Thabametsi is a tranquil rustic self-catering getaway in the heart of scenic Magaliesburg. Situated on a 132 Ha farm, Thabametsi is nestled between two koppies overlooking the valley to the Witwatersrand Mountains.
This malaria-free location assures guests of beautiful sunsets and great hospitality. The diverse ecosystem encourages a wide range of bird life, particularly on the dam. Smaller animals like bush buck, scrub hares, mongoose and squirrels have made Thabametsi their home.
Indoor fireplaces and heaters cater for cozy winter nights whilst summer evenings are braai-time in the lovely bomas under the stars. Thabametsi is an ideal venue for families, photographers, artists, environmentalists and small tour groups.
Facilities and Services:
- All the units are fully equipped
- Bedding and linen provided (please bring own swimming towels) Winter comes with electric blankets, heaters and hot water bottles, extra blankets and throws in every room and unit
- Units are comfortably furnished in a rustic theme. Fans in every room
- Indoor fireplace and outdoor braai area
- Swimming pool (solar heated)
- Entertainment area with DSTV
- Bicycles to rent (bring kids bicycles to enjoy cycling on the kiddies track)
- Cell phone coverage (Vodacom, Cell C)
Activities include cycling, swimming, bird-watching, various ball games and nature walks, lovely night sky views. Various other activities in the area. We are pet friendly and allow up to 2 medium sized fur friends to join the family (per unit).
We have a labyrinth and some walking trails. A nice sized swimming pool that is solar heated. Thabamesti offers family orientated accommodation therefore children are welcome. Ducks, chickens a turkey, a goat, donkeys, horses give the children a sense of real farm life. Play areas with an obstacle course, jungle gym, trampoline, tractor and donkey cart rides is included for the children as well as a small maze and a kiddies bicycle track (please bring bikes along). We have 4 mountain bikes to rent out. We have an entertainment area with DSTV, coffee and craft shop to fill any idle moment.
We just need to mention to you that we advertise and promise our guests a quiet breakaway from the hustle and bustle of the city and therefore do not allow music or unnecessary noise. We trust that it will encourage you to visit us.
Owl Cottage - has an extra king size bed and en suite - shower only. Separate living room with DSTV and kitchen with fire-place. Lapa with braai area (weber).
Lavender Cottage - has an extra king size bed in main bedroom, bathroom - shower only. Separate bedroom with 3 x 3/4 beds for kids or adults. Separate living and dining room area with fireplace and SABC television. Veranda looking out onto the valley. Open braai area as well as weber braai facilities.
Bungalows - all rooms open onto a veranda, ranch style. Main room en suite (bath) with sleeper couch and inter leading door to adjacent room. Third room has a separate bathroom. All have 3/4 beds unless otherwise requested. Huge braai areas with open fire and weber braai.
Sunrise and Sunset including Sundown Cottages - are separate units rented out to one booking. Sundown is a separate lounge/dining room with DSTV, opening onto a braai area. Sunset has two 3/4 beds with a shower and toilet and Sunrise has a Queen size bed with a separate shower and kitchen area.
Squirrels Nest House - Home away from home - 4 bedroom house with two bathrooms and outside shower. Lovely and secluded with a play area and obstacle course a stone throw away. An absolute winner!
Camping facilities - ablution and electricity and use of the other facilities included. Small numbers. Caravan or tenting.
-Turn onto the N14 in the direction of Krugerdorp. At the Sasol garage robot turn right, N14 Ventersdorp, continue for 10km.
-At the Zenex garage T-junction, turn right (N14 Ventersdorp/R563 Hekpoort). Keep straight on the R563 towards Hekpoort for 8.5km.
-Turn left towards the R24 (Maropeng) to Magaliesburg and continue for 12km. At the stop sign turn right onto R24 to Magaliesburg for 6km. Pass the Spar on the left hand side.
- Take the right fork towards Rustenburg (R24). Continue straight past Lover's Rock on the R24; pass Sangwe Farm, then a School, and Aquador Supermarket.
-Continue past Maanhaarrand until you see a large green shade net on the left and some thatch buildings on the right. (If you made it this far you are nearly there!)
-5km from here you turn left onto - Yes - a dirt road - you are after all in the country. It really is'n't so bad and it is only for 5 km. The signs are Jackson Ridge and Vlakfontein.
- This is what most people miss, so don't join the statistics! 2 km down this road you pass Red Rock Hatchery. At last, 2.4 km from here you go round a bend and there we are on the left.
- Thabametsi selfcatering Zandfontein Farm 386 Keith and Judy RV 08. Up the farm road and past the house, then up to the left - you have arrived! Welcome!