Lotheni - Drakensberg Park is situated in the southern section of the uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park and is noted for its magnificent scenery and hiking.
Accommodation at Lotheni - Drakensberg Park
Lotheni Hutted Camp
- The comfortable hutted camp, electrically lit by generator form 17:00- 22:00, consists of 12 self-contained chalets, each with its own refrigerator, two- plate gas stove (with a small oven), bathroom and toilet.
- In addition to the chalets there are 2 six-bed fully self-contained cottages.
- Visitors must bring all their won food supplies and do their won cooking.
- The nearest source of provision is at the Lotheni store, which is 14 km form the camp.
- The curio shop at Lotheni supplies some basic groceries.
- A deep freeze is situated in the camp kitchen and is available for use by camp visitors, as is a single large gas stove.
Accommodation - Skimes Cottage
- Simes cottage is a converted old farm house and can accommodate 10 people in four rooms.
- It is equipped with gas and visitors do their own cooking and need to bring their won towels, sheets and pillow-slips.
- The cottage is situated next to a small dam, which is regularly stocked with trout.
- The dam is reserved exclusively for visitors staying at Simes cottage.
Accommodation - Campsites
- There is a campground containing 14 campsites and served by an ablution block with hot and cold water, situated 2 km from the camp, further up the Lotheni Valley into the mountains.
High Season dates applicable for 2018:
12 December 2018 to 8 January 2019
20 March 2019 to 8 April 2019
19 April 2019 to 22 April 2019
14 June 2019 to 15 July 2019
8 August 2019 to 11 August 2019
20 September 2019 to 6 October 2019
Activities at Lotheni - Drakensberg Park:
- Wildlife includes species such as common and mountain reedbuck, grey reedbuck, eland, grey duiker, oribi, Cape clawless otter, mongoose and baboon. There is a diversity of birds, including black stork, verreauxs eagle, bearded vulture, lanner falcon, Cape vulture and giant kingfisher.
- Many delightful walks and climbs may be undertaken and there are excursions of this nature to suit all ages. It is advisable to carry warm clothing at all times as the weather is often unpredictable.
- Mountain biking is allowed in designated areas. Picnicking is popular and visitors are encouraged to take packed lunches with them.
- Although chilly, swimming in the Lotheni River is safe unless it is in flood. There is a very good swimming spot approximately 1 km below the camp at Cool Pools. The park is popular rendezvous for trout fishermen. Approximately 16 km of the Lotheni River is stocked with brown trout. Should you wish to fish, the payment of a daily rod fee is required to be made at the Camp Office. Only fly tackle is permissible.
Visitors should make a point of visiting the Lotheni Settlers Homestead Museum. An interesting collection of early settler farming implements and home utensils is on display at the old Root homestead, which as been restored and refurnished in the style of the period.
- No pets are permitted in the park
- Camping anywhere other than in designated areas is forbidden
Gate entry time
Summer (1 October- 31 March) 05: 00- 19:00
Winter (1 April- 30 September) 6:00- 18:00
- The making of fire is strictly prohibited, except n designated areas in the camp and campsite, because of the hazard of veld fires.
- Hikers are reminded that all refuse must be brought back to the camp for disposal
- Hikers must complete the mountain rescue register at the camp office before and after their hike
Limited curios and supplies.
The weather is subject to change at short notice and can become very cold. Hikers need to be well equipped.
The nearest town which has a full range of services is Underberg which is 50 kms away.
All bookings are confirmed once payment or partial payment is received.
Cancellations greater than 45 days prior to arrival = 10% of amount (min R100)
Cancellation within 45 to 30 days of arrival = 25% of the amount.
Cancellation within 29 to 15 days of arrival = 50% of the amount.
Cancellation within 14 days & arrival date = 100% of the amount.
Amending booked dates is as good as cancelling a booking if it falls within the cancellation period. Same policy applies to amending a booking.
Facilities & Services available:
Children under 12 years
Lotheni - Drakensberg Park is a Self-Catering in Himeville Southern Drakensberg KwaZulu-Natal South Africa