Simbavati River Lodge is situated in the heart of the world-renowned Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Shaded by age old Jackalberry and Leadwood trees, this intimate, family-friendly camp is built on the banks of the Nhlaralumi River a beautiful watercourse in the summer months when rain is plentiful, and a dry riverbed in the drier winter months.
Simbavati takes its name from the local Shangaan language, translated as the place where the lions come down from the stars. The lodge boasts eight luxury safari tents or three family chalets and is surrounded by 12 000 hectares of diverse wildlife and rich wilderness where one can experience an authentic and affordable safari experience.
Guest common areas offer a generously proportioned lounge, bar, boma and extensive decks with breathtaking views overlooking the Nhlaralumi river where regular wildlife sightings take place and guests can unwind.
***Please note at Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, you will be required to pay a vehicle entrance fee of R 140.00 per vehicle and a conservation levy of R 328.00 person (subject to change without prior notice). The conservation levy is payable at the lodge or can be prepaid.
Simbavati River Lodge General Information:
- Simbavati River Lodge is family friendly, children of all ages welcome (please refer to our child policy).
- Groups are welcome with an exclusive use lodge rate on offer
- We offer photographic safaris with a specialised photographic vehicle
- Filtered water is provided on game drives, in the rooms and at the lodge at no additional cost
- Malaria area
- No pets allowed
- Laundry service available
- No bush walks are possible
- Wheelchair friendly
The lodge offers big 5 safari game drives in the early morning and evening for exceptional game viewing when the animals are most active. Nocturnal animals, including the big cats are regular sightings at night. Simbavati also offers specialized photographic game drives.
Simbavati River Lodge is ideally situated in the famous Timbavati Private Nature Reserve forming part of the Greater Kruger Park and which currently features over 40 mammal species including the Big 5 and 360 species of bird life.
Simbavati River Lodge is warm and welcoming, with generous contemporary designed accommodation for guests in either eight luxury safari tents or three family thatched chalets. All our elegantly decorated accommodation options are privately situated, comfortably furnished and have en-suite bathrooms.
Room features include air-conditioning, eco-friendly amenities as well as a private deck for game viewing and sipping drinks enjoying the bushveld sunsets.
Simbavati River Lodge is a child-friendly safari camp with three family chalets available, each with two separate bedrooms sharing one bathroom. One of the family chalets can accommodate five persons, whilst the other two family chalets can accommodate four persons.
- From the R40 (road between Hoedspruit and Bosbokrand) take the turn-off to the East Gate Airport.
- Follow the road (tar for 17.8 km, then gravel for 10.8km) to the Simbavati Entrance gate (Entrance R80 per vehicle).
- After the Gate, continue (on tar road) for 15.9 km and turn left at the dam (on the left) onto the small gravel road.
- From turn-off follow the TLR signs (approx. 6 km) to the lodge.