Makakatana Bay Lodge is situated within the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park World Heritage Site.
Safaris include trips to the big 5 Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve, Golden Beaches on the Indian Ocean, Boat and fishing safaris on Lake St Lucia, game drives viewing hippo and crocodile, bird watching walks and Zulu Cultural tours to name but a few.
Exclusively situated on the banks of the lake, this 20 bed luxury Lodge welcomes you to an elegantly decorated home from home.
A quick cocktail from the well-stocked bar fridge prepares you for the evening feasts. An interconnecting walkway leads you to a private camouflaged bush pool that allows you to sit, unnoticed as you watch the wildlife on and around the Lake.
Experience the captivating Wetlands by boat and seek out hippo, crocodile, birds and wildlife or visit the world famous Big 5 `Hluhluwe-Umfolozi` Game Reserve.
But, you cannot leave without exploring one of Maputalands` greatest assets - Makakatana will take you to the golden, unpolluted coastal beaches flanked by some of the highest dune forests in the world.
The virtually untouched beaches and pristine waters have the only turtle breeding grounds and tropical coral reefs in the subcontinent. Here you can snorkel, swim and take long walks on the undiscovered beaches of Cape Vidal.
Evening sun downers at Makakatana are quite spectacular. While you sit back and watch the sun setting, you will hear nothing but the sounds of Africa. Fish jumping, birds calling and hippo grunting.
Accommodation at Makakatana Bay Lodge:
Private, air-conditioned suites are splashed with a mixture of Eastern and African Interior styles. While three sides of the suites are lined with glass doors, one has the option of flinging them aside keeping the insect screens closed to deter any flying intruders who may feel sociable during the night.
The architecture is simply stunning, a feel for nature and the outdoors is carried into the bathrooms where one can lie back and watch the moon and stars through the glass roofed ceiling.
At night there is a change of atmosphere as soft lights line the boardwalks linking the suites.
Facilities in the rooms:
- Air conditioned / Heated
- Roof Fan
- Insect Proof Screen Doors
- Private Decks
- Dressing Rooms
- Separate Bathroom and Toilet
- Indoor Shower
- Outdoor Shower and Bath
- Service Bar Fridges
- Tea And Coffee Tray
The following safaris are conducted:
- Afternoon Drive on arrival
- Full Day Boat Safari
- Full Day Beach Safari in the Easternshores
- Hluhluwe-Umfolozi big 5 Game Reserve
- Night Drive
- Morning Drive on day of departure
Optional extra safaris:
- Whale watching
- Deep sea fishing
- Horse safaris
- Dumazulu Cultural Village
- Emdoneni Cat Rehabilitation Centre
Clothing and Accessories:
- Sun Cream
- Long Pants
- Long Sleeve Top
- Rain Jacket
- Swim Wear
Health and Climate:
Low Risk Malaria area.
Facilities & Services available:
Special Meals on Request
Bar on the Premises
Parking (off-street - covered)
Xhosa / Zulu
- 50% Cancellation Fees will be charged if bookings are cancelled within a month of the arrival date.
- 100% Cancellation Fees will be charged for bookings cancelled within two weeks of the arrival date.
- In the event of premature departure the full extent of stay as originally booked and confirmed will be charged.
- December bookings require a deposit 2 months prior to arrival and the cancellation fees are effective 2 months prior to arrival.
- Early check outs are not refundable.
- Please note all cancellations have to be made in writing and you need to receive an acknowledgement of your cancellation in writing.
Heading North on the N2 - pass the Mtubatuba / St. Lucia turnoff & keep heading North for approximately 20Km.
Heading South on the N2 - Pass the Hluhluwe turnoff & head south for about another 25 / 30Km - pass the Nyalazi River sign & then:
Lookout for the CHARTERS CREEK / MAKAKATANA turn-off.
Follow the tar road for approximately 14Km and keep going straight onto the dirt road towards Charters Creek.
About 1Km along the dirt road take the right fork at the Makakatana sign.
Keep on the dirt road and follow the signs for another 4Km.
Click to display the map