is a deserted old prawn farm on a river mouth and coastal reserve on the KZN North Coast.
It makes for a unique destination for any visitor to the North Coast. The facility has been "lightly" renovated - the end result is a unique blend of comfort and rustic cool. The hatchery is all about chilling out, letting loose, and reconnecting.
Set against a backdrop of a beautiful river and overlooking a nature reserve, island, and deserted beach. We are self catering; bringing your own supplies in is recommended. Low slung cars can scrape on the road in so leave the beemer at home for this one or take your time on the way in.
The butlers are available to assist, advise, and make your stay as comfortable as possible.
The communal kitchen and dining table is kitted for any culinary adventure you may want to try your hand at, and a cool place to hang out in inclement weather. There are plenty of spots which show different aspects of the bush and beach environment right at the Hatchery or if you prefer to explore try Casuarina island or one of the lagoons beaches a stone`s throw away.
Directions to the Hatchery:
- Countdown the bridges on the N2 – we are halfway between bridge 8 and 9.
- Take the N2 north about 100 km from Durban or ¾ hour from the new airport (we can’t remember it’s name either).
- Slow down to the national speed limit – we know you’re keen to get that Hatchery feeling but you have more chance of finding us if you take it easy.
- The sightseeing in Gingindlovu is not so good – go the other way toward the sea.
- You will think you are in deep trouble when you hit the bumpy dirt road – do not panic!
- Follow the dirt road with the sea on your right for about 2km – past the school, clinic and cell phone tower until you start to go down a small hill.
- Turn right (look out for the twin rondavels and flying paddlewheel sign).
- Follow the road down the hill past various houses and then bush to the end (2.5 km) and breathe a sigh of relief
- Call friends and family to let them know you made it – chill out.
- For the larnies with GPS: -29.091646, 31.630370
Accommodation at The Hatchery:
We have a total of 11 units to offer.
We stepped out and put in linen, bedding, towels, and even air-cons and you don`t have to share your public with undesirables. No baths, only en-suites with double showers which are good for washing kids once they`ve had their full and um - well we`d just rather not say.
The Hatchery was fantastic. Just as advertised, rustic. It's like camping however with a twist - Everything you need to make your stay comfortable, so no setting up tent, no bring cutlery/linens/cups etc from home. And then at the end of the day there are comfortable beds with fresh linen and your own shower. This is a fishermans haven, with a river and sea fishing at your doorstep. For the kids there is canoeing, swimming in pools and river. And the staff are super helpful and friendly. We loved it.