Experience an Eastern Cape safari in 5 star luxury at Pumba Private Game Reserve and Spa situated in the malaria-free, Eastern Cape of South Africa.
Our exclusive, Big 5 game reserve has achieved a gold status for its environmental responsibility, through The Green Leaf Initiative and a 5-star rating for its luxury accommodation facilities.
Together with unrivalled beauty and an abundance of wildlife, Pumba Private Game Reserve and Spa provides a premium game viewing and safari experience in a renowned game park. View the famous Big 5 (lion, leopard, buffalo, rhino and elephant) and a vast array of more than 250 species of bird. Search for over 60 different species of mammals and have the rare opportunity of seeing the magnificent White Lion stalking prey or lazing around in its natural environment.
Complementing a luxurious experience is our Soul Spa where you can work off the last remnants of the stress of city life in the gym or by allowing our dedicated therapists to soothe your body, mind and soul.
Feel the essence of the authentic South African bushveld in style at Pumba Private Game Reserve & Spa.
Big 5 Game Reserve
Nestled in the heart of the malaria-free Eastern Cape, Pumba Private Game Reserve offers the ultimate in African Safari with luscious bush, grasslands, and of course, the formidable Big Five. Experience the wonders of an African Safari come face to face with animals such as Giraffe, Leopards, Elephants, Lions, Rhinos and Buffalos.
White Lions at Pumba Private Game Reserve and Spa
Our White Lions are one of our must see`s- They are one of nature`s most beautiful and most majestic animals.
Complete African Wildlife Experience
Pumba Private Game Reserve and Spa is also home to Hyena, Hippo, Zebra, Wildebeest, Warthog and numerous species of Antelope, like Eland, Kudu and Bushbuck. All viewed from an open vehicle with experienced game rangers.
For the bird lovers the nearly 317 species occurring in our geographical region will never fail to delight you.
Accommodation at Pumba Private Game Reserve and Spa
Pumba Water Lodge
Discover unrivalled views over Lake Cariega at our idyllic Pumba Water Lodge.
Stroll to your own stone walled, thatched chalet off our meandering timber footpaths after a day out, and relax in absolute comfort. A romantic moment on your private wooden deck, an outdoor shower, or sundowners on the floating jetty can all be enjoyed as the South African sun burns the sky before it sleeps and the hippo`s meander in the distance. Once the sun is down, enjoy a gourmet dinner paired with vintage wines under the African stars.
Pumba Private Game Reserve`s Water Lodge - the perfect balance between an idyllic African safari and true 5-star luxury.
The luxurious Pumba Water Lodge comprises of 12 stone-walled, thatched, chalets, each offering a uniquely spectacular view of Lake Cariega:
- 8 Impala Chalets offering four-poster, king or twin beds
- 3 x Gemsbok Chalets offering king or twin beds
- 1 x Kudu Suite offering 2 luxury en-suite bedrooms, separate lounge and private steam room
Msenge Bush Lodge, perched above a watering hole and overlooking the flood plain of the Cariega River, offers 11 luxury, glass enclosed, thatched chalets, which flow naturally into the African Bushveld, allowing you to become one with nature:
- 10 x Msenge Chalets offering four-poster, king or twin beds
- 1 x Family Chalet offering 2 en-suite bedrooms with either king or twin beds, ideal for families with smaller children
Leading off meandering timber footpaths, all chalets open up onto private timber game-viewing decks with outside showers and plunge pools. The bedrooms and bathrooms offer underfloor heating, dreamy, free-standing bathtubs, double basins, terry-towel bathrobes and splendid appointments to create an ambiance of luxurious indulgence. Air-conditioning, earthenware fireplaces and fine linen ensure your absolute comfort.
In-room amenities include:
- air-conditioning and heating
- tea/coffee making facilities
- mini-bar fridge
- binoculars, bird and animal books
- alarm clock
- mini electronic safe
- separate bath and shower, with heated towel rails and twin vanities
- private game-viewing deck
- outdoor shower and plunge pool
Amenities and Services at Pumba Private Game Reserve and Spa
On the reserve
- Bird hide
- Bush Boma
- Curio and gift Shop
- Private vehicles
- Health spa
- Airport transfers
Pumba Water Lodge
A thatched restaurant, from where meals can be served in a variety of locations - central dining room or main decks. Private candlelit dinners can be arranged on request.
- GUEST Lounge, with satellite TV
- Sheltered outdoor restaurant and lounge
- Pool and sun deck
- Game viewing deck
- Waterfront floating pier and sundeck
- Curio Shop, for locally produced curios, artworks and clothing.
- GUEST Library
- Free Wireless Internet
- A conference room, seating 20 delegates, is also available.
Msenge Bush Lodge
- 11 thatched, glass-enclosed chalets offering 5-star luxury
- Game viewing deck, to watch animals interacting on the plain below the lodge
- Function room seating 60 delegates
- Bush Bar, to enjoy a refreshing cocktail whilst game viewing
- GUEST Lounge, with fireplace in winter/cooler weather
- Reading Room with satellite television
- Internet office with 2 computers
- Free wireless Internet
- Soul Spa and fully equipped gym
- Pool deck
- Curio Shop
Activities at Pumba Private Game Reserve and Spa
- Big 5 Safari Drives
- Birding Safari`s
- Bass Fishing
- Guided Bush Walks
- Star Gazing
- Township Tours
- Sky Diving
- Horseback Riding
- Golf Courses
- Historical tours
- Hiking trails
- Shopping in Grahamstown
Kids on Safari
Guest safety is an important factor we take into account. On game drives we are in animal territory, therefore strict rules must apply. The vehicles are open along the sides and the drive can at times be quite bumpy. We have as a result put in place rules regarding children under the age of 6.
For their own safety, children under the age of 6 years are not permitted to go on normal big 5 game drives.
Special game drives can be arranged for families with children younger than 6 years. There is a surcharge of R750.00 for a private game drive vehicle, subject to availability.
However, should other families be staying at the reserve we will do our best to group them on a vehicle at no additional cost. (Min of 6 people)
We do however want our little rangers to have a "wild" time! We have introduced Kids on Safari!
Inclusive all done by ranger allocated to that family
- Kids one hour game drive after breakfast, with species book.
- Identification of plants and insects around Msenge within the perimeter of the fence. Make a plaster cast of findings, each child will be given an insect box to collect findings.
- How to make a fire in the boma including roasting some marshmallows and storytelling.
- Soccer or rugby on the grass at Pumba
- Fishing at Pumba
- Wildlife & Disney DVDs in library
- Kids board games available
- Wildlife chocolate moulding
Optional extra for the whole family or just kids with ranger:
Walks at Yellowwoods with a picnic
- Kids activity book with crayons etc in bag
- There are also childrens menus available.
From the Port Elizabeth Airport:
As you exit the airport building, turn left into Allistair Millar Drive.
At the traffic light intersection, turn right into Heugh Road. Continue down Heugh Road until you see the harbour and the sea directly in front of you.
At the main traffic light intersection at the bottom of Walmer Boulevard (Heugh Road) turn left, taking the highway which is on the seaward side. Continue along the highway, which will take you onto the N2 in the direction of Grahamstown.
Travel along the N2 in the direction of Grahamstown for 105 km. Take the Alicedale turnoff towards the left and follow the signs to Pumba Private Game Reserve.