Montusi Self-Catering Cottages is a spacious and quiet development in the Northern KwaZulu Natal Drakensberg near Royal Natal National Park and Alpine Heath, the Cavern Berg Resort and Hlalanathi. There are four privately owned self-catering cottages which are separate from Montusi Mountain Lodge. Each cottage has magnificent views of the Drakensbergs Amphitheatre, a World Heritage site.
The Montusi Estate has lovely facilities and Self Catering guests have access to the stunning swimming pool, guided walks and marked trails, as well as trout fishing, tennis, birding, 44 and mountain bike trails, and horse riding.
Community Program Relaxation massages are available on site for those looking to relax. The Amphitheatre Golf Course is nearby. At All Out Adventures one can bungee bounce; fly on the zip line, tree top cable tour or the trapeze; go quadding, and play paint ball.
Montusi Self-Catering Cottages accommodation
The Self-Catering Cottages are privately owned and are let out to the public on behalf of the owners. They are not graded by the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa.
Each cottage has three bedrooms (one double and four single beds), three bathrooms (one with bath and shower, one with only a bath and one with only a shower) and an open plan living area with a fully equipped kitchen, dining table and a lounge with private patio. The kitchen is equipped with a fridge/freezer, stove, oven, microwave and dishwasher. The lounge has a TV, fireplace and there is a braai on the patio. Cutlery, crockery, bath towels and linen are all provided.
Self-Catering Guests have access to the 1000 hectare conservation estate for excellent hiking (with or without a guide), mountain bike trails, a 44 track, horse-riding, and fly fishing in the trout dams. There is also a tennis court and swimming pool. Community Project Relaxation Massages are on offer in the main building.
Nearby, All Out Adventures offers seven great adrenaline pumping activities, including quad-biking and a cable tour. The Amphitheatre Golf Course offers a challenging nine holes with a superb view of the mountains.
The lodge dining room is only available to self-caterers by special arrangement in low season for breakfast and dinner: Booking is essential and can only be made the day before you would like to make use of the facility. Meal reservations are of course subject to availability.
A pub lunch menu is available between 12:30 and 14:00 daily.
Self-Catering Guests should bring all their own food, swimming towels, torches and umbrellas. The closest town for groceries, doctor etc is Bergville (50km from Montusi). There is no shop on the premises.
The maximum number of guests per cottage is six (including children).
The cottages are serviced daily, but dishes are only washed on the day of departure. Cleaners do not wash the dishes during your stay, nor do they do laundry or baby-sit.
A Laundry Service is provided by the lodge (no service on weekends and public holidays)
All cottages are non-smoking: smokers please light-up outside.
Fire screens must be used at all times and no fires (or braais) are permitted in windy weather (thatch is a great fire hazard).
Cottages must be vacated by 10:00 on the day of departure. Guests wishing to check out after 10h00 should please make arrangements with Reception.
A range of activities are available at the Adventure Centre:
- Quad Bike Tours
- Tree Top Cable Tour
- Bungy Bounce
- Zip Lines
- Kids Adventure Zone
- King Swing
- Mountain Bike Trails
The nearest town for chemist, doctor, bank and groceries, is Bergville, which is 50 km away.
Please note the following applicable to the self-catering cottages:
The cottages each have three bedrooms, three bathrooms (two of which are en-suite with a total of two showers and two baths per chalet), open-plan living room / kitchen, a private patio with braai facility and a carport. The cottages have fireplaces and are fully equipped with fridge/freezer, dish washer, electric stove/oven, microwave, cutlery, crockery and linen.
- Guests wishing to smoke are requested to please do so on the patio.
- The maximum number of people per six-sleeper cottage (including children) is six.
- Guests must bring all their own food, swimming towels, torch and umbrella.
- Laundry service provided at the lodge, but there is no service over weekends or public holidays.
- The units are serviced daily, but dishes are only washed on day of departure.
- The Montusi Mountain Lodge dining room is only available to self-caterers by special arrangement for breakfast and dinner: - Booking is essential and can only be made the day before you would like to make use of the facility. Meal reservations are of course subject to availability.
- However light lunches are available on the patio between 12.30 and 2.00p.m.
- The units must please be vacated by 10:00 am on the day of departure. Guests wishing to check out late must please make arrangements at reception.
- Fire screens are to be used at all times.
- Guests are not permitted to braai in windy weather
- Cancellation must be received in writing.
- 25% of total cost of stay is charged if cancelled 16 to 30 days before arrival date.
- 50% of total cost of stay is charged if cancelled 8 to 15 days before arrival date.
- 100% of total cost of stay is charged if cancelled 1 to 7 days before arrival date.
Facilities & Services:
Children under 12 years
Self-Braai / Barbecue
Fax & Photocopy Machine
Fireplace on the Premises
Parking (off-street - covered)
Tourism Information Desk
Xhosa / Zulu
Hiking / Walking Trails