The 800 ha reserve of farm 215 lies half way up fynbos-covered mountains in the unspoilt Southern-most region of the African continent and has panoramic views over the Agulhas Plains towards the ocean.
Far removed from the daily grind of life, Farm 215 is a private and secluded retreat where you can enjoy tranquility, an overpowering sense of space and the unique nature of the Cape Floral Kingdom.
Meals, made from local ingredients and with an eye to detail, are served in the spacious dining- and bar-area, the chef decides the menu, but will take dietary requirements into account. The 25 m heated lap-pool is reached via a wooden boardwalk from the restaurant. A covered courtyard provides shelter against the mid-day heat.
Farm 215 is an environmentally compatible operation, including waste and water recycling, solar power, solar heating and use of bio-degradable detergents. All employees are local and all products are sourced from the area.
Current projects include sustainable harvesting of field flowers to contribute to local employment and various innovative and economical activities.
The guesthouse offers three accommodation-types :
* The fynbos-suite is the most luxurious accommodation of Farm 215. The freestanding fynbos-suites are spaced out along a meandering path to ensure privacy and undisturbed views.
The suites are contemporary and very spacious and consist of three inter-connected spaces : lounge, sleeping area and bath-area. A covered deck stretches out over the whole length of the suite.
* The two rooms on the first floor in the homestead are divided by a hall. With large sash-windows the spacious rooms are light and airy, yet have a more traditional feel than the suites. An extra bed can be made up in both rooms.
The homestead is the highest-lying accommodation of the retreat and the homestead rooms have the widest and furthest of views.
* The one room downstairs in the homestead is spacious, has a comfortable lounge area, a covered deck and private garden.
Please note Farm 215 is not a place for televisions. There is, however, an large book-collection on many subjects, and a remarkable music collection.
This region is excellent horse-country. Several one- to more-day guided horse trails from beach to mountain are organised by the African Horse Company from farm 215.
If you want to go on a shorter or longer walk in the reserve, you are welcome do so on your own (detailed map available)
Mountainbiking : 30 km circular Klipspringer route takes riders through the Lomond vineyards and through the magnificent fynbos on farm 215. The climb is tough, but the views at the top are worth the effort. Bring your own mountainbike.
Bird-watching & guides in the area:
Birdlife Africa has selected Farm 215 as a "birder friendly establishment". There is a surprising abundance of birds in the reserve and the greater area.
Treatment / massage can be arranged in the privacy of your private quarters.
Whale & shark watching:
Danger Point Peninsula is considered to be one of the best places in the world to observe Great White Sharks from the safety of cages lowered from boats.
Danger Point Peninsula is also reputed to offer the finest land- and boat-based whale watching in the world
- From Cape Town / Cape Town airport take the N2 to the east direction [airport] / Somerset West and climb and descend Sir Lowry's pass (part of N2)
- At Bot Rivier, leave N2 and take turn off to Hermanus (R 43), drive through Hermanus, out of Hermanus, continue on R43.
- 25 km after Hermanus, you will see Stanford to your right (keep it there) and after Stanford continue for 12 km on the R43 until you see a sign Grootbos
- Turn left into the Grootbos road . After the entrance to the Grootbos lodge, the road becomes a gravel road
- Carry on for approx 8 km until you get to a T-junction.
- At the T-junction, turn left, ignore turn-off to Avoka (you want to turn left at next turn-off) and once you see a big dam (lake) and vineyards to your left, start paying attention.
- At the end of the vineyards, you'll see a brown tourism sign "farm 215
- Turn left at the first possibility after this sign
- Gate at road-entrance has sign: "farm 215"
- Follow this road for approx. 1 km and you'll see a cottage on your left
- Turn right into entrance just after cottage and follow road to main house (keep left / follow reception and arrows)
These dirt roads are suitable for all normal cars, but you want to drive careful and watch out for the occasional pothole.
The fynbos-suited are large (70m) freestanding units connected with meandering footpath to the homestead and restaurant (75 m apart). Three spaces (lounge / sleeping / bathing) in open connection (but separated by walls). Woodstove / ceiling-fan / bath and separate shower. Study table / comfortable chairs. Large covered deck. These units are purely electrified by solar power resulting in one minor concession to the level of luxury and comfort (you cannot use a hair dryer). The suite in the middle has a twin bed in a King frame and the other two each have a King-size bed. In all suites a bed can be made up for a child under 12 on a small sofa couch on request.
Homestead Rooms upstairs (x2): Spacious rooms on first floor of villa with bathroom en-suite with bath and separate shower. One has a King-size bed, the other a twin in a King frame / study table / comfortable chairs / woodstoves / ceiling-fan. An additional bed can be made up in each room on request.
Homestead Room Downstairs (X1)
Groundfloor room with twin bed in a King frame, lounge with woodstove, en-suite bathroom with bath and separate shower with double shower head, separate toilet. Covered deck and private garden.