Oude Werf (the old Churchyard) is South Africas oldest hotel, built on the site of its first church in the Wine capital and university town of Stellenbosch. Since 1802, this country inn has been extensively rebuilt, with most recent renovations turning this national monument into a deluxe modern hotel that still retains its historic ambiance and easy, personal hospitality.
Modern meets Vintage throughout the Hotel, which steps past a Georgian-style facade into its inn-house, and beyond, to the vine-covered courtyard and interior of a newly-designed restaurant. An adjoining vintage-styled bar and lounge spills out into a shady central garden and pool deck.
The Hotel has 58 rooms of various sizes overlooking the garden, restaurant and Church Street. These are decorated in an easy, contemporary style, subtly combined with period-inspired details and offer king, twin or double beds and en suite bath + shower or shower-only layouts. Standard deluxe features include satellite TV, high-speed internet access, wall safe, tea/coffee-making facilities and mini bar stocked on request.
Dining at Oude Werf has been a Stellenbosch must for 2 centuries. Chef Albert van der Loo continues a tradition exploring the many flavours of the area, and its top wines. Country-style breakfasts, casual lunches, hearty dinners or high tea can be enjoyed indoors or out in a unique new eatery that features an in-situ kitchen, running water and a shady vine-covered courtyard..
Centrally located, the hotel is a stroll from many leisure experiences - the cafs of Church Street, museums, galleries, architectural and heritage sights. Board a shuttle to one of 150 wine estates outside the town. Book a wine-drive safari. Hike or peddle through a mountain reserve, or golf at a premier course. Explore beyond to towns like the gourmet capital of Franschoek, the beaches of Gordons Bay or to Cape Towns city and Peninsula, 45 km away - excursions which can all be arranged by the Hotel.
From the Airport (38km 35 minutes)
1. Continue onto Airport Approach Rd for 1.4 km
2. Keep left and take the ramp onto Settlers Way and continue for 12.4 km
3. Continue straight on N2 for a further 3.4 km
4. Take exit 33-Macassar for R310 toward Baden Powell Dr/Stellenbosch for 0.5 km
5. Turn left at Baden Powell Dr/R310 (signs for R310/Baden Powell Dr/Stellenbosch)
6. Continue for 12.9 km
7. Turn right at Adam Tas Street and continue 4.3 km
8. Turn right at Strand and continue 0.4 km
9. Take the 1st left onto Dorp Street and continue 1.1 km
10. Turn left at Drostdy and continue 81 m
11. Take the 1st left onto Church
12. The dOuwe Werf hotel is on the right at number 30
From the City Centre (37km 35 minutes)
1. Head west on Church toward Andringa for 0.2 km
2. Turn left at the 2nd cross street onto Bird St and continue for 80 m
3. Turn right at Dorp St and continue for 1.1 km
4. Turn left at Adam Tas St and continue for 3.8 km
5. Slight left at Baden Powell Dr and continue for 13.1 km
6. Turn right to merge onto N2 and then continue for 16.2 km
7. Take exit 16 to merge onto Settlers Way and continue for 0.9 km
8. Continue onto Airport Approach Rd for 1.2 km