Welcome to Stonebreaker Country Lodge in Cango Valley`s picturesque Schoemanspoort , 15 km from Oudtshoorn on the main road (R328) to the world famous Cango Caves.
The thatched Lodge is fitted with modern conveniences, elegantly furnished en suite rooms with an African ambience to make you really feel at home.
Listen to the peaceful murmur of the nearby river while you relax in the sparkling swimming pool with unspoilt views on the surrounding mountains.
An half hour walk on the registered succulent trail, will work up your appetite for a hearty traditional farm-style breakfast. Lunch and dinner are also available on request.
We will give you personal attention and unique Klein Karoo hospitality. Don`t be surprised if from the nearby mountains, you hear the distinct whistle call of the Klipspringers in the moonlight or at sunrise.
Schoemanspoort is half way between Oudtshoorn and the Cango Caves . Surrounded by mountains and the Grobbelaar`s River runs through the valley.
The name "Stonebreaker" originates from a Stone Breaker Machine ( England ), which was used until 1962 at the quarry on this property. Stonebreaker Country Lodge was built in 1997 consisting of thatched buildings to blend in with nature.
The main theme is African with special attention to luxury. Stonebreaker Country Lodge is situated in a very safe environment.
Not one criminal incident has occurred!
Food & Dining
Delicious farm style breakfasts are served either in the African dining room or on the open air deck or on the thatch covered stoep . The views are magnificent - with star studded skies at night.
Light lunch and dinner can be served on request, as well as a traditional barbeque on the stoep .
Three-course meals consisting of five types of meat including ostrich fillet, or a home cooked dinner with leg of Karoo Super Lamb, Bobotie , Kudu steak, Ostrich Neck and other Ostrich dishes are also available at the cosy Old Mill Restaurant across the river.
From Cape Town:
- Travel along either the N2 or Route 62. On N2 pass Mosselbay and look for the off ramp on your left to George called YORK STREET.
- Turn into York and keep straight up until you find a huge traffic circle. Here turn left and keep straight on over the spectacular Outeniqwa Pass.
- About 7 km after the pass look for the Oudtshoorn turn off on your left. Carry on straight until you reached Oudtshoorn.
- Upon entering Oudtshoorn keep straight down the main street exiting Oudtshoorn past the Cango Wildlife Ranch en-route to the famous Cango Caves.
- You will find Stonebreaker 15 km out of town on your right hand side opposite De Oude Meul lodge and restaurant.
- From Route 62 as entering Oudtshoorn turn left into Baron van Rheede en route to the caves and follow the same as above.
- Guests are accommodated in modern thatched chalets with twelve (12) luxurious big en suite rooms.
- Our charming honeymoon suite promises you a special unforgettable experience.
- Privacy is ensured - the units are at least 15 meters away from the main complex, and has covered porches with uninterrupted views of the majestic Poort .
- Double (Cloud 9 Superior Comfort), single and family rooms are all en suite.
- Rooms are all equipped with DStv , Tea/Coffee facilities including rusks , hair drier, clock radio, own bathroom with large glass-shower, towels etc., electronic heating as well as roof fans. Bar fridge stocked with wine, beers and soft drinks per norm.
- Having eight double rooms, two family rooms and two single rooms we ensure personal attention and heart-warming hospitality, with picturesque mountain and landscape views while you hear the peaceful murmur of the river.
* Roof Fan
* Hair Drier
* Clock Radio
* Undercover Porch
* Stocked bar fridge
* Built-in Cupboards
* Choice of DStv channels
* Tea/Coffee Making Facilities
* Under floor Heating or electronic heaters
* Open Air Deck
* Sun-downer area
* Same day Laundry
* Dining & TV Room
* Telephone Facilities
* Safe Off-road Parking
* Salt water Swimming Pool
* Hiking Trails, including Succulent Trail Paradise
* Peaceful view of mountains, landscape, river and some grazing game