Die Groenhuis Gastehuis includes 3 carefully restored Karoo townhouses from which the oldest dates back to 1890. These guesthouses accommodate up to 20 guests in en-suite bedrooms. Die Groenhuis is a perfect halfway house between Gauteng and the Cape. The quiet road (R717) from Colesberg via Philippolis to Trompsburg provides a shorter route than the N1.
Our carefully restored Karoo townhouses, the oldest of which dates back to 1890, can accommodate up to 20 guests in en-suite bedrooms. Die Groenhuis is a perfect halfway house between Gauteng and the Cape. The quiet road (R717) from Colesberg via Philippolis to Trompsburg provides a shorter route than the N1.
Die Groenhuis is situated on the edge of town and evokes memories of being on a farm. Enjoy a late afternoon stroll and don’t be surprised if you come across peacocks, buffalos and even rhinos roaming the land! Olden-day flowers such as roses add to the calm atmosphere and spirit of Die Groenhuis. Relax on the wooden bench nestled on the stoep and savour the stunning view of the Karoo with its “koppies”. Walk barefoot in our garden taking in the lusciously green grass and smell the sweet aroma of our pear and lemon trees who are always grateful for the area’s sporadic rainfall. The irrigation reservoir has been stripped of its koi carp by overzealous feeding by the local stalks. When the rains come in January, the Vaaljapie (tractor) from 1956 will be used to prepare the vegatable garden for the new growing season.
* Transgariep Museum - exhibits of Emily * Hobhouses weaving school and the Griqua period.
* Rides through Philippolis on Caf Khooas horse-drawn cart
* Birdwatching more than 200 species
* Walkabout through Philippolis historic streets
* The old Kruithuis (ammunition depot)
* The annual Horse Show held in November
* The April Witblits Festival
* Dutch Reformed Church Conference Centre
* Safaris and Hunting packages
* Outstanding fishing spots
* Near to the Gariep and Vanderkloof dams
* Enjoy delicious Karoo cuisine with a bottle of wine (may be local Free State wine?) at our house restaurant.
* We can accommodate up to 20 guests in our cottages - an ideal venue for family reunions, weekend breakaways, small weddings ...
* We cater for 20 guests in 10 en suite rooms equiped with fans, electric blankets, heaters, coffee/tea tray.
* Own entrance.
* Self catering possible.
* Dutch, Afrikaans, English spoken.
Especially during the holiday season, the R717 is an ideal alternative route to the N1. This tarred road is both quiet and 7km shorter than the N1. Turn off at Colesberg or Trompsburg and avoid heavy traffic for about 120km.