Luxury Breede River View at Witsand
- Perfect view of the Breede River and Mountains, we offer comfortable self-catering accommodation in a 2-bedroom holiday apartment with lovely views of the Breede River from the balcony with seating area. The apartment is situated at the Breede River Lodge, just walking distance from the beach.
The location offers access to the harbour with activities such as canoeing, as well as a bar and restaurant. Luxury Breederiver View at Witsand provides accommodation situated in Witsand, 500 m from Witsand Tourism Information Centre and 2 km from Public Slipway.
Westfield 4WD-trail registration is 2.7 km from the apartment.
Accommodation at Luxury Breede River View at Witsand:
The holiday apartment has 2 bedrooms, each with their own bathroom, and an open-plan kitchen and living area. The main bedroom contains a king-size bed and has an en-suite bathroom with a bath and a shower. The second bedroom contains 2 single beds and has an en-suite bathroom with a shower.
There is also a child-only sleeper couch for 2 under 12 if needed. The kitchen is equipped for self-catering with a fridge, an oven and stove, and a microwave and is open plan to the dining and lounge area. The living area leads onto a lovely balcony from where guests can enjoy lovely views of the Breede River.
Guests have access to braai facilities, on-site parking , swimming pool and selected DStv channels.
Luxury Breede River View at Witsand Activities: Witsand Activities:
Although it is primarily known for its multitude of whales from June to November, there is much to keep one entertained during the summer months. With stunning beaches, some of the best estuary fishing in the country, the Langeberg Mountains providing a beautiful backdrop and an unhurried peaceful ambiance, Witsand is well worth a visit.
Land-based whale watching from July to November. See up to 70 whales in the Bay at one time. Whale statistics have earned Witsand the title of "The Whale Nursery of South Africa". ''The Whale Induna'' video was filmed in Witsand. With stunning footage of the whales, this makes a wonderful souvenir. Barry's are the distributors of the video and will gladly post you a copy once payment has been received. (Phone 028 537 1717).
This is the widest river estuary in SA and reputedly has some the best estuary fishing in South Africa.
• River cruises up to the Bush Pub or Malgas with "Capt DUDE".
• The river boasts an abundance of birdlife and is home of the Big Cob.
• Pansy snorkeling is done over the sand banks before low tide.
• Kite Boarding - wind pumps in summer in the afternoons.
• Canoeing - great expanse of water at your fingertips, a tricky challenge on windy days.
• Horseriding - over the dunes onto the beach and along the river.
• Ostrich farms - visit a working free range ostrich farm.
• Quadbiking - over the dunes, between the fynbos and milkwoods.
• Cycling routes - safe tarred roads or the mountain biking option on good gravel roads through beautiful scenic farmlands.
• 4x4 Trails - great tracks to enjoy with your family. Stunning views of whales in season.
• De Hoop nature reserve just over an hours' drive away and well worth a visit
• Puntjie Walk: - ± 15 km.
• Moodies Well Walk: - 8 or 12 km.
• Moddergat Walk: - ± 4 km.
• Skuitbaai Walk: - ± 3 km.
• Infanta Walk: - ± 5 km
On other side of Breede River:
• Breede River Mouth Walk: - ± 6km.
• River View Walk - ± 2.5 km
• Barry Memorial Church - Port Beaufort built in 1859 by the Barry family.
• Meerlust - a wonderful example of the architecture of yesteryear.
• Woolshed - the first wool shed built in SA.
• 'The Kraaltjie' - harbour built by the Barry family in the 18th century.
"Vondeling" children's choir is made up of children attending the small farm school near Witsand/ Port Beaufort. They have been blessed with beautiful voices and love singing and playing the recorder. They are available to sing to tourists during the school term, between 9 and 12 daily by prior arrangement.
One on the beach, one on the river, and one in the dunes.
Attractions at Witsand:
Witsand. Cross the 4-way stop and find the Lodge (+/- 200m down) on the bank of the river on your left
• Stunning sunsets over the Breede River.
• Sunrises over the ocean - the best time of the day!
• Beaches are clean and beautiful, with a tidal pool.
• Interesting rock pools for the kiddies to swim in.
• Flocks of Blue Cranes - South Africa's National bird.
• Black Oystercatchers - breeding area for this endangered species.
Private harbor, fishing charters, river eco - cruises, whale watching (only from the shore) and a swimming pool. Guests can go fishing, the restaurant will clean, cook or freeze all fish you have caught. A boat trip can be arranged with the Pili Pili Restaurant or any other charter. A picnic is always nice on the sandy banks of the river.
A little paradise on South Africa's largest tidal river. Lovely beach and rock, surf, deep sea and Estuary fishing.
Protected whale nursery,floral, game, marine and avian reserves.
Click to display the map