The Mkuze Game Reserve constitutes the north western spur of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park (previously known as the Greater St. Lucia Wetland Park).
Mantuma Camp A place of great beauty and high contrasts, it is renowned as a mecca for bird lovers, with more than 420 bird species on record. This diverse habitat includes wild dog, black and white rhino, elephant, giraffe, nyala, blue wildebeest, warthog, eland, hippo, impala, kudu and other smaller antelope. Rare species occurring are hyena, suni and leopard.
The Rhino Dine-O takeaway situated near Mantuma is open from 07:00 - 09:30 for breakfast; 11:30 - 14:00 for lunch and 17:00 - 19:00 for dinner.
PLEASE NOTE: The water is chlorinated and filtered for human consumption but is very salty. Mineral/spring water is on sale at the camp curio shop and Rhino-Dine-O takeaway OR you can bring your own drinking water.
A swimming pool is situated in the hutted camp and campsite respectively, strictly for accommodated guests only.
The curio shop sells basic necessities.
8-BED NHLONHLELA BUSH LODGE - situated a few minutes drive from the main camp (Mantuma camp). The Lodge comprises of 4 X 2-Bed units, connected to the central lounge, kitchen, deck and dining area by wooden boardwalks. All units are en suite with shower and toilet. A cook/caretaker is in attendance, as well as a field ranger to take visitors on game walks. The lodge is served by solar powered lighting. Good torches and a gas light are recommended.
2-Bed Chalets; fully equipped for self-catering
4-Bed (2 bedroom) Chalets; fully equipped for self-catering
6-Bed (3 bedroom) Cottages; fully equipped for self-catering
2-Bed Rest Huts (with communal ablution and -kitchen facilities)
The self-catering units are fully equipped with linen, towels, crockery, cutlery, stove, refrigerator and cooking utensils.
2-Bed Safari Tents
4-Bed Safari Tents (a 4-Bed Safari Tent comprises of 2 X 2-Bed Safari Tents next to each other, sharing a kitchen)
The tents are with 2 single beds each, en-suite shower, basin and toilet, Eskom power, fridge, crockery, towels and linen.
The kitchen of each tented unit is situated outside - open kitchen.
- No plug points for electric razors are available.
- Visitors need to provide their own food supplies and are required to do their own cooking and washing up.
- Units are serviced daily.
- Mosquito nets are provided in each accommodation unit.
PLEASE NOTE: The accommodation complexes are either not fenced or do not have a totally game proof fence surrounding them. Please do not walk beyond the vicinity of your own chalet or campsite after sunset unless it is essential to do so.
There is no allowance for LATE entry through these Gates.
Distance and Time from Gate to Camp: 10km, approx 20 minutes drive.
The nearest town which has a full range of services is Mkuze which is 28km away.
- Four game viewing hides are situated next to 4 pans. Visitors park their cars and enter the hides on foot. Depending on the surface water in the reserve, but normally during the drier winter months, large concentrations of game may be seen at the waterholes.
- In addition there are 2 bird viewing hides.
- The Fig Forest Guided Walking Trail (guided by a field ranger) should not be missed.
- Guided game or birding walks can be booked at the camp office and these take place twice daily starting at 06h00 in summer, and 15h00 in winter ( 2 hours)
- Guided night game drives (weather permitting)
From the south, the turn-off to the Mkhuze Game Reserve is signposted 35 km north of Hluhluwe. From this point, the road is gravel. Approximately 15km further turn right onto another signposted road through the Lebombo mountains.
The entrance is 10km along this road and the route is clearly signposted.
Visitors from the north should take the road through Mkuze Village, which is 18km from the entrance gate and 28km from Mantuma camp. This road is well signposted.