At the foot of the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Mountains, World Heritage Site Drakenzicht Mountain Cottage nestles peacefully amid natural springs and streams. Our place is truly at the foot of the mountains.
This delightful country retreat is situated in the Central Drakensberg, very close to Champagne Sports Resort and the Drakensberg Sun Hotel and about 10km away from Champagne Castle Hotel and has a magnificent view of the Drakensberg mountains, including Giants Castle, Injisuti, Champagne Castle and Cleft Peak. The house overlooks a gorge with a small waterfall, the valley beneath and the panorama of the Central Drakensberg Mountain Peaks. If you are wondering what activities there are to do in the Central Drakensberg, then take a short drive to some of these attractions.
Accommodation at Drakenzicht Mountain Cottage:
The farm house can accommodate 8 adults in 4 bedrooms: 2 bedrooms with queen sized beds (main en suite), 1 bedroom with 2 single beds and another bedroom off the stoep with a bunker bed (sleeping 2).
Our private mountain cottage has three double bedrooms with a fourth smaller bedroom and two bathrooms (main en suite). The 4th bedroom, which is just off the verandah is smaller with a bunk beds.
The kitchen is modern and fully fitted, which is ideal for self catering stove/oven, microwave, fridges/freezer and all the cutlery, crockery and utensils you will need. For your convenience there is an automatic washing machine. There is a TV and satellite dish, with a DSTv decoder. (Only activated on request).
Drakenzicht Mountain Cottage has a lovely entertainment area under covered verandah, and the view of the Central Drakensberg mountains from the large tiled verandah is especially spectacular. The braai facility boasts the best view in South Africa according to the owner.
The house is surrounded by a beautiful sunny garden and there are benches dotted around this 50 acre property from which to admire the exceptional mountain views. One can take short walks on the property. This is the perfect self catering retreat in which to enjoy the peace, bird life and mountain views. It is reached by tarred road and is approximately 2km away from Champagne Sports Resort.
The house is perfectly positioned for exploring the various hiking routes of the Central Drakensberg as well as golf courses, and horse riding. It is a place of complete relaxation and tranquility.
What to do in Central Drakensberg
- Walking and hiking along streams, to waterfalls, into the mountains.
- The Drakensberg Boys Choir performs every Wednesday at 15:30 (during school terms) in the Drakensberg Auditorium, which is situated at the Choir School in the Champagne Valley, Central Drakensberg
- Game viewing on horseback at Spionkop Nature Reserve
- Horse riding in the Central Drakensberg Mountains
- Mountain biking in the Champagne Valley
- Championship Golf Course at Champagne Sports Resort
- 9 hole Golf course at Monks Cowl
- Monks Cowl Country Club offers excellent, affordable meals throughout the day with Local is Lekker specials every Monday.
- 9 hole Golf course at nearby Cathedral Peak
- On Air Helicopters based at Cathedral Peak offers a 15min or 30min scenic flight of the Drakensberg.
- The only San Museum in the world is available at Didima Camp at Cathedral Peak Hotel
- Mikes Pass on the Cathedral Peak road takes you to the crest of the Little Berg from where there are spectacular views of the majestic Drakensberg mountain range. A rock art interpretation centre is situated at the Didima camp at the foot of Mikes Pass.
- The Winterton Museum is open Monday to Saturday 09h00 to 13h00 and boasts a very informative San Gallery with many articles of interest.
- Rock Art sites: The Main Caves Museum at Giants Castle is an easy half hours walk from the Giants Castle main camp and the Battle Cave is relatively close to the Injisuthi camp.
- River rafting and quad biking can be arranged by Four Rivers Rafting and Adventures.
- At Falcon Ridge visitors can witness these mighty hunters of the sky swoop for the catch. Shows are held daily at 10h30 but are dependent on the weather.
- Boating on the lake and entertainment at the nearby Drakensberg Sun Hotel
- Ardmore Ceramics offers unique ceramic objects created by Zulu women and men, each piece is an individual work of art. The artists are provided with materials and location & their work is purchased by Ardmore Ceramics. Contact Details and physical address.
- Tree-top canopy expeditions.