In a valley among the foothills of the Southern Drakensberg a World Heritage Site lies a secluded lake, a natural sanctuary far from the distractions of modern life.
This is where Paul and Jenny van Tichelen chose to set their dream, and to share it with others. Lake Naverone is an idyllic Berg retreat where you and your family can enjoy a true natural experience amidst this World Heritage site, all year round.
The lake and surrounding 400-hectare estate, provide an awesome environment for a variety of outdoor activities such as trout fishing (river and lake), hiking, mountain biking, horse riding, birding and photography.
The picturesque stone cottages, some situated on the lakeside and some in tranquil clearings shadowed by the surrounding woods, provide fully serviced, self-catering accommodation.
Lake Naverone is situated 30km from Underberg on a newly tarred road. A well maintained 1000m landing strip and hireable lock-up hangar make it easily accessible by air.
Accommodation at Lake Naverone:
We have 21 picturesque stone cottages, some situated on the lakeside and some in tranquil clearings shadowed by the surrounding woods. Our cottages vary in size from 2 sleepers to 12 sleepers
The cottages are positioned to provide magnificent views and to ensure privacy with convenient access to the Lake. In addition to electric lights, fridge (with freezer compartment), stove and plug points, they all have fireplaces and private braai facilities. A free basket of firewood is supplied daily. The cottages are fully equipped and serviced daily by cleaning staff, all linen (i.e. blankets, sheets, pillowcases and towels) is supplied. Cots can be provided on request.
PET FRIENDLY COTTAGE OPTION IS NO 9 HAMMERKOP
Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and then most of the time is spent waiting for you to come home
So we have decided to make a change if you enjoy holidaying with your pet. No 9 is a wonderful spacious cottage, giving you the views of the castle, while relaxing in your garden knowing you have a fully fenced area where your pet can roam free. Of course we have some rules which you have to abide to but that is such a little to expect if your pet is able to be with you.
- Dog Friendly Cottage (small dogs only)
- Dog must sleep indoors
- No dogs allowed on furniture or beds and must be tick and flea free.
- Dogs must be on a leash when walking outside of the cottage perimeter.
- A R550.00 dog damage deposit will be required.
- Please make sure to use a poop scoop at all times
- Dogs will not be allowed to continuously bark
- Please bring your own dog bowls and food
- Please note that we are in a natural area and that snakes and baboon are common here.
- We are surrounded by a world heritage site and therefore dogs will be shot on site if they are found within the park. It is therefore advised that you keep a close eye on your pup.
- Consideration must be given to resident dogs.
Lake Naverone is nestled some 1,660m above sea level on a magnificent lake in a hidden valley at the base of the majestic Southern Drakensberg mountain range. This unique position brilliantly lends itself to an idyllic destination for a relaxing and romantic honeymoon or anniversary holiday, far away from the outside world and rigors of city life. Our four cosy cottages situated on the lake edge all with four-poster beds and fireplaces offer privacy with sweeping views across the water to the nearby misty mountains.
Our malaria free resort adjoins the Drakensberg World Heritage Park where there are numerous hiking trails and San Rock Art to be seen and your stay at Lake Naverone can be as busy or as peaceful and tranquil as you would like it to be. Our fully equipped self-catering cottages give you the freedom of having your meals if and when you want, and if the whim arises you can enjoy a night out in one of the four nearby restaurants.
From Durban, Pietermaritzburg & Gauteng.
- Take the R617 (exit 99) from N3 highway at Howick south. Follow the road through Boston & Bulwer to Underberg.. Drive through Underberg and continue along the road for 4km.
- Just before you get to a large bridge there is a Drakensberg Gardens Resort signpost indicating a turn to the right. Follow that road for 27km.
From the KZN South Coast:
- Take the N2 exit to Kokstad at Port Shepstone. Then take the R617 from Kokstad via Swartberg.
- Follow the directions to Underberg. About 4km before Underberg cross the bridge over the river and turn left into the Drakensberg Gardens Road.