The Elephant House is an exclusive 8 bedroom lodge situated near the Addo Elephant National Park in the sun-drenched Sundays River Valley.
This thatched colonial style lodge offers guests all the splendour of a bygone era.
The Sundays River Valley is world famous for its citrus fruit production - the Sundays River Citrus Co-op alone exports an excess of 12 million cartons of fruit to Northern Hemisphere Countries every year.
The valley is reputed to produce some of the finest quality lemons and oranges in the world.
The decor at Elephant House evokes colonial and African images and is furnished with the owners` private collection of antiques, Persian rugs and Afrikana art.
The in-house chef prepares lovely light lunches at the pool and delicious three course candlelit dinners.
The Addo Elephant National Park was proclaimed in 1931 and today this finely tuned ecosystem is home to over 400 elephants. This makes the Addo Park the most concentrated elephant reserve in Africa thus giving one a good chance of experiencing some of the best elephant viewing in the world.
Apart from elephants there are also lion, hyena, black rhino, buffalo and various antelope species. Of the smaller animals the surricates and the flightless dung beetle are of great interest.
The accessibility of this area coupled with its close proximity to the Garden Route and Cape Town makes the Addo Elephant Park and its surrounding areas an extremely desirable destination.
Two kilometres away from the Elephant House is the Addo Polo Club where polo is played in the cooler winter months and cricket in summer.
Kirkwood, which has a beautiful golf course, is a 30 km drive through the valley.
Facilities and Services at the Lodge:
- 2 Swimming Pools set in the lush gardens
- Dining - light lunches on the terrace or beside the pool and delicious three course candlelit dinners served daily - superb country cuisine complimented by a selection of great Cape wines!
- Games drives into Addo on open 4X4
- Varied list of other activities including day trips to nearby private reserves, elephant back safaris, horseback safaris, canoeing on the river, helicopter trips as well as cultural, historical and agricultural tours in the valley
- “Club Room” for guests’ use with DVD library, games and laptop with complimentary internet access
The Elephant House Safari Co. is the in-house safari division where qualified guides conduct excellent daily game drives into the Addo Elephant Park on open Land Cruisers as well as cultural, historical and agricultural tours in the valley.
Other options include horseback safaris into Addo, a helicopter trip to the beach and day visits to the various private game reserves in the area. There are various game viewing options available in Addo and the surrounding area -
* Addo Elephant drives
* Valley tour
* Schotia “Tooth and Claw” Safari
* Night and Sunset Drives
* Horse Trails
* Addo Elephant Back Safaris and Walks
* A Port Elizabeth City and Eco Tour
The Elephant House will try to tailor your stay to suit your needs as much as possible in order for you to get the best possible chance to experience all the area has to offer.
· Deposits are non-refundable
· Cancellation within 30 days of date of arrival 25 % of accommodation costs
· Cancellation within 21 days of date of arrival 50 % of accommodation costs
· Cancellation within 14 days of date of arrival 75 % of accommodation costs
· Cancellation within 7 days of date of arrival, full accommodation costs as booked and confirmed payable
· All cancellations to be provided in writing & acknowledged in writing by the Elephant House.
· Refunds and waiver of cancellation policies are at the discretion of management and at the ability to re-let the rooms.
Elephant House has 9 spacious fully air - conditioned and heated en suite rooms, room facilities include:
- Percale Linen
- Air-conditioned and heated
- Hairdryers and bathrobes
- King size bed - extra length
- 24 hr room service
In addition to the main house we also have 2 cottages (The Stable Cottages) which are on the same property, but separate from The Elephant House. They are decorated in the same style as Elephant House, and are also fully air conditioned and heated, the principal difference being that the bathroom only has a shower, there is also a stocked mini bar and coffee/tea making facilities. These are great value for people with young families!
These suites consist of a main bedroom with full en suite bathroom, air conditioning, telephone and dial up internet access, room service, king size beds, hairdryer, bathrobes and safes.
This suite consists of a main bedroom with inter leading section with two additional single beds. Full en suite bathroom, air conditioning, telephone and dial up internet access, room service, king size beds, hairdryer, bathrobes and safes.
Our cottages all consist of a main bedroom with en suite bathroom (shower only), hairdryer, air conditioning, tea/coffee making facilities and mini bar fridge. All cottages set on 5 ha of rolling lawns and each has its own veranda.
Our family cottage consists of a main bedroom with inter leading section with two additional single beds - ideal for young families. En suite bathroom (shower only), hairdryer, air conditioning, tea/coffee making facilities and mini bar fridge.
From Port Elizabeth take the N2 towards Grahamstown then take the Motherwell/Markman offramp and turn left onto the R335 which is the road that takes you straight to Addo and the elephant park.
Follow this road for about 50km and you will be driving through the town and once you have crossed the railway line, 4km from there, you will see The Elephant House clearly signposted on the left of the road.
A further 8km you will get the Addo Elephant National Park on your right.