Directions to Kashan Country House from Johannesburg:
GPS CO-ORDINATES: S2550.734/E2734.779
- Travelling time is approximately 90 minutes (out of rush hour).
- Take the R24 to Johannesburg as you exit the airport.
- After about 12 kms, at the major Germiston/Roodepoort interchange, take the N3, for Roodepoort (also signposted to Pretoria).
- After a further 14 kms (approximately), at the next major interchange (with the M1, signposted for Johannesburg/Pretoria), continue straight, towards Roodepoort (at this point N3 becomes N1).
- Head west along N1 (concrete ring highway) just north of Johannesburg, for a further 25 kms (approximately).
- Exit from N1 at the Gordon Road off-ramp. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights, straight through the next set of traffic lights and turn right into Hendrick Potgieter at the third set of traffic lights.
- Proceed along Hendrik Potgieter for about 16 kms, until you reach a major intersection with a large Sasol filling station on the left hand side (over the intersection).
- Proceed straight across this intersection (the road becomes the N14, at this point).
- Proceed for about 20 kms until you go down a steep hill and come to a major T-junction. On the opposite side, to the right, are the Oaktree Caf and a Zenex filling station. Turn right - this will take you onto onto the R563, sign-posted to Hekpoort.
- Continue straight, on the R563 (do not take the left turn off it, continuing as the N14, towards Ventersdorp/Magaliebburg, about 500 metres after the T-junction). Go straight, for Hekpoort.
- Proceed on the R563 for about 20 kms, until you descend into the Magaliesberg valley. Finally, in the middle of the valley, you will come to a T-junction. You are at Hekpoort. Turn right.
- Continue on the tarred road for about 800 metres, to a green sign saying Hartebeesfontein. Turn left onto the dirt road, there.
- After about 2 kms, this dirt road goes over a bridge (over the Magalies River). About 200m after the bridge, up a hill, there is a turning to the left, signposted to Kashan Country House (and to Chapel Hill, P Curle, etc.). Take this road.
- Continue on this road for about 5 kms. There are one or two forks off the road but always keep to the right, until you come to a fork where you enter a bluegum forest and there is a sign saying Private Road to Chapel Hill, Kashan Country House and Steynshoop Lodge, only. Follow that sign, directing you to the left-hand fork.
15. After about 500 metres you will pass a sign on the left-hand side, saying Steynshoop Estate Woodcutters Cottage. Soon after this is a sign Steynshoop Lodge, pointing to the Steynshoop entrance gate.
16. For Kashan Country House, continue past this sign until you come to the Kashan main gate, after about 300 metres.
Guests are advised that there is 7 kilometres of "dirt" road from the main tarred road, to Kashan Country House. The first 5 kilometres are relatively easy, but the final 2 kilometres, on the Kashan Estate, from the entrance gate to the Lodge, are on a fairly steep, narrow and winding road, with several passing places provided.