Golden Gate Highlands National Park
, lies nestled in the rolling foothills of the Maluti Mountains of the north-eastern Free State.
This is true highlands habitat, home to a variety of mammals - black wildebeest, eland, blesbok, oribi, springbok and Burchell's zebra - and birds, including the rare bearded vulture (lammergeier) and the equally rare bald ibis, which breed in the ledges of the sandstone cliff. Golden Gate Highlands National Park
derives its name from the brilliant shades of gold cast by the sun on the park's sandstone cliffs, especially the imposing Brandwag rock.
Generaalskop, the highest point in the park, reveals a breathtaking tapestry of red, yellow and purple hues as its warm shades merge with the cool mountain shadows towards evening.
Places of interest at Golden Gate Highlands National Park include:
- the Van Reenen family graveyard
- the impressive Brandwag buttress rock formation
- a bird hide at the Langtoon Dam
- interesting lookout points and viewpoints - Zuluhoek lookout point, Generaalskop viewpoint, the third highest point in the park; Oribi basin and Drakensberg view. Accommodation at Golden Gate Highlands National ParkGlen Reenen Restcamp
Situated about 10km from the entrance gate of Golden Gate Highlands National Park, it offers a variety of Rondavels, Longdavels and Family Cottages as well as a Farm House.Highlands Mountain Retreat
Highlands Mountain Retreat is a luxury camp 2200m above sea-level offering eight log cabins nestled in the foothills of Golden Gate.Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp
Situated on the eastern side of the Park at the Cultural Village with selfcatering accommodation in rondawels.Golden Gate Hotel
Nestled in the rolling foothills of the Maluti Mountains of the north eastern Free State lies the Golden Gate Hotel in the Golden Gate Highlands National Park.
The gates in Golden Gate do not close. The road running through the Park is a public road which does not allow for the installation of any boom gates. Gate control is done at both receptions (Golden Gate Hotel and Glen Reenen Rest Camp) on arrival.Important Notice
1. Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees
which are payable at the entrance gates.
2. Please ensure that you are familiar with the Rules & Regulations
of National Parks before making a booking.
3. Golden Gate Highlands National Park currently does not have a liquor license, you are welcome to bring your own liquor.Facilities at Golden Gate Highlands National Park
Picnic site for day visitors has ablution and barbecue facilities.
Glen Reenen Restcamp has a general dealer. Activities at Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Short nature trails (varying from 1 hour to 5 hours): no bookings required.
- Game viewing at leisure in own vehicle.
- Environmental education courses (varying from 1 to 5 days).
- Horse-riding during peak periods.
- Swimming in natural pool at Glen Reenen Restcamp
- Basotho Cultural Village
- Rhebok Hiking Trail
(2 days and 1 night): maximum of 18 persons per group. Climate
Cool highveld summers with the possibility of thunderstorms in the afternoon and cold winters with occasional snow transforming the park into a white wonderland.
In addition to the full cancellation of a reservation, any amendment to an existing reservation, which results in the value of the revised reservation being less than the original value, could result in cancellation fees being levied, according to the following schedule:
- No cancellation fees will be incurred for cancellations or changes 46 days or more prior to arrival;
- Cancellations fees of 50% of the total reservation is payable for cancellations and changes received between 45 and 30 days prior to arrival;
- A 100% cancellation fee is payable for cancellations received within 29 days of arrival;
- A 100% cancellation fee is payable for non-arrivals (no-shows).
If the arrival date of the itinerary is postponed prior to or on date of arrival and then cancelled at a later stage, the fees that applied at the time of amendment will be enforced if the amount is greater than the new cancellation fees.
Modification and cancellation charges may be levied on any other reservations amended or cancelled online, irrespective of the channel through which the reservations were originally made, and subject to the terms and conditions.
- Conservation levy is always excluded from the booking amount and needs to be settled on arrival.
Golden Gate Highlands National Park is a Self-Catering and Game Lodge in Clarens Free State South Africa