Mapungubwe National Park is divided into an Eastern and Western section, separated by private lands in between which does not form part of the Park. Bookings at Tshugulu Lodge, Limpopo Forest Tented Camp, Mazhou Camping Site and Maloutswa Bird Hide requires one to drive outside the park in order to rejoin the Western section of the Park where the camps are located.
The Restaurant and Curio Shop selling basic necessities are located at the main gate. The is no filling station or ATM available in the Park. There is no cellphone reception in all the camps, only at the main gate.
Guests at any of the Park`s camps must check in at the Main Gate Reception area. Guests must allow an hour prior to the gate closing time to check in to allow for travelling time to the camps.
Accommodation options at Mapungubwe National Park:
This is Mapungubwes main camp, located in the eastern section of the Park, 11 km from the Main Gate, in the spectacular sandstone hills. Close to the camp guests can enjoy the Treetop Hide and the Confluence View Site and Picnic Area. The camp itself has a swimming pool and sundeck, as well as a central braai area.
Limpopo Forest Tented Camp
This camp, situated in the Limpopo riverine forest which offers excellent birding, is located in the western section of the Park, approximately 40 km from the Main Gate. The camp is close to the Maloutswa Pan hide.
This luxury lodge sleeps 1 x 12 in the guest lodge with 6 x bedrooms, a bath, en-suite swimming pool and an exclusive eco-trail. The lodge is located in the Western section of the Park approximately 23 km from the Main Gate along the R572 Pondrift Road.
Facilities at Mapungubwe National Park:
The restaurant offers an a la carte breakfast (served from 08:00 - 10:00) and a la carte dinner (from 18:00 - 20:00). Light meals are served between 10:00 and 18:00. The restaurant caters for special organised functions in the form of Bush braais, Boma Braais at Leokwe Camp and Tshugulu Lodge, small weddings and special events celebrations.
The shop offers basic food supplies and curios.
Internal Road Network
Approximately 35 km of roads are suitable for normal sedan vehicles. A further 100 km is accessible to all terrain (4x4) vehicles. Fill up your fuel tank at Alldays/ Musina as you cannot buy petrol at the park. All the roads within the Park is gravel. Bookings at Tshugulu Lodge, Limpopo Forest Tented Camp, Mazhou Camping Site and Maloutswa Bird Hide requires one to drive outside the park in order to rejoin the Western section of the Park where the camps are located.
No caravans are allowed in the eastern section of the park due to roads conditions. We have a caravan park at Mazhou camping site on the western section of the park.
Fuel Stations: Petrol/ Diesel
There is no fuel station inside the park. The closest filling stations are in Musina 70 km and Alldays 65 km from the main gate.
Entry is via the SANParks Wild Card system, or payment at the gate. Cut off time for day visitors entry is two hours before the gate closing time. No open bakkies with people at the back will be allowed in to the Park.
Hints and Tips:
- Mapungubwe National Park is an area with large and dangerous game animals and unguided walking is not permitted. Guests, who would like to arrange activities such as walks, drives and visits to cultural attractions, can do so directly with Mapungubwe.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- Guests should take precautions against malaria when visiting Mapungubwe.
- All Mapungubwes camps are accessible by normal sedan vehicles, but it is advisable to have a 4x4 or high clearance vehicle to ensure an enjoyable drive inside the park. There are also a number of eco-trails for which a 4x4 is required.
- The closest shops and fuel supplies to Mapungubwe are in Alldays and Musina, both about 70 kms from the Park. We only sell snacks and refreshments at the Park.
- The are no debit card facilities available in the Park. Payments can only be made via cash or credit card. Cheques are not accepted.
Clothing and Accessories:
Mapungubwe has a Restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as a Curio Shop/Mini Confluence Shop selling snacks and refreshments. The units are self catering and fully equipped.
Sunscreen, hat, binoculars, field guides, liquids for drinking.
Fill up your fuel tank at Alldays/ Musina.
Health and Climate:
The climate is semi-arid with mean annual rainfall ranging from 350 mm - 400 mm. Rainfall is highly variable and usually falls during the summer months. Extended periods of below average rainfall occur. In summer temperatures sometimes rise to 45°C. The winters are mild.
Summer can be hot, but bearable and enjoyable if planned correctly. Early summer mornings and afternoons are the most rewarding in the park, for birds, trees and game. Winters are mild. There is on average 10 rainy days per year.
- Museum Tour
- Visit the Confluence
- Heritage Tours
- Game Drives
- Morning Guided Walks
- Bush Braais
In addition to the full cancellation of a reservation, any amendment to an existing reservation, which results in the value of the revised reservation being less than the original value, could result in cancellation fees being levied, according to the following schedule:
- No cancellation fees will be incurred for cancellations or changes 46 days or more prior to arrival;
- Cancellations fees of 50% of the total reservation is payable for cancellations and changes received between 45 and 30 days prior to arrival;
- A 100% cancellation fee is payable for cancellations received within 29 days of arrival;
- A 100% cancellation fee is payable for non-arrivals (no-shows).
If the arrival date of the itinerary is postponed prior to or on date of arrival and then cancelled at a later stage, the fees that applied at the time of amendment will be enforced if the amount is greater than the new cancellation fees.
Modification and cancellation charges may be levied on any other reservations amended or cancelled online, irrespective of the channel through which the reservations were originally made, and subject to the terms and conditions.
- Conservation levy is always excluded from the booking amount and needs to be settled on arrival.
Facilities & Services available:
Children under 12 years
Self-Braai / Barbecue
Mapungubwe National Park is a Self-Catering in Musina Limpopo South Africa