Forest Edge Holiday Cottages - A Nature-lovers` retreat birds, game, secluded rock pools, forest walks and biking trails. Sun downers with fireflies and cosy log-fires. Experience the Magic of the Forest.
Off the beaten track, quietly nestling in the Millwood Indigenous Knysna Forest, Garden Route a self-catering vacation haven for nature-loving families, stressed-out city-dwellers, adventurers and honeymooners.
Each fully equipped 2-bedroomed cottage houses up to 5 persons. The accommodations offer an authentic, memorable and affordable break-away holiday experience.
Experience an emerald day on Forest walks, picnics or biking trail adventures, lazing in a hammock, or visit the beach or Knysna town (20 min away). Rejuvenate in a hot-water outdoor shower or indoor bath. Mellow out on the chalet verandah, watching birds or buck drink at the dam.
Light a braai (barbeque) under the stars; flitting fireflies and evocative night jars add to the enchantment. In winter enjoy a book or movie by the cozy log-fire.
Accommodation at Forest Edge Holiday Cottages:
The 5 fully equipped self-catering cottages sleep 5 persons each and are identical in layout. Our Award-winning cottages are aptly named Fire Fly, Froggy Pond, Fairy Den, Foxglove and Field Mouse.
The shaded veranda with table and chairs overlooks the private barbeque, with a grid. Fire wood is available for sale.
As you open the front door, you will be charmed by:
- Cozy fireplace
- Main bedroom with a double bed
- The toilet is separate
- The outdoor shower offers a special alternative
- A welcoming open-plan lounge / dining / kitchen area
- Second bedroom with 2 single beds (or bunk beds in Lushgreen)
- A cot and/or extra mattress and bedding can be provided on request
- The bathroom has a romantic cup bath and basin
- Television 1/2/3 and E-TV plus DVD
- A fridge with freezer compartment
- A Hammock for secluded, shady lazing
- A stove with oven plus a microwave oven
- Bedding, linen and bathing towels provided
- Private outdoor hot-water shower in addition to indoor bath
- Park right next to your cottage, in a safe environment
- A small library of books and movies in each cottage
- Cleaning Services included (excl Sundays/public holidays)
Common facilities provided:
- Jungle Gym
- Open air communal log seat fireplace - ideal for large groups
- Delight in bird- and game-watching, it is a nature-lover's heaven
- Enjoy an in-cottage or Forest professional massage
- Relax while your kids explore Forest Edge and the Jungle Gym in safety
- Feed or brush our tame Pet Donkeys (Hansel and Gretel)
- Explore Forest Edge, exclusive Forest walks and Woodcutters Graves
- Mountain bike on and around the property
- Laze in a sheltered hammock or braai/picnic next to the pond
- Have sun downers on the veranda or star-gaze at the night sky
- Share a cozy log fire, watch a video or read or sleep or do nothing
Approximately 10 minutes walk/drive away:
- Bathe in a secluded rock pool in a crisp, clear Forest stream (or 30 min walk to magnificent Drupkelders' rock pools and waterfalls)
- Experience a unique, healing Forest massage in a Forest setting
- Swim or canoe at "The Drift"
- Explore the Bushpig Design Studio, Screenprinting Workshop and shop
- Get active on the Woodcutter hiking trail or Homtini cycle route
- Savour the most mouth watering buffet in the Cape, at Totties' Eatery
20 minutes' plus drive away:
- The spotless & safe Buffels' Bay Beach (& bypass peak season traffic)
- Forest Canopy tours, sea kayaking, rock climbing, abseiling, golf
- Knysna's sea food restaurants, waterfront, movie house, shops/curios
- The Outeniqua Power Van - great train outing from George Transport Museum
- Luxury Ferry boat rides to the Featherbed Private Nature Reserve
- Whale and Dolphin Ocean tours, or sea/lagoon fishing
- Fresh variety at Sedgefield's Farmer's Market (not to be missed)
- Picnic at Jubilee Creek, where gold used to be panned
- Millwood museum, tea garden and gold mining tours
- Outeniqua Hiking Trail or Professionally guided birding- / eco-trails
- Monkeyland Primate Sanctuary or Knysna Elephant Park for day trips
Health and Climate:
Winters: Knysna's best kept secret. Generally: Log-fire cold nights and mild T-shirt days. Little rain and no mosquitos.
Summers: Nights may still get chilly and days can get hot.
Facilities & Services available:
Children under 12
Fax & Photocopy Machine
Fireplace on the Premises
Tourism Information Desk
DVD and/or VCR
Hiking / Walking Trails
A 50% non-refundable deposit to secure booking - we regret no exceptions. Balance becomes a non-refundable deposit due 10 days prior to arrival. Credit card payments will only result in confirmed bookings after a charge-back waiver document is received. R300 surcharge on check-ins after 22:00 and single-night stays (only when we allowed it at our discretion).
From the N2 between Sedgefield & Knysna:
About 1.5km west of the Knysna lagoon bridge, turn north onto the Rheenendal road.
After 11.5km, just past the Rheenendal Petrol Station, turn right at the Bibby's Hoek sign. Follow the dirt road for 2.2km.
Turn left at the intersection and continue for 1.5km. Forest Edge is the last property on this road tranquility at its best!
The dirt roads are quite passable even by small cars - if you have a very low/sports car or if you are especially concerned, check latest conditions.
Click to display the map