Palala River Cottages - Jembisa is for those looking for an exceptional, personal African Safari. Three small self-catering lodges offers the perfect escape for those looking for real peace in a beautiful, unspoilt wild setting, on the Palala River deep inside the Waterberg mountain wilderness.
Jembisa is only three hours north of Johannesburg. The lodges are all secluded, private and fully equipped. Game on the Reserve includes Giraffe, Burchells Zebra, Kudu, Eland, Impala, Warthog, Bushpig and much more.
Jembisa offers you:
* a wide diversity of game including leopard, hippo, crocodile
* 7 km of the beautiful Palala river winds through the middle of the reserve
* free of malaria
* abundant bird life
* guided walks and game drives (subject to availability as guests of Jembisa Lodge get preference). You can self-drive or walk on the reserve.
The self catering units are all equipped with crockery, cutlery, 2 ring stove, microwave, kettle and toaster. All you need to bring is your food and drinks, and possibly ice.
- 60 to 90 days prior to arrival 25% cancellation fee
- 30 to 60 days prior to arrival 50% cancellation fee
- 0 to 30 days prior to arrival 100% cancellation fee
From Johannesburg International Airport
* Take R21 to Pretoria for about 20 minutes
* Take the N1 highway North towards Pietersburg / Polokwane.
* Turn off at the Kranskop toll gate (third toll gate) to Nylstroom/Modimolle.
* Go through Nylstroom/Modimolle to Vaalwater ( 60km).
* In Vaalwater turn right at the stop street towards Melkriver (there is only one stop street in Vaalwater).
* Go 42 km and turn left onto a gravel road marked Melkriver School/Lapalala.
* After 6km turn right (there is an old Cape Dutch farm house on the right hand side) and pass the Rhino Museum.
* From the Rhino Museum drive 3.3km, the main entrance to Jembisa Lodge will be on your right.
* Continue past the main entrance to Jembisa.
* After 1km the road bends to the left.
* At the bottom of the hill, the Kingfisher gate will be on your right. Kingfisher entrance is before the Palala river bridge.
* ontinue past the main entrance to Jembisa.
* After 1km the road bends to the left, go over the Palala River Bridge and through the electric gate.
* Drive another 1km and keep to the right of the fork and follow the Podica signs.
* Do not take the Lapalala turn, but stay on the Melkrivier Road from Vaalwater until you reach a T-Junction.
* Turn left at the T, and approximately 2 kms on the left hand side you will see a farm gate.
* This is just before you cross the Palala River. Someone will greet you at the gate.
River Cottage, is an isolated cottage set in a beautiful spot and is right next to the Palala river. Perfect for a couple, the cottage sleeps two people (fixed double bed) with mosquito netting.
It has a bathroom with bath and shower, lounge with fireplace and fully kitted kitchen. Towels and firewood are provided.
Escape to the wilds. The three Podica chalets are situated together in a quiet spot next to the Palala River are fully equipped, en-suite thatched rondavels.
The chalets have an open plan living area with bed(s), table and kitchenette. Each has a separate bathroom with bath, and an outside shower.
Relax in a hammock, walk, enjoy game viewing or watching the abundant bird life and cool off under your private bush shower.
Each chalet is slightly different:
Podica 1; has a double bed
Podica 2; has a double bed and twin beds, in the same room
Podica 3; has a double bed and fold down sofa bed which sleeps one, or two children, in the same room.
Each chalet has its own individual braai area, and there is use of a swimming pool within 5 minutes walk. Towels and firewood are provided.
Kingfisher Cottage sleeps a maximum of 10 people in 3 twin rooms and 2 double rooms. Ideal for small groups or families. Sit on the veranda with wide views across the Palala river to the far hills.
The cottage has a comfortable living area with a fireplace place and dining table. There is also a swimming pool for your enjoyment, a braai and it is fully serviced.