Cherry Tree Cottage has proved to be an ideal base from which to discover Egoli - City of Gold. While in Johannesburg you might like to do some of the following:
- Melville Koppies Iron Age site
- World Heritage Site, Cradle of Humankind (40 minute drive)
- Newtown Cultural Precinct (includes MuseumAfrica; Sci Bono Discovery Centre)
- Constitution Hill with the new Court, the Fort, and old prison buildings
- Rock Art Museum at Wits University
- Planetarium, Wits University
- Apartheid Museum (on the way to Soweto)
- Monte Casino, Fourways (with wonderful bird aviary)
- Gold Reef City
- Rosebank Roof Top Market (Sundays and Public Holidays only)
- Newtown Cultural Precinct (night life at Kippies, Turbine Hall, Electric workshop, Carfax; Market Theatre and Moyos Restaurant)
Some local activities/attractions to wet your appetite:
- Close to Melville, Cresta, Randburg, Parkhurst, Greenside, Parkview, Parktown, Rosebank, Hyde Park and Sandton.
- Linden boasts a covered/heated swimming pool, with Emmerentia Dam and Delta Park Nature Reserve in the vicinity.
- There are 6 restaurants nearby. Angelo's Deli, Satori, Bikaner, Piccolo, A la Bouffe,and STIRS.
- The "Gourmet Mile of Johannesburg" - Parkhurst and Greenside, Melville and Rosebank is close by.
- The Brightwater Common & Monte Casino provide a wide variety of entertainment. With top restaurants & cinemas & major shopping malls at Cresta and Rosebank nearby.
- Sandton City & Mandela Square, The Gautrain and all the business and tourist facilities in Rosebank are nearby.
- Take time out to visit the Apartheid Museum & Gold Reef City Theme park, Constitution Hill, the Origins Centre, Maropeng, Lesedi Cutural Village.
- Further afield is the Sun City, Lost City and Valley of the waves and Pilansberg Nature Reserve.
- We are centrally situated for St Augustines, RAU, University of Johannesburg and WITS University.
- The Eye Clinic in Beyers Naude Drive, MTN, Rhema, Randburg, MNet are close.
- An ideal retreat & convenient for all hospitals whether it be: the Donald Gordon Medical Centre; or the Netcare facilities at the Garden City, Milpark, Parklane or Rosebank Clinics; or the Medi-Clinic Hospitals at Sandton; or the Afrox Healthcare units at the Flora or Brenthurst Clinics.
- We're close to Hackle Brooke, Glenhove Conference Centre, Sandton Convention Centre, Coca Cola Dome and further to Expo Centre at NASREC, Gallagher Convention Centre.
- We are a stones throw away from some of the best golf courses in Johannesburg; Wanderers, Randpark, Parkview, Bryanston Country Club, Houghton, Royal Johannesburg and Kensington Golf Club.
DIRECTIONS TO CHERRY TREE COTTAGE-57 NINTH STREET LINDEN:
Take the off ramp on the M1North at Empire Rd/University of the Witwatersrand.
Take R55-Auckland Park, & turn left onto Empire road travelling towards the Milpark Hospital.
Bear left at the onramp marked M71-Emmarentia onto the fly-over to Barry Hertzog Rd.
You will pass the Milpark Business School on the left
You will pass through the S-bends with Melville on you left and Parkview Golf Course on your right.
Then on past Emmarentia- shopping centre on your left and Greenside on the right.
Continue till you see the Sunny Shell Garage and Mosque -take the LH fork into Linden Rd.
Continue down the hill, through the lights in the dip and up the steep hill- 3rd Avenue.
Keep the Town houses on your left and the St Charles Catholic Church on your right.
Pass through two circular roundabouts in this road and then turn left into 9th Street.
Look for Cherry Tree Cottage 57 Ninth Street Linden on the right
Alternatively,from Pretoria or JIA
If you know the Jhb(M1) & Germiston/Alberton(N3) & Roodepoort/Krugerdorp (N1)(concrete highway) interchange
Stay in the middle lane of the N1 highway & come round past Rivonia, William Nicol Ave & continue till you reach the Lanseria/ Hans Strydom R512 offramp. Take it.
Turn left (Olivedale Clinic is to the right) and come past Mintek, Dept Home Affairs, Damelin Campus & Brightwater Common, Randburg Hoerskool, Medicross Clinic & Judges Ave.
You will see a garage on the left just as you enter a bend to the right and get to the Darrenwood roundabout - Turn left up the hill into 3rd Ave. Follow the Map.
If you miss the first off ramp above, you get a second chance!
Take the M5- Beyers Naude off ramp and turn left towards the water tower on Northcliff Hill. (Wilgeheuvel Hospital is to the right.)
Come up through Blackheath with Cresta on the left and up to Northcliff Corner - Follow the map.