Nestled in the Kouga Mountain range, Bo Kouga Mountain Retreat provides the ultimate getaway from the chaos of modern city living.
Here on this 300 hectare mountain retreat you can explore nature at its best. Your stay promises laid back days of tranquility amidst fauna, flora and starlit nights.
Here you will find dramatic landscape, sensational panoramic mountain views and cool streams. Nature lovers will love Bo Kouga Mountain Retreat where birds fly in abandon, wild flowers carpet the countryside and the occasional leopards roam the mountain ravines.
We offer peace and quiet where you can set your own pace. Swim, walk, hike, or just laze around your cottage, the choice is yours. A third of the farm is unexplored mountains, which is ideal for hiking and discovering other vegetation and streams.
A wonderful experience is the excellent 45 minute walk though the Game Camp (with Springbok, Eland and Zebra) to the secluded permanent Waterfall where you can enjoy your own picnic, swim and relax surrounded by nature.
The farm buildings and accommodation have been extensively renovated. The interiors are well appointed with your utmost comfort in mind. Some of the out buildings date back to the 1860s including two of the four cottages. We are ideally situated between the Garden Route, R62 and the Baviaanskloof. A country vacation at its best.
Accommodation at Bo Kouga Mountain Retreat:
The house was purposefully built for its location and view of both the mountain range and valley view. The house accommodates 8 people and is ideal for people looking for the tranquil farm environment but with a few of the “at home” luxuries.
This free standing Cottage dating back to the 1860`s, is stylishly renovated and decorated. It is ideal for 4 guests but can sleep 5.
The main bedroom is fitted with an antique double bed and an antique wardrobe. The second bedroom is fitted with two single beds also with an antique wardrobe. Both rooms beds are fitted with good quality bedding and matresses. The third bed (single) is situated in the lounge area.
This is the pet friendly cottage at Bo Kouga Mountain Retreat. It sleeps four people in two bedrooms. The main bedroom is fitted with a built in bed with a dressing table. The second bedroom has two single beds and all the beds are fitted with good quality bedding and matresses. In the lounge area there is a single bed and a sleeper couch. The bathroom has a shower, wash basin and toilet.
A newly built stylish cottage awaits you. It is ideal for 2 guests but can sleep 3. The bedroom is fitted with a queen sized bed with good quality bedding and mattress, a built-in wardrobe and heater for your convenience and comfort. A sleeper couch for a third guest is situated in the lounge. The bathroom has a bath, shower, wash basin and toilet.
This is the largest of the cottages with two bathrooms (one en-suite), two bedrooms. One with a queen size bed and the other with two single beds. The unit is equipped with with a automatic washing machine, dishwasher, stove, fridge and patio with braai facilities. There is a open plan lounge and dining room.
- Situated in a magnificent scenic mountain area. For your enjoyment there is a gorgeous mountain road where you can hike, walk, Mountain Biking or use your own quad bike (silenced bikes only).
- Swim in the cool mountain pools, waterfall or dams. For the bird lovers there are some amazing species to be seen. Home to the black eagle and our national bird the blue crane are frequently spotted here.
- Occasionally we enjoy some winter snowfalls sending icy cold weather up north. Located in the Western Cape we enjoy winter rainfalls and much of the Cape weather. Summers are warm to hot with mostly cool evenings.
- Bo Kouga is the ideal getaway should you wish to get away from it all. Relax, breathe and find yourself again. A great place to just sit and reflect on life, meditate and be at one with nature.
- At Bo Kouga we encourage you to enjoy the peacefulness and beauty that surrounds you. We respect your privacy at all times.
1860’s Cape Dutch style House which has been beautifully renovated. Two very comfortable bedrooms. Room 1 - Queen Bed. Room 2 - 2 x singles beds. Open plan Lounge - 1 x single bed. Bathroom with shower. Kitchen fully equipped, towels and bedding provided.
Two Bedrooms - 1 x Queen & 2 x single beds. Open plan kitchen equipped with stove, microwave, fridge and essentials. One bathroom with shower. Indoor fireplace. Comfortably furnished. Pet friendly with dedicated garden area attached to cottage.
Stylishly furnished 1 bedroomed cottage. Open plan kitchen with stove, microwave, fridge and essentials. Lounge with fireplace. Bathroom with bath and shower. Built in braai on the patio. Suitable for a romantic getaway for two.
Two Bedrooms. Bedroom 1 - Queen bed en-suite. Bedroom 2 - 2 x single beds. Open plan lounge with 1 x single bed. Bathroom with shower. Kitchen with stove, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine. Indoor fireplace. Built in braai on patio.
From Cape Town/George:
- Take the N9 out of George. Over the Outeniqua Pass continue for approximately 90 km. 15 kilometres before Uniondale take the R62 turnoff towards Joubertina/Humansdorp.
- You will pass Avontuur on your right hand side. There are two routes to take to get to Bo Kouga Mountain Retreat: The first is the De Hoop Road from the Uniondale Pass side and the other is the De Hoop Road from the R62 Bo Kouga Turnoff side.
- The De Hoop gravel road is in fair condition and can be traversed by ordinary vehicles although we do recommend that you travel at a low speed (50 km) as there are some roughish areas enroute.
- The Route via the Bo Kouga R62 turnoff is probably better suited for ordinary sedan vehicles. From the Uniondale Pass Side: Just after Avontuur, drive over the bridge, turn left onto the R339 in the direction of Uniondale. Due to the R339 being damaged by floods, the R339 Sign Board is covered at the moment.
- There is also a sign board saying Road Closed. But the pass is actually open and used everyday (the damaged parts are about 8 kilometres along this road). After about 3 km along the R339, Turn Right onto the De Hoop Road.
- Continue along this gravel road for 21 km passing through two gates (which must be opened and closed). You will see the sign for Bo Kouga Mountain Retreat.
- Continue with this servitude, pass through the gate and carry on with the road past the green and white cottages to the Main House/Reception. The Route via the Bo Kouga R62 turnoff: Go past Avontuur and continue straight going past Haarlem and Ongelegen.
- Just after the Ongelegen River look out for the Bo Kouga Turnoff/it is easy to miss. Turn left at the Bo Kouga turnoff (you will see large blue gum trees) and continue for 10 kilometres to a t-junction.
- Turn left at the t-junction and continue for another 13 km until you reach the sign for Bo Kouga.