Forest Edge Holiday Cottages - A Nature-lovers` retreat birds, game, secluded rock pools, forest walks and biking trails. Sun downers with fireflies and cosy log-fires. Experience the Magic of the Forest.
Off the beaten track, quietly nestling in the Millwood Indigenous Knysna Forest, Garden Route a self-catering vacation haven for nature-loving families, stressed-out city-dwellers, adventurers and honeymooners.
Each fully equipped 2-bedroomed cottage houses up to 5 persons. The accommodations offer an authentic, memorable and affordable break-away holiday experience.
Experience an emerald day on Forest walks, picnics or biking trail adventures, lazing in a hammock, or visit the beach or Knysna town (20 min away). Rejuvenate in a hot-water outdoor shower or indoor bath. Mellow out on the chalet verandah, watching birds or buck drink at the dam.
Light a braai (barbeque) under the stars; flitting fireflies and evocative night jars add to the enchantment. In winter enjoy a book or movie by the cozy log-fire.
Accommodation at Forest Edge Holiday Cottages:
The 5 fully equipped self-catering cottages sleep 5 persons each and are identical in layout. Our Award-winning cottages are aptly named Fire Fly, Froggy Pond, Fairy Den, Foxglove and Field Mouse.
The shaded veranda with table and chairs overlooks the private barbeque, with a grid. Fire wood is available for sale.
As you open the front door, you will be charmed by:
- Cozy fireplace
- Main bedroom with a double bed
- The toilet is separate
- The outdoor shower offers a special alternative
- A welcoming open-plan lounge / dining / kitchen area
- Second bedroom with 2 single beds (or bunk beds in Lushgreen)
- A cot and/or extra mattress and bedding can be provided on request
- The bathroom has a romantic cup bath and basin
- Television 1/2/3 and E-TV plus DVD
- A fridge with freezer compartment
- A Hammock for secluded, shady lazing
- A stove with oven plus a microwave oven
- Bedding, linen and bathing towels provided
- Private outdoor hot-water shower in addition to indoor bath
- Park right next to your cottage, in a safe environment
- A small library of books and movies in each cottage
- Cleaning Services included (excl Sundays/public holidays)
Common facilities provided:
- Jungle Gym
- Open air communal log seat fireplace - ideal for large groups
- Delight in bird- and game-watching, it is a nature-lover's heaven
- Enjoy an in-cottage or Forest professional massage
- Relax while your kids explore Forest Edge and the Jungle Gym in safety
- Feed or brush our tame Pet Donkeys (Hansel and Gretel)
- Explore Forest Edge, exclusive Forest walks and Woodcutters Graves
- Mountain bike on and around the property
- Laze in a sheltered hammock or braai/picnic next to the pond
- Have sun downers on the veranda or star-gaze at the night sky
- Share a cozy log fire, watch a video or read or sleep or do nothing
Approximately 10 minutes walk/drive away:
- Bathe in a secluded rock pool in a crisp, clear Forest stream (or 30 min walk to magnificent Drupkelders' rock pools and waterfalls)
- Experience a unique, healing Forest massage in a Forest setting
- Swim or canoe at "The Drift"
- Explore the Bushpig Design Studio, Screenprinting Workshop and shop
- Get active on the Woodcutter hiking trail or Homtini cycle route
- Savour the most mouth watering buffet in the Cape, at Totties' Eatery
20 minutes' plus drive away:
- The spotless & safe Buffels' Bay Beach (& bypass peak season traffic)
- Forest Canopy tours, sea kayaking, rock climbing, abseiling, golf
- Knysna's sea food restaurants, waterfront, movie house, shops/curios
- The Outeniqua Power Van - great train outing from George Transport Museum
- Luxury Ferry boat rides to the Featherbed Private Nature Reserve
- Whale and Dolphin Ocean tours, or sea/lagoon fishing
- Fresh variety at Sedgefield's Farmer's Market (not to be missed)
- Picnic at Jubilee Creek, where gold used to be panned
- Millwood museum, tea garden and gold mining tours
- Outeniqua Hiking Trail or Professionally guided birding- / eco-trails
- Monkeyland Primate Sanctuary or Knysna Elephant Park for day trips
Health and Climate:
Winters: Knysna's best kept secret. Generally: Log-fire cold nights and mild T-shirt days. Little rain and no mosquitos.
Summers: Nights may still get chilly and days can get hot.
A 50% non-refundable deposit to secure booking - we regret no exceptions. Balance becomes a non-refundable deposit due 10 days prior to arrival. Credit card payments will only result in confirmed bookings after a charge-back waiver document is received. R300 surcharge on check-ins after 22:00 and single-night stays (only when we allowed it at our discretion).
Facilities & Services available:
Children under 12
Fax & Photocopy Machine
Fireplace on the Premises
Tourism Information Desk
DVD and/or VCR
Hiking / Walking Trails