Experience the ambience of an old bygone era with modern facilities
The Dakota Lodge is the first Guest House establishment at the Rand Airport and the first in South Africa with an aviation theme, specifically to honour the venerable Douglas DC-3, DAKOTA.
The Dakota Lodge is part of the new development onto the original Hangar 5 at Rand Airport. Construction of the three story development has been ongoing for the last year and includes additional office space for our charter company, Springbok Classic Air, modern workshops for our maintenance organisation, Springbok Aviation Services, and briefing and lecture facilities for our flight school, Springbok Air Academy.
The Dakota Lodge has been designed by the architect Tienie Grobler of the well known Pretoria architect company Heyn Associates which has won numerous design awards over the last couple of years.
Situated only twenty minutes from OR Tambo Airport, the Dakota Lodge is only ten minutes away from the Bedford Centre in Bedford View and fifteen minutes away from the well known Eastgate shopping centre. Freeways in ALL directions are easily accessible from Rand Airport.
Apart from the many famous restaurants in the area, such as in the Bedford Centre and Eastgate Shopping Mall, the now, famous, Harvard Restaurant is only fifty meters away from the the Dakota Lodge.
The Harvard, restaurant offers a wide variety of food, ranging from traditional South African food to Pastas, including some of the best Pizzas to be found anywhere. Enjoy your meal in the open air area at the Harvard, whilst watching the aircraft moving around the airport.
From O R TAMBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT drive on R24 West, and from Witbank drive on N12 West:
- VEER LEFT onto N3 South to DURBAN. Continue on N3 South through next interchange to DURBAN. Then move to left lane and take next off-ramp 1,5 km further: RAND AIRPORT (Exit 106).
- At robot T-junction TURN LEFT onto Rand Airport Road = M46. Continue past next robot – road passes under bridge and later curves sharply left - airport is visible on right.
- TURN RIGHT at next robot T-junction - still Rand Airport Road
Drive carefully around sharp left bend – watch speed limit and continue past school for 1 km to intersection robot.
- TURN RIGHT into Russel Road (Burgerland Roadhouse and shops on corner). TURN RIGHT at next robot (SASOL filling station on left)
At STOP TURN LEFT and then sharp right - find the main entrance to Rand Airport.
Incorporating an aviation theme into the décor of the Dakota Lodge will afford our guests the opportunity to sample the ambience of old time travel, combined with modern-Incorporating an aviation theme into the décor of the Dakota Lodge affords our guests the opportunity to sample the ambience of old time travel, combined with modern-day luxuries.
Every room represents an aircraft which featured prominently in the long career of Capt Flippie Vermeulen.
Each fully-carpeted, en-suite room features:
- 4 x Digital Satellite TV Channels.
- 110/220 VOLT.
- A Kitchenette with, fridge, microwave & kettle.
- Modern bathrooms, 20 with showers, 4 with baths.
- All rooms with individual air conditioning
- A 66 cm Flat screen HD Television with PC connection