.
- Similarly, swimming is not permitted in the Vemvaan River above the Thendele or in any of the dams.
- Trout fishing is available. Permits can be obtained from the Visitors Centre.
- The closed season for the river extends from 1 June to 31 August.
- The dam is open throughout the year, unless otherwise notified.
- Please note that Rugged Glen dam is now part of a conservation project that is aimed at conserving the KZN Yellowfish (Barbus natalensis) and the endemic
- Tugela Labeo (Labeo rubromaculatus).
- In view of this, fishing on this dam is on a catch and release basis only which will be strictly enforced.
- Only fly fishing tackle may be used and we encourage the use of barbless hooks.
- Permits to fish in this dam are only available from the Rugged Glen stables office.
OUT & ABOUT
- There are various Hotels and establishments adjacent to the Park where one can go and eat out.
- Reservations should be made telephonically for meals at nearby hotels.
- For golf lovers there is a 9 hole, 18 tees golf course at Hlalanathi +/- 15 km from Thendele.
Thendele Gate Times:
There is a 24 hour gate. No pets are allowed.
Thendele Lodge, a six-bed luxury lodge with three bedrooms, each with their own private bathroom, a spacious lounge dining room and a kitchen. Satellite television is also available.
All bookings are confirmed once payment or partial payment is received.
Cancellations greater than 45 days prior to arrival = 10% of amount (min R100)
Cancellation within 45 to 30 days of arrival = 25% of the amount.
Cancellation within 29 to 15 days of arrival = 50% of the amount.
Cancellation within 14 days & arrival date = 100% of the amount.
Amending booked dates is as good as cancelling a booking if it falls within the cancellation period. Same policy applies to amending a booking.
Cancellation policy are voided when booking dates are amended to be cancelled to avoid cancellation policy. So once dates are amended, cancellation policy are not applicable.
High season is applicable over public holidays, school holidays, long weekends, events and high occupancy periods. Tarrifs may differ from those displayed.
There are two routes from the north depending on weather conditions.
The first one is to turn off the N3 at Harrismith and take the N5 to Kestell. 2 kms down this road turn left on to the R74 to Qwa Qwa and follow the signs to Bergville going over the Olivier`s Hoek Pass and turning right to Royal Natal National Park at the bottom of the pass at the area tourism sign.
This route is considerably shorter than the following more conventional route and saves an additional toll fee.
The alternative is to turn off the N3 just past Ladysmith on to the N11 and proceed to Bergville. The reserve is well signposted from here.
From the south turn off the N3 at the Winterton/Berg Resorts off-ramp and proceed to Bergville.