Calitzdorp has a number of eating establishments, a good butchery (Calitzdorp Slagtery) and various shops where basic groceries can be bought.
Things to do in Matjiesvlei:
- Fly-fishing in the Gamka River.
- Walking in the valley and veld.
- Mountain biking on valley roads.
- Bird watching.
- Swimming and paddling on the river.
- There are a number of preserved houses, which represent Klein Karoo cottage architecture.
Please note no quad bikes or jet skis are allowed.
Things to do in Calitzdorp:
- Viewing Historical Buildings
- Wine Routes and Wine Tasting
- Viewing fauna (in the Gamkasberg Nature Reserve) and flora (about 500 species of succulents in the area)
- Nature Reserves - Gamkaberg Nature Reserve (37km) and Swartberg Nature Reserve (90km)
- Travelling Scenic Routes and Passes such as Seweweekspoort; Groenfontein, Kruisrivier, Amalienstein, Huisrivier Pass, Rooiberg Pass and Swartberg Pass
- Arts and Crafts