Deception Valley Lodge, an oasis in the Kalahari of Botswana, a luxury lodge on the border of the Central Kalahari Game Reserve. Experience the Kalahari with Bushman trackers, to share their knowledge, while you can relax in total comfort at this unique destination.
Combining your visit of the Kalahari with the well-known area of the Okavango Delta, Chobe of the Savuti to the north and the famous Victoria Falls would ensure that your safari to Africa would remain a treasured memory.
When outsiders think of the Kalahari, the image they generally have is the red sands of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. But locals know it as a vast flatland of spectacular thunder-storms, old-fashioned villages, and friendly folk and when the rain comes, blizzards of butterflies.
What makes Deception Valley Lodge unique is the rare opportunity to meet and explore this remarkable environment with bushman Guides of the San peoples, one of the oldest cultures in Africa. Experience a walk with Bushmen trackers who will share their knowledge of medicinal plants and the environment.
Explore the bush on foot, while your guide will teach you of the hunting and survival skills, the culture and crafts of the San people, who over the centuries have adapted their lives to survive in the most inhospitable environment of them all.
Accommodation at Deception Valley Lodge:
Comfort set in vibrant and rustic coloured interiors, Deception Valley Lodge accommodates up to sixteen people on a sharing basis. The lodge is private and restful.
Chalets- 6 of the 8 accommodation facilities consist of luxury twin bedded rooms with en-suite Victorian style bathroom, an outside shower and a private spacious lounge. There is also a chalet with 2 inter-leading rooms for families.
The Kalahari Manor is a private facility which can accommodate a maximum of 4 guests with the exclusive use of your own private chef, services and game ranger. The 2 bedrooms each has its own spacious en-suite bathroom as well as two splash showers designed to pamper guests.
Each unit stands separately, on stilts connected with the main lodge by wooden walkways. The main complex boasts a dining room, lounge and bar area decorated in warm Kalahari colours making use of Bushmen and other African artefacts.
Clothing and Accessories:
- Layers are the best way to dress on Safari, due to fluctuating temperatures. We recommend cotton. Long sleeves and trousers will protect from both sun and insects. Colours should be neutral (beige, khaki, tan, ect).
- Fleece or a warm sweater, even in summer. Hat: broad-rimmed for protection against the sun. Sunglasses: Dark ones to cut the glare. Eye drops are recommended.
- Sunblock, insect repellent and lip salve. Shoes: good, sturdy closed shoes or boots and socks for walking. Flip flops or thongs for use in outdoor showers.
- Head torch is handy in the evenings. Binoculars: Each person should have their own so as not to miss out on any sightings. Binoculars and good cameras are an absolute must.
- Camera with spare batteries, memory sticks, film, and the correct charging apparatus. A Kikoi or light sarong has a multitude of uses. Most of the camps do provide the basic toiletries (shampoo, shower gel, soap and body lotion).
- Safaris with open 4X4 vehicles.
- Nature walks with experienced guides.
- Night drives to explore the nocturnal species.
- Guided walks with the Bushmen to explore their culture, survival and hunting skills and their extraordinary knowledge of the veldt and animal life.
- Bird watching - over 200 species, from the deck at the main lodge or in a hide at one of the water holes.
- Interact with the Bushmen of the Kalahari on one of the Cultural walks with Bushmen at Deception Valley Lodge.
- Specialized guided walks - survival of plant, animal and man in this arid semi desert.
- Up to 40 days, 30% deposit is forfeited.
- 39 to 30 days, 50% of total value of reservation.
- 30 days or less, 100% of total value of reservation.
Facilities & Services available:
Bar on the Premises
Parking (off-street - covered)
Deception Valley Lodge is a Game Lodge in Central Kalahari Game Reserve Kgalagadi Region Botswana