Camdeboo National Park provides the visitor with insights into the unique landscape and ecosystem of the Karoo, not to mention awesome scenic beauty. Formed hundreds of millions of years ago, the Karoo of South Africa is one of the great natural wonders of the world.
A unique feature of the 14 500-hectare park is its location, practically surrounding the town of Graaff-Reinet in the Eastern Cape.
The greater portion of the Camdeboo National Park is situated between 740 and 1480 metres above sea level on the foothills of the Sneeuberg range, while a small section of the low lying-plains is included. The Nqweba Dam lies within the park and covers about 1000 hectares when full.
At some places, dolerites form jointed pillars and the best examples of which are found in the Valley of Desolation where erosion of the softer sedimentary beds has left dolerite pillars which rise to heights of 90 to 120 metres.
Camdeboo National Parks major tourism draw card is the scenic Valley of Desolation, a national monument, while its Game Viewing Area is home to buffalo and antelope such as eland, gemsbok, red hartebeest, springbok and blesbok.
Gate entrance and closing times
Jan - Feb / 06:00 - 20:00
Mar / 06:00 - 19:30
Apr / 06:30 - 19:00
May / 07:00 - 18:30
June / 07:00 - 18:00
July - Aug / 07:00 - 18:30
Sept / 06:30 - 19:00
Oct / 06:00 - 19:30
Nov / 06:00 - 20:00
Dec / 06:00 - 20:30
Accommodation in Camdeboo National Park
- 15 caravan/tent sites (i.e. all one size, big enough for caravans)
- all sites have power supply and braai unit
- communal ablutions with showers & toilets, including access for mobility challenged visitors
- communal kitchen with stove plates, deep freeze, microwave, kettle, toaster and wash basin
- maximum 6 people per site
- some shade from Acacia trees (running donation campaign to get funds for planting Karee trees)
Lakeview Tented Camp
- 4 tented suites that can be booked individually
- each tent has two single beds with bedding and towels supplied, 2 camp chairs and a table, braai unit, communal kitchen with electrical stove plates, microwave, kettle, toaster, wash basin.
- all cooking & eating utensils are provided.
- communal ablutions with shower, toilets
Facilities such as fuel stations, ATMs, banks, shops and restaurants are available in the nearby town of Graaff-Reinet.
Accommodation in Graaff Reinet
Camdeboo National Park encircles the town of Graaff Reinet which has many accommodation options.
When entering Graaff-Reinet, you will enter on College Road. College Road becomes Church Street. The Old Dutch Reformed Church is dead centre of this road and vehicles can only turn left around the church and will come to a stop street.
Turn left at the stop street into Caledon Street and proceed down the street.
At the four-way stop, turn right into the road towards Murraysburg. Keep going onto the road to the Valley of Desolation.
The entrance to the park is 8km from Graaff-Reinet on the Murraysburg road.
Lakeview Tent (CTT2): 2 single beds, Bedding and Towels Supplied, Braai area, Communal ablutions, Communal fully equipped kitchen, Communal kitchen with electricity supply, No smoking, Table & 2 chairs.
Nqweba Camp Site (CK6P): Braai area, Communal ablutions, Communal Kitchen, Extra vehicles are charged a fee per night, PowerPoint.