Tucked away in Zambia, along the meandering banks of the mighty Zambezi River lays Mvuu Lodge, The Place of the Hippo.
It is situated about 18 km from the Lower Zambezi National Park in the Chiawa Game Management area and right opposite Mana Pools. The wild animals roam casually through the camp providing you with a truly unforgettable experience.
We offer luxury packages, self catering and camping. Enjoy a true Africa experience in our safari tents with en suite bathrooms that overlook the mighty Zambezi River.
The campsites are situated in close proximity to the Lodge and are nestled in thick bush under a canopy of indigenous trees, providing a cool haven from the African Sun.
All three camp sites, Monkey, Mvuu and Elly, have their own private hot shower, flush toilet and braai area. The ablution facilities are enclosed by stone walls and roofed by the majestic Zambian sky.
Being an area rich in wildlife, game viewing is exceptionally rewarding by boat or in an open vehicle drive through the bush. The challenge of catching the renowned Tiger Fish from the banks of the great Zambezi River or from a boat provides you with the opportunity to lose yourself in the adrenaline rush.
Relax with a sun downer, great food and warm hospitality on our open aired dining deck looking out over the river. Finish off the day around a blazing bonfire in the boma while listening to the sounds of the African bush.
Opening and closing dates:
Closed between December and February due to rainy season.
Open from March to November.
With an abundance of wildlife and over 400 bird species, activities available to guests at Mvuu Lodge are:
Game Viewing, by boat or by vehicle, Sun downer Cruises, Environmental Awareness Walks, Birding, Photography, Fly or Line Fishing, Star Gazing and of course simply relaxing by the pool.
- Comfortable casual clothing is best and suitable throughout the year.
- Khaki, brown, green and beige colors are very practical for the bush environment.
- Cool, light clothing for the hot summer months and donâ??t forget your swimwear to cool of in the pool.
- Wind-proof, warm jacket for mornings and evening game drives
- Sweater or fleece for cool evenings in the camp.
- Jeans or safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- Comfortable walking shoes / boots as well as shoes suitable for boating are essential.
- Shirts with longs sleeves even in summer will protect you form the sun and from the mosquitoes.
- Light, compact raincoat during the rainy months
- Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, binoculars, camera & extra film, batteries and charging devices and adaptor (three pin square British style plugs is used in Zambia).
- Insect repellent (with high DEET concentration)
- Personal first aid and medication kit (its good idea to pack something for constipation, heartburn, sunburn, topical antibiotics, etc.)
Do not forget to pack:
- Passport, money, tickets and yourself.
- A good backup is a photocopy of your passport photo page (in case of loss.
- Approx. 40 $1 dollar bills for miscellaneous tipping
- Accident, medical, baggage and cancellation insurance
- Inoculations and other medications (speak to your doctor)
- Malaria prophylactics before and after your visit to the Valley â?? speak to your doctor.
It is best for you to check with your local Zambian Embassy to obtain the most current visa information. Most foreign nationals are required to purchase a visa, preferably prior to arrival in Zambia. However if you are traveling on a pre-arranged trip, visa fees are waived â?? your tour operator can arrange this exemption.
There is minimal cell phone coverage in the Valley, but Mvuu has a cell phone booster and you can get good reception at the lodge.
Luxury Safari Tents (5)
Spacious safari tents under a thatched roof and on a raised wooden deck provide you with all the comforts you need. Stylishly decorated with en suite facilities and 24 hrs hot water means you do not have to rough it to really experience Africa. You can enjoy the wild life roaming freely through the camp form the comfort of your patio or even while you relax on your bed.
Self Catering Tents (3)
The same style and comfort as our luxury tents but with the additional self catering facilities. This means you have a private braai area plus a gas cooker, cutlery and crockery. Currently we only have one family unit that sleeps 4 people in one room. The other 2 units sleep 2 people in twin or double beds.
Camping (4 sites)
We have 4 camping sites namely Monkey, Mvuu, Elly and Leopard. Each one with its own braai and ablution facilities comprising of a hot shower, flush toilet and wash basin. The ablution facilities are enclosed by stone walls and roofed by the majestic Zambian sky.
- If cancelling 7 days before arrival, forfeit 100% of the booking total.
- If cancelling 14 days before arrival, forfeit 100% of the deposit.
- If cancelling 21 days before arrival, forfeit 50% of the deposit.
- If cancelling 30 days before arrival, forfeit 25% of the deposit.
There are various means of getting to the Lodge: For those who wish to get there as fast as possible, a chartered flight is the way to go.
From Lusaka the flight take approximately 30 minutes and from Livingstone, approximately 1 hours.
From the airstrip to the Lodge will only take a few minutes by boat or scenic drive by game viewing vehicle.
From Lusaka we can arrange a road transfer to Mvuu Lodge.
Alternatively you can hire a vehicle and explore the road on your own.
- From Lusaka it is a 2 hour drive to Chirundu (a border town on the Zambezi River) and another 2 hours to Mvuu on a dirt road .
- Only a high clearance vehicle and 4x4s are suitable for this road.
- From Chirundu there is an 11 km gravel road to the pontoon across the Kafue River which operates form 06:00 18:00. The cost is around U$20 per trip/car.