Makakatana Bay Lodge is situated within the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park World Heritage Site.
Safaris include trips to golden beaches on the Indian Ocean, Boat safaris on Lake St Lucia, game drives - viewing hippo and crocodile, bird watching walks, the big 5 Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve and Zulu Cultural tours to name but a few.
Exclusively situated on the banks of the lake, this 20 bed luxury Lodge welcomes you to an elegantly decorated home from home.
A quick cocktail from the well-stocked bar fridge prepares you for the evening feasts. An interconnecting walkway leads you to a private camouflaged bush pool that allows you to sit, unnoticed as you watch the wildlife on and around the Lake.
Experience the captivating Wetlands by boat and seek out hippo, crocodile, birds and wildlife or visit the world famous Big 5 `Hluhluwe-Umfolozi` Game Reserve.
But, you cannot leave without exploring one of Maputalands` greatest assets - Makakatana will take you to the golden, unpolluted coastal beaches flanked by some of the highest vegetated dunes in Southern Africa.
The virtually untouched beaches and pristine waters have amazing turtle breeding grounds and tropical coral reefs. Here you can snorkel, swim and take long walks on the undiscovered beaches of Cape Vidal.
Evening sun downers at Makakatana are quite spectacular. While you sit back and watch the sun setting, you will hear nothing but the sounds of Africa. Fish jumping, birds calling and hippo grunting.
Accommodation at Makakatana Bay Lodge:
Private, air-conditioned suites are splashed with a mixture of Eastern and African Interior styles. While three sides of the suites are lined with glass doors and windows, one has the option of flinging them aside keeping the insect screens closed to deter any flying intruders who may feel sociable during the night.
The architecture is simply stunning, a feel for nature and the outdoors is carried into the bathrooms where one can lie back and watch the moon and stars in the outside bath.
At night there is a change of atmosphere as soft lights line the boardwalks linking the suites.
Facilities in the rooms:
- Air conditioned / Heated
- Roof Fan
- Insect Proof Screen Doors
- Private Decks
- Dressing Rooms
- Separate Bathroom and Toilet
- Indoor Shower
- Outdoor Shower and Bath
- Service Bar Fridges
- Tea And Coffee Tray
The following safaris are conducted:
- Afternoon Drive on arrival
- Full Day Boat Safari
- Full Day Beach Safari in the Easternshores
- Hluhluwe-Umfolozi big 5 Game Reserve (with prior arangement)
- Night Drive
- Morning Drive on day of departure
Optional extra safaris:
- Whale watching
- Deep sea fishing
- Horse safaris
- Dumazulu Cultural Village
- Emdoneni Cat Rehabilitation Centre
From Durban/King Shaka International Airport (2h30 drive +/- 260km) - Head north on the N2, pass Empangeni/ Richards Bay and continue past the Mtubatuba / St Lucia turnoff, keeping on the N2 for approximately another 20Km before you reach the P380 / iSimangaliso Nhlozi gate 11 Turnoff.
From Gauteng (6h30 Drive) - Head South on the N2, pass Pongola then Mkuze and then pass the Hluhluwe turnoff & head south for about another 25 / 30Km – pass the Nyalazi River sign and about 1 km thereafter turn left at the P380 / iSimangaliso Nhlozi gate 11 Turnoff.
From the N2 turnoff, drive for about 10kms to get to the iSimanagaliso Nhlozi entrance gate 1. You will stop at the boom gate and pay entrance fees. Continue straight on the on the tarred road for about 3.5 km and turn right. (Keep an eye open for the concrete direction blocks on the ground to help you find us). Continue straight for about 1km and at the circle (you will see another concrete direction block) keep straight for another 2km and follow the signs to Makakatana.
At the green gate press the buzzer where reception will open for you. Drive down the sand road tunnelled by the magical overhang of trees (+/- 900m) that will lead you to Makakatana Bay Lodge where the team will be waiting to welcome you.
(Total distance from the N2 turn off to the lodge is 17.5km)
- We welcome children 6-12 years of age.
- Children under the age of 12 are to be under supervision of their parents at all times.
- Exceptions are made to accept children under the age of 6 subject to special application for group bookings and consent from the owners.
- At the discretion and special consent of the owners, bookings may be considered for families travelling with children under the age of 6.
- Child rates apply to all children under 12 years of age.
- Children under 6 years are not permitted on the safari drives.
- Baby sitters must be booked in advance.
- Children joining parents on game drives are confirmed at the managers discretion and are subject to the impact on other guests during their stay.
- Our staff will discuss and confirm dining arrangements and kiddies meals on check in.
- Children 6 -12 years are permitted to dine in the boma at the discretion of management.
- If parents would like to book full day safaris or morning or afternoon game drives, baby sitters must be booked in advance prior to arrival.
- Baby sitting fees are charged per hour and will be added to the guests account on check out.
- Please note that the swimming pool is unmanned and unfenced.
- No walking off lodge buildings unsupervised by parents as there are wild animals in the park.
- Guests with children need to be considerate of noise levels affecting other guests.