There is a farm in the heart of the Klein Karoo…where time stands still…where grassy plains meet the blue sky and where the sun sets in an explosion of colour over the great Swartberg Mountains.
Hanlie and Viljee Keller invite you to enjoy the warm hospitality of their luxury guest house, Mooiplaas (meaning ‘beautiful farm’) with its breath-taking views. Mooiplaas a real working ostrich farm, which also farms maize and alfalfa, has been in the family for four generations. The guest house is converted from the old farm house and retains the traditional cape-dutch façade.
The sixteen suites have been lovingly and tastefully decorated. They are spacious and luxurious with big comfy beds, large en-suite bathrooms, private lounge area with large flat screen TV, honesty fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, air conditioning and separate entrances with ample secure parking - everything you need to enjoy and relax.
Free wi fi internet access is available too, ideal for business travellers, or if you simply must check your email!
There are four types of suites:
•Superior/Honeymoon Suites are just right for a honeymooners or romantic getaway with someone special
•Family Suites are perfect for families with two to three children.
•Luxury Double Suites are ideal for holidaymakers and business travellers. Self catering is available in some rooms.
•Self-Catering Suites is a secluded gem with an idyllic setting.
Start your day with a traditional farmhouse breakfast and at the end of the day enjoy a candlelit braai – both are specialities at Mooiplaas.
The staff will also be delighted to prepare light meals and picnic baskets for you (by prior arrangement). And they will offer insider’s advice you on where to eat out and be happy to make a reservation for you at one of the fine local restaurants.
On-site activities include hiking/walking, jogging, mountain bikes, and swimming pool. Don’t miss a private tour of Mooiplaas ostrich farm where you will learn interesting facts about ostriches and the famous feather industry.
Get up close to these inquisitive birds and feel the thrill of seeing a baby chick peck its way into this brand new world. Our on-site registered tour guide is available to help with planning and arranging trips in the area.
Mooiplaas is ideally located. It is in the peaceful countryside yet only 10 km from Oudtshoorn which offers much to do and see. It is the Ostrich Capital of the world, close to the world famous Cango Caves and so much more.
Whether you are looking for adventure, sports, culture, history or wish to relax and enjoy the pure tranquility of the countryside, you will find it here!
6 Days or less prior to date of arrival, forfeit 100% of stay.
7-14 Days prior to arrival, forfeit 50% of stay. More than 14 days - full refund.
From Cape Town
• Take the N1 to Worcester.
• From there, take the Route 62.
• Just before you reach Oudtshoorn, turn right to Mossel Bay (R328).
• Drive 8km, past safari Ostrich Showfarm.
• Over the Olifants River Bridge, up a hill and turn right to Mooiplaas (sign board on the left).
• Drive 1.6km
From Cape Town on N2
Take the N2 from Cape Town direction George / Oudtshoorn.
• The sign board will say George/PE. Turn left to Hartenbos / Oudtshoorn.
• Follow sign boards to Oudtshoorn.
• Drive over the Robinsons pass
• About 10km before Oudtshoorn, sign boards on the left. Turn left to Mooiplaas Guest House (same direction as Highgate Show farm)
From George/Knysna/Port Elizabeth
• Drive the N2, turn towards George.
• Take turn off to Oudtshoorn.
• Drive into Oudsthoorn.
• Turn left first traffic light, on R62.
• Turn left to Mossel Bay (R328).
• 8KM, turn right to Volmoed.
• Mooiplaas Guest House is 1.6km on left.
• Take Voortrekker Road (R62)west in direction of Cape Town, Calitzdorp, Mossel Bay.
• Just at the outskirts of Oudtshoorn turn left (R328) to Mossel Bay.
• Drive 8 km, past Safari Ostrich Show Farm.
• Go over the Olifants River Bridge, up the hill and turn right to Mooiplaas Guest House (sign board on the left).
• Airfield 15 km away (from Oudtshoorn)